PDA

View Full Version : Weight obsession

tot_Ou_tard
June 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
You often read about people discussing the weight of a guitar, with light guitars being the ideal.

Why? Do so many have back issues?

Rocket
June 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yes... I do!

Plank_Spanker
June 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I dion't think it's back issues, though some players genuinely have them. I think its more the way they are worn on the strap and the strap itself.

Let's talk the classic heavyweight - the LP...........

They're traditionally fairly heavy guitars. Lots of guys like to wear them down around their knees with skinny straps. That would wear just about anybody out over a night's gig.

Wear it at a sensible height, with a wide (even padded) strap, and you can play even the heaviest LP all night long.

But in the end, it's what we all individually prefer. You'll never hear a hardcore LP player whine about the weight.

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I don't gig and I don't stand much while playing, but I like a light guitar. I like the 8 lbs or less. The ARC300 was nice for size and weight. When I look at guitars I always am interested in the weight even if it's not a top priority, light weight is a preference.

I'm able to spin either one around my body, but when the strap pops, my wife appreciates getting hit in the head with the lighter guitars versus one of the heavier ones.

Despite Planks "whining' comment:D , the weight is one of the reasons I don't like an LP (and of course the price).

Plank_Spanker
June 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Despite Planks "whining' comment:D , the weight is one of the reasons I don't like an LP (and of course the price).

But - you're not a hard core LP player.............................so I guess I'll let you slide....................:D

oldguy
June 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Wear it at a sensible height, with a wide (even padded) strap, and you can play even the heaviest LP all night long.

But in the end, it's what we all individually prefer. You'll never hear a hardcore LP player whine about the weight.

Right you are.:AOK: Years ago I learned exactly that w/ a Les Paul Custom.
A $20 strap made all the difference.:beer: I have the 10 lb. Agile LP now, and it's weight isn't an issue. If I had back problems it would be a different story, though, I imagine.:confused:

zeusse
June 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I have back problems but it ain't from the guitar I keep that fairly high....its probably the 20years of driving a truck that have done my back in.....ewwww its painfull most days

tot_Ou_tard
June 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I always stand while playing, my back is fine, I wear the guitar comfortably high, & I like widish straps so I guess I'll continue not to give a whit about weight.

I really feel for those of you with back problems. Chronic pain sucks.

street music
June 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I deal with back pain a lot and if I did gig and stand a lot while playing it could be a factor. I know from wearing a lineman belt that would weigh in 25 to 30lbs most of the time around my waist was hard on the back.

dws
July 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I don't have back problems of any sort, but all I know is that my SG is very light and I never have once thought it to be heavy when playing (standing up) for an extended period of time.

According to people I've talked to, a Joe Satriani strap, like the one I have, will prevent pain from playing a real LP.

My next guitar WILL BE a LP, so we'll see. :confused:

Plank_Spanker
July 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't have back problems of any sort, but all I know is that my SG is very light and I never have once thought it to be heavy when playing (standing up) for an extended period of time.

According to people I've talked to, a Joe Satriani strap, like the one I have, will prevent pain from playing a real LP.

My next guitar WILL BE a LP, so we'll see. :confused:

Unless you buy a Custom Shop or a used LP older than 2006, the guitar will be weight relieved or chambered. My 2006 Standard is weight relieved and tips the scale at just over 8 pounds - a little more than one of my Strats. My Studio LP is the real deal chunk at just over 11 pounds.