PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UK

kipper
June 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Just saying hello to everyone on here, have been lurking for a while but haven't got round to posting much as yet. I recognise some of the people here from the Valvetronix forum, which I hang around on from time to time.

A little bit about me....

I have always been into music in a big way, since a young age. I learned piano to a very good standard when I was young...then going on to play keyboards in several bands in my late teens through to my late 20's when my career and other things seemed to take over and I gave it all up. I'm now 39.

About 18 months back, I was looking at a really nice Stratocaster in the window of a music store and I said to my wife "I'd like to start playing an instrument again, I just wish I could find the time".

My wife encouraged me and said it would do me good, even just to have an instrument to doodle around on...so I decided I'd have a go at the guitar, just for fun and nothing else, playing at home and perhaps the occasional "bedroom jam" with a very good friend of mine who lives nearby who's been playing for 25+ years.

What's nice is I'm doing this purely as a hobbyist...I certainly am not aiming to be the next Eric Clapton or anything like that (I won't be giving him any sleepless nights, put it that way). And having done "the band thing" for many years, I've no desire to go back to it. Aside from not having the time for all that, I just enjoy playing at home (well, learning at this stage I should say).

So...it was a year ago this month that my foray into the world of guitar playing began. As a keyboard player in several bands over the years, I'd always been a frustrated guitarist! Ironically my wife used to play piano in her younger days and we are now thinking of getting a Roland digital piano to get her tinkling the ivories again...and no doubt I will join in too even though I'm rusty as hell at playng piano!

I got myself nice red chrome/maple MIA Strat (the one you see in my avatar and in part a birthday present from my wife), soon followed by a Boss ME-50 and then, via a Vox AD50VT, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp (and soon after that a Dr Z Air Brake attenuator to save the windows in my house and my marriage). Quite a nice little rig which should keep me entertained for many years to come methinks.

This forum seems to be a good place to chat with a diverse group of musicians, and I've already pestered a couple of forum members via PM's for their advice (special thanks to TS808 here!) and I look forward to spending more time on here...in between trying to get my head round this piece of wood with 6 strings on it :D

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Kipper, an official welcome to you. When I commented about Leo's family tree, I was hoping for a big discount.

I think you will like it here. There are a lot of Fender fretters and a number of us starting at a later stage in life. What's nice about this forum is the good mix and some very talented and knowledgeable people.

Looking forward to some good discussion and hope you are a guy with a good sense of humor because we need some balance and the rest of us are just so damn serious.

BTW, nice gear.

kipper
June 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Kipper, an official welcome to you. When I commented about Leo's family tree, I was hoping for a big discount.

I think you will like it here. There are a lot of Fender fretters and a number of us starting at a later stage in life. What's nice about this forum is the good mix and some very talented and knowledgeable people.

Looking forward to some good discussion and hope you are a guy with a good sense of humor because we need some balance and the rest of us are just so damn serious.

BTW, nice gear.

Thanks for the kind words, just strum.

I certainly do have a good sense of humour. I believe playing music should be fun above all else and not taken too seriously, otherwise you end up in in danger of disappearing up a certain part of your anatomy :rotflmao:

Yeah, the gear I've acquired is really nice and suits my needs perfectly.

It can actually be an advantage when you have a wife with expensive taste! To quote: "don't get the Mexican Strat, get the American as it will be a better longer term investment". You can't argue with that!

Although I did have some explaining to do recently when I came back from the music store - having taken a £200 Vox amp in which was faulty - and returning with a £500 Fender Hot Rod. "A good investment, you did the right thing" was her eventual take on it, after I'd explained everything. You can't argue with that either! Guess I'm a lucky guy :D

markb
June 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hi, Kipper.

kipper
June 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes here...

:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
June 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Nice intro...welcome kipper.

...in between trying to get my head round this piece of wood with 6 strings on it :D
Use your fingers grasshopper.

One isn't meant to take headbanging literally :rockon: .

just strum
June 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Nice intro...welcome kipper.

Use your fingers grasshopper.

One isn't meant to take headbanging literally :rockon: .

Kipper, this is one of the more serious fretter's I was referring to - you'll never get Tot to take things on the lighter side.

tot_Ou_tard
June 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Kipper, this is one of the more serious fretter's I was referring to - you'll never get Tot to take things on the lighter side.
That's because I don't have an acoustic yet.

kipper
June 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
:) :AOK: :D :bravo: :beer:

warren0728
June 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
welcome kipper....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
June 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Welcome kipper, glad to have more UK'ers on board!

