PDA

View Full Version : VH1 Classic The History of Rock 'N' Roll: Punk

warren0728
June 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
i know this is a long shot but does anyone have a copy of "VH1 Classic The History of Rock 'N' Roll: Punk" there were several episodes in this series but a good friend of mine (my green les paul special in my avatar was his) was in a couple segments of the "punk" episode....

i don't think it is available for purchase (at least i can't find it anywhere) so i was hoping maybe someone here recorded it....

thanks,
ww :greenguitar:

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I would love to see that too. But dang, I remember when VH-1 started. It seems strange to say VH-1 and Punk in the same sentence. LOL!

street music
July 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Check for that on Amazon.com, they have a lot of that type of items.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Check for that on Amazon.com, they have a lot of that type of items.
yeah...i checked amazon....they have some vh1 shows but not "the history of rock and roll" ones...only way to get it is if someone recorded it.

i'm sure they will run the series again sometime....will just have to keep checking the vh1 site...

ww

Spudman
July 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I found this multi part series on You Tube. Maybe it has what you are looking for?
gP2FQmsUdgw

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
that's not it....the one i'm looking for was produced by vh1....thanks though!

ww

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I am pretty sure I have a copy of it somewhere Warren, on videotape though. I currently don't have any way to make a copy, unless I were to take it to one of those commercial videotaping services that will dupe things for you. It's not a commercial copy, just one I made off the air as it was broadcast.

If you want to borrow it when you swing through next month, no problem.

R_of_G
July 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
the one i'm looking for was produced by vh1

If you're talking about the one that they air on VH-1 Classic, it was not produced by VH-1. It was originally produced by and aired on PBS. You can buy a very overpriced DVD set of the whole thing from the PBS site. It airs on VH-1 Classic because they show a lot of music documentaries, but it is otherwise unconnected with VH-1.

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I am pretty sure I have a copy of it somewhere Warren, on videotape though. I currently don't have any way to make a copy, unless I were to take it to one of those commercial videotaping services that will dupe things for you. It's not a commercial copy, just one I made off the air as it was broadcast.

If you want to borrow it when you swing through next month, no problem.
that would be great....if it is the show i'm looking for i'll have it transfered to dvd for both of us!

ww

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
If you're talking about the one that they air on VH-1 Classic, it was not produced by VH-1. It was originally produced by and aired on PBS. You can buy a very overpriced DVD set of the whole thing from the PBS site. It airs on VH-1 Classic because they show a lot of music documentaries, but it is otherwise unconnected with VH-1.
thanks...i'll check out the pbs site and see if it's the show i'm looking for...

thanks,
ww

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
thanks...i'll check out the pbs site and see if it's the show i'm looking for...

thanks,
ww

I believe he's right, I think when I saw it it was airing on PBS.

The logo for it was a flaming guitar, iirc. Here we go:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71X1GQQWJQL._SS500_.gif

Btw, after doing some digging, if you saw it on VH-1, we're talking about 2 different series. Time-Warner has a similar 10-hour series called the "History of Rock N Roll," which may be what you're thinking of. You can buy that one here:

http://www.shoppbs.org/sm-pbs-history-of-rock-and-roll-the-dvd-5-pk--pi-1816263.html

Oddly, it's offered for sale by PBS, apparently as a result of the demand for their series, which they don't sell! :confused:

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
that's not the same one...i am pretty sure this is a vh1 exclusive....

ww

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
that's not the same one...i am pretty sure this is a vh1 exclusive....

ww

Hmm, if it's a VH-1 exclusive then it's neither of the ones mentioned in my post immediately above.

Can you describe the one you're looking for some more?

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
it was on vh1 classic....last weekend...."History of Rock 'n Roll,"

10 one hour episodes...starting with post wwII rhythm and blues...and moving through different genres....the "punk" episode was episode 9....

i know they have run the series more than once so hopefully they will run it again....

ww

R_of_G
July 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
it was on vh1 classic....last weekend...."History of Rock 'n Roll,"

10 one hour episodes...starting with post wwII rhythm and blues...and moving through different genres....the "punk" episode was episode 9....

i know they have run the series more than once so hopefully they will run it again....

ww

I saw it VH-1 Classic this past wknd as well. it's def the pbs documentary as i remember that when i first watched it when it came out i lived somewhere with no cable and thus it had to have been on pbs.

stingx
July 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
$31.29

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6730730

or

$33.87

http://www.buy.com/prod/history-of-rock-n-roll/q/loc/322/40242346.html

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
$31.29

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6730730

or

$33.87

http://www.buy.com/prod/history-of-rock-n-roll/q/loc/322/40242346.html
that's it...you're the man!! :bravo: :pancake: :beer:

ww

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
placed my order....getting a set for me and my friend who is in it :AOK:

thanks guys! :bravo: :beer:

ww

R_of_G
July 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
It's a pretty good documentary. There are obviously better documentaries on the individual genres within "Rock" but for a general survey I think it does a pretty good job. Plus it's cool that your friend is in it! :AOK: