PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new Xaviere

scgmhawk
June 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've been wanting a new "strat" type guitar (and I don't have an SSS) for awhile and pulled the trigger on the XV870 (Surf Green -- we'll see if that was a smart decision or not!). :bravo: I decided that I didn't want to spend much money, at this point in time, which this wasn't! I was somewhat interested in the Squier Deluxes after reading all of the positive feedback about those but they're back ordered until the end of July and I can't wait that long!

I was going to order new pickups for my Floyd Rose anyway from GFS to try to get that "Vintage" strat sound and decided, for another $75, to get a new guitar instead. The reviews on the pickups that are included have all been very positive. And, the reviews of the Xaviere's quality at this price point have been positive as well. I'm probably not the best reviewer but, when it arrives, I'll do my best to provide anyone who's interested with some solid feedback.

Spudman
June 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'll be really interested in hearing what you think of it after you receive it and especially seeing pictures of it.

Congrats (when it comes).

sumitomo
June 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM
That's great,let us know how you like it.The lesser in price axes these days blow my mind,they are just about the price of a pup swap and the pups they come with arent bad either,they come along way from the old tesco del ray.Sumi:D

F_BSurfer
July 9th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I think you will be very pleased with your purchase I ordered a cream strat for a B-Day gift received it Monday. Setup was perfect thing stay in tune, pickups sound really good was set a little high on the one I received easy fix. the only thing i don't like is the gloss neck makes it sticky to play ,this is also easy fix for me will take it apart when I re string it and de gloss the neck.Ordered with the case and for $40 this thing is really nice nice and solid totally blows away MF strat case. Needless to say second one already on order for the gift this one is staying home with me. To me this is better than the MIM strats it stays in tune better nut tuners and block.Will post pic when I have more time

scgmhawk
July 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I did receive mine last week. I haven't much of a chance to play it and wanted to post some pics -- which I will do. I am very impressed with the guitar cosmetically. The neck sits tight in the pocket. There are no flaws that I can find on the body. The neck has some what looks like rough spots at the edge of the fretboard that were glossed over so it's still very smooth. I have some fret buzz that I'm trying to cure. I really like the pickups and all of the hardware seems to be quality -- came with upgraded tremelo block, graphite nut, tuners seem good. One thing that I've experienced that I've read on other reviews of the Xaviere's is that the Tone knob doesn't really taper off. Nothing really happens until you hit 4 and then that's it. So you don't get a full range of "tone". No big deal to me and maybe it's an easy fix too. The Volume rolls off nicely. The guitar ships with 500k volume pot but if you ask, Jay will include a 250k (more vintage) pot at no charge.

I am really happy, especially considering the price but not just because of it. I wish I could compare it to MIMs or other higher priced strats but I don't have that frame of reference. But, other reviews (including surfer's) all say that these guitars compare favorably with the MIMs (and I believe the GFS pickups are better than the MIM stocks from what I've read/heard) for a little more than 1/2 the price. Definitely worth checking out in my opinion. I'm happy with my purchase.

KeysBear
July 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
My Xavier XV820 arrived on Tuesday. The ash body and transparent honey finish. The pics at GFS do not do justice to the quality of the finish. The setup was a bit high so I lowered it and set the intonation. I haven't been able to get the low E string as low as I'm comfortable with maybe because the nut is cut very low. The stock pups are good quality but I'm not sold on them quite yet.

Keys

sumitomo
July 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds like Ill have to get one to try out.Sumi:D

scgmhawk
July 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Here's some pics of the new Xaviere. I wasn't sure how to post them so you'll need to click on the link. http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k449/scgmhawk/. If I can figure out how to post clips, I will!

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
Beautiful!

How does she play/sound? :rockon:

scgmhawk
July 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Initially, the neck took a little getting used to for me. It's got a gloss coating that makes it slower than I was accustomed. But I think it's just a matter of it being different than I'm used to. The more I play it, the easier it gets to play. I believe that the gloss will wear away over time also. I will figure out how to post some clips shortly so you can hear for yourselves.

Robert
July 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cool, we'd like to hear it.

You can remove some of the gloss by using fine steel wool. Just don't rub off all the finish. I took some of the shine off my SX bass, and it's much better now.