ET335
June 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Welcome kipper!! Great people and Great players here and I know you will like it here.:beer:

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Welcome Kipper! I love a lot of music out of the UK. This is a fun place to hang while getting back into music. Enjoy!

oldguy
June 30th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Welcome to TheFret, kipper! :D
Good intro, and your setup (MIA Strat & HRD amp) is an awesome combo.
A cranked tube amph + Strat can do about any style music, and do it well.
(Especially BLUES, Blues, blues ......). :AOK: :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Welcome kipper! Isn't a kipper a herring or something?

http://www.fawltysite.net/Images/kipper02.jpg

http://www.fawltysite.net/Images/kipper04.jpg

:AOK:

Hopefully you are a fresh kipper and not one that's gone off. As the photos above indicate, spoilt kippers can mean nasty business.

tot_Ou_tard
June 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Yes, & they are great with eggs for breakfast.

Add a little black pudding with fried mushrooms & tomatoes (hold the baked beans & cheap sausages) & you can can jam all day long.

luvmyshiner
June 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the Fret Kipper.

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Add a little black pudding with fried mushrooms & tomatoes (hold the baked beans & cheap sausages) & you can can jam all day long.

Wot, no bangers'n'mash? :eek:

Jimi75
June 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Welcome Kipper! You will like this place a lot.
:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
June 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Wot, no bangers'n'mash? :eek:
That's for lunch wit' a coupl'a pints.

scgmhawk
June 30th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Welcome, Kipper! :beer:

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM
That's for lunch wit' a coupl'a pints.

http://icons.iconator.com/770/ICONATOR_5b12416f0da7f24973595aa170c28f4d.jpg

mrmudcat
June 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Welcome Brother!

Mr Grumpy
June 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hoorah - another UK Fretter!. Whereabouts on our tiny Island are you?. I too am a late returner but never had the musical background you had. I was a noodler in my teens and now im a 42 year old noodler, approaching a local jam with some degree of trepidation. Though not playing much these days due to allsorts of work/family/lack of money stuff.

kipper
June 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM

http://www.fawltysite.net/Images/kipper02.jpg

http://www.fawltysite.net/Images/kipper04.jpg

:AOK:

Hopefully you are a fresh kipper and not one that's gone off. As the photos above indicate, spoilt kippers can mean nasty business.

:rotflmao:

My forum name is actually nothing to do with fish! It's actually a nickname I've had for as long I can remember and derives from people using it to shorten the first part of my surname....which shall remain a secret but PM me and I might let you in on it. Then again I might not :)

kipper
June 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hoorah - another UK Fretter!. Whereabouts on our tiny Island are you?. I too am a late returner but never had the musical background you had. I was a noodler in my teens and now im a 42 year old noodler, approaching a local jam with some degree of trepidation. Though not playing much these days due to allsorts of work/family/lack of money stuff.

Thank you fellow Brit. I'm in the Home Counties, not far from London itself. Good luck with the jam, I'm sure you'll be fine. just relax and go with the flow.

It's always good to hear about people getting the guitar bug in their 30s and 40s. It's never too late to learn, that's my view. And yes, I can relate to the lack of playing as much as you'd like due to the work/family/lack of money thing!

ted s
June 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome Kipper, mind if we just call you Bruce to keep it simple ?

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Kipper! Glad to have you here. Nice selection of quality gear you have there! :AOK:

player
June 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
welcome kipper....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

To paraphrase warren Welcome kipper I know you will like it here :D

markb
June 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM

And devilled kidneys (just for Swede ;) ).
Whadyamean cheap sausages. That's authentic British cuisine :rotflmao:
I may live in NZ but I'm a pom and so I can do these jokes :) .

Brian Krashpad
July 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Welcome Kipper, mind if we just call you Bruce to keep it simple ?

That's Oz, not Blighty!

ted s
July 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Damn, I've been sitting on that for a while just waiting to use it !

thearabianmage
July 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Another Uk'er! Welcome Kipper!

Tip: Watch your blue birds and mind your car spokes, some people aren't too used to havin' a bubble bath the British way. Not that I'm British - which would explain my Cockney slang (if you understood it to begin with)

Up the apple and pears for me for a bit of a good night's battle ship. . .

kipper
July 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Everyone, I really appreciate all the welcomes. Thank you.

I think I'm going to enjoy hanging out here. There's some real characters on this forum, that's for sure!

:rockon:

player
July 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Everyone, I really appreciate all the welcomes. Thank you.

I think I'm going to enjoy hanging out here. There's some real characters on this forum, that's for sure!

:rockon:

in the immortal words of Lynard Skynard - you got that right :D