PDA

View Full Version : Envious of SVL and other non sequiturs

aeolian
June 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I read Steve's post about his son playing for an audience and I am envious. My children are 14 and 12 and each of them did their 6th grade in band, but since then they have shown no interest in learning how to play guitar. I'm so willing to teach them if they want to, but so far no luck.

I have been playing music with a keyboard player. Over the weekend when we got together he recruited his 15-year old son to play drums with us. He has been taking lessons for about 2 years and it was a blast to have him play with us. I can just see doing that with my kids, but ....

I replied to DVM's post about his daughter's excellent achievement in high school. There I mentioned that my daughter did really well in middle school. As a reward she just finished a trip to the East Coast with some classmates where they visited Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, New York and other places. One of the places they went to was Central Park and she came back with these attached pictures. I had to explain to her about John Lennon's murder in New York. She knows of the Beatles and John Lennon, but she is not aware of how he died.

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/photos/sf1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/photos/sf2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/photos/sf3.jpg

Spudman
June 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hopefully the spark will ignite within them sometime. You just be ready to fan the flame when it does. If that doesn't work tell them that music is the only way to get rich and see the world these days. (I know it isn't the truth, but if it works to get them playing then what the heck, eh?);)

Let me take you down.....

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I would have liked for my kids to take an interest in music or a continued interest, but they need to pursue their desires not mine. My son was in marching band and jazz band in HS, but decided he didn't want to pursue it when he started college. My daughter played clarinet for a month and then decided she wanted to pursue art and photography.

I'm happy for Steve and anyone else who has kids that are into guitar or drums. It would be nice to sit down and play guitar with the kids after work, but envious - no. I'm happy with what my kids have chosen.

aeolian
June 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm envious, but that does not mean I intend to push my children in any direction. The biggest blessing in my life has been my parents' letting every one of their children to choose what they want to do with their lives. I want to be just like them in that respect.

I remember when my daughter was in 6th grade and took up clarinet for band. We occasionally would play duets with me playing guitar and she clarinet. It was a little difficult to have to transpose from C to Bb but it was always fun. With my son who just finished 6th grade and played trumpet, he's no longer playing, but I have heard him on our keyboard playing some of the same melodies that he played on trumpet. The fact that he is interested enough to do that, and that he is capable of finding the right keys to play the melodies is encouraging. If he is like most kids he will discover rock and roll in the next couple of years, maybe then he'll want to rock out with my guitars.

Rocket
June 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I would have liked for my kids to take an interest in music or a continued interest, but they need to pursue their desires not mine.
Exactly right!
Children should never feel pressured or obligated to be the Mini-Me's of their ancestors. Just donate your half of their genetic ingredients and count your blessings.

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM
LOL! Thanks Aeolian! I do appreciate the gifts in my life and that is one. My son had to find his own way into music though, and who knows how long he will stay motivated. My first attempts at getting him to play were not successful as my aspirations would get mixed up with his. I had to back off and let him explore it for himself. My mom's setting the timer a half an hour daily for piano practice was not any fun for me, and I did not do that, but I have to really watch for pushing in other ways, or I risk doing the same things to my kids. So anyhow, I hope he keeps it up but need let it be about his discovery of music, not mine.

just strum
June 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm envious, but that does not mean I intend to push my children in any direction.

I know, I realize my sense of timing and wording may have sounded as if I might be criticizing you, but that was not the intent.

I was just stating my personal feeling that really had nothing to do with you. My point was and is simply support there desires as long as they are positive. I mean if they want to be drug runners, you might want to draw the line.