PDA

View Full Version : Hot Bass Pedal

r_a_smith3530
May 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Well, it finally arrived! The UPS man was here today and dropped off my new killer bass pedal, the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

First, this thing is versatile. It is a stomp box, it's a pre-amp. You can use it to emulate different amp styles, and it's a direct box for recording. If you check out Tech 21's site, some of the top names in the low end are using this pedal. It was recommended to me a while back and I just now got around to buying one (they're not cheap!).

SansAmp Bass Driver DI (http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver.html)

I didn't give it too much of a run, but what little I heard, I liked alot! I'll post more later. Five AM comes much too quick!

Robert
May 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Interesting. How would you use this thing live?

r_a_smith3530
May 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Interesting. How would you use this thing live?

Well, I guess that you could use it in any of three ways. You could use it as any stomp box, running it inline like a distortion pedal with flavor. This is the way GFR's Mel Schacher uses his. It is the only effect he uses. It gives you great creamy warm distortion, but it doesn't muddy up the tone.

Of course, as it is a pre-amp, you could go from your bass to the SansAmp, and from there into the effects return on your amp. This would basicly bypass the amplifier's own preamp. I haven't tried it yet in this configuration, but I will over the weekend.

Last, you could go straight into the venue's soundboard, not using a dedicated amp at all. Of course that way, you're at the mercy of the sound man!

Tone2TheBone
May 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I've been reading about this unit all over the internet. Sounds like a great investment.

Robert
May 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
What kind of songs or styles of songs would you use it on?

Tone2TheBone
May 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
What kind of songs or styles of songs would you use it on?

Rob - I'd use it on some stuff. It would just be another tool to use for recording most likely. I can go direct out of my bass amp into the computer and I'm dying to try that out, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about this unit and so I couldn't see how it wouldn't hurt to have even more flexibility.