PDA

View Full Version : lots of questions

Squireman131
July 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
i got a couple questions. what strings do you guys use on your LP's i just got a douglas and dont know what strings i wanna use. ive been using ernie balls on my squire but my douglas came with d'addario and i am really enjoying the feel of them. Is it possible to remove very small scratches on a guitars finish? And has anyone found a extremely cheap guitar stand on the interweb? i really need three for my 2 guitars and my bass. Thanks again

Squireman

Spudman
July 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
On another forum I frequent the same question recently came up. The folks on this forum are guitar magazine editors and famous musicians. The consensus was to use Elixir strings because for the money they can't be beat as they last longer than several sets of regular strings. I'm not sure which version yet because they do make two types that sound very different. Maybe that question will be answered tomorrow.

Also with the shorter scale length 10s or 11s seem to feel and sound good.

tot_Ou_tard
July 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
On another forum I frequent the same question recently came up. The folks on this forum are guitar magazine editors and famous musicians. The consensus was to use Elixir strings because for the money they can't be beat as they last longer than several sets of regular strings. I'm not sure which version yet because they do make two types that sound very different. Maybe that question will be answered tomorrow.

Also with the shorter scale length 10s or 11s seem to feel and sound good.
& I thought you were the font of all knowledge, but it turns out you just have a secret source. :D

TS808
July 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm using DR Tite-Fit strings and out of all the strings I've tried over the years, those seem to be my favorite. They seem to last long, and they don't feel overly stiff like alot of other strings, and they seem to last long. I'm using 10's on my strats and LP copies and they feel good on both.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
i use d'addario 10's...xl....i think (don't want to get off the couch to find an unused pack!) i know they are 10's though...

ww

scgmhawk
July 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
As for cheap guitar stands, there are plenty at any of the usual online stores -- musiciansfriend, zzounds, music123, etc. Decent for my purposes -- in my house and not on stage -- and only $9.99 - $14.99.

Squireman131
July 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
anyone ever use everly strings, my all time favorite band coheed and cambria use B-52's and i was wondering what you guys think of them

Plank_Spanker
July 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I've been using D'Addario 10's forever. They stretch out fairly fast, and they have a decent life on the guitar if you keep them clean.

For small, light scratches, try the Fender Meguiars "Swirl and Haze Remover". It's worked for me.

Spudman
July 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
& I thought you were the font of all knowledge, but it turns out you just have a secret source. :D
Busted.:o
But don't get your pancakes all in a bunch. I still know more than most of those guys. It is surprising how set in their ways some of them are and out of touch in many areas.

It is the Elixir Blue package and 10 gauge on Les Pauls was the consensus.

Ch0jin
July 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I think we just did the string thing recently in another thread, but...

I had elixir coated 10's on my Maton (similar to an LP) from the factory and they were really good. SUPER slippery and they lasted ages. I also heard that guitar stores love them as the coating resists all the gunk from dozens of fingers trying out guitars in store.

That said I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkies for ages on my Strat and now have them on the Maton and although they felt like sandpaper after the coated ones, they do sound killer for the sound I'm after.

Size wise I vote for 10's on a 25.5" neck so I'd certainly not go lower on a shorter scale Les Paul. Again, just personal preference.