PDA

View Full Version : Where the Light Is - Mayer live in LA

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
New movie out for download on itunes, about 2.5 hours, an acoustic set, a set with his blues oriented trio, and a set with full touring band, recorded in December '07 Live in LA.

http://buzzsugar.com/1751244

http://www.apple.com/itunesnews/us/

If you have iTunes, you can watch a trailer there.

I think I will get it.

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
hopefully it is available in the stores too....i think i would like the dvd...but if all that's available is itunes....i'm there!

ww

Tone2TheBone
July 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Have either of you buddies downloaded many podcasts and such? Just wondering. :)

warren0728
July 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
i haven't....just music....my kids have a few videos on their ipods....

i am downloading some stuff from amazon.com because there are no restrictions (although a lot of itunes are not restricted anymore)

ww

Tone2TheBone
July 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
i haven't....just music....my kids have a few videos on their ipods....

i am downloading some stuff from amazon.com because there are no restrictions (although a lot of itunes are not restricted anymore)

ww

I've only downloaded Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" video from iTunes when my daughter and I first got ours. Have never downloaded a movie though. Steve do you have many movies/videos downloaded on yours and do you watch them on your iPod or on the Mac monitor?

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Tone, I only have an old iPod photo so have not seen a movie there. I have downloaded a vid or two, a few pod casts, and an episode or two of Grays Anatomy to watch with my wife. All have played really well on my 20 inch iMac and look and sound beautiful.

But if we start doing more of it, I aim to get some of those powered sound monitors that were being discussed in some other thread for between a hundred or two, both for recording and for stuff like this. We do not have the technology yet to port it to a larger display in another room, though I am sure that will come sometime in the coming years. I bet we see a lot more of video and audio content being delivered that way.

I have also watched movies on DVD on this computer and it looks great that way too. We have never had large TVs, and other than a used 25 inche old schooler we have in the living room, the 20 inch iMac is our largest screen, and certainly the sharpest and best picture.

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Warren, to answer your question, it is available on DVD at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Light-John-Mayer-Angeles/dp/B0019IB26I

the set list looks great! The quality of the video looks amazing too.

ww

I am making that same choice some of the time, when the DRMless version of a song or album is not available on iTunes yet. I like the convenience of iTunes, but competition is a good thing.

As far as the movie goes, if iTunes was all there was, I would not hesitate to download it. The quality on my computer is good, but since I can get the DVD, that is the way I will go on this purchase.

Lev
July 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
Yep, it's on DVD, I pre-ordered a month ago and it shipped yesterday - can't wait to see it.

There's some nice preview clips here:
http://attblueroom.com/music/mediaplayer.php?cid=182099

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
i'm hoping my local border's has it in stock....i want it today!!

ww

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
oh man....got "where the light is" last night and stayed up until almost 2am watching it!

i just put it in again to watch again!

if you are not a mayer fan....get this dvd....after watching it you will certainly respect the mans talent (even if you don't like him or his music)

he played many different styles from a killer acoustic set at the beginning to jazz and bluesy tunes to hendrix covers that will knock you down to even a little of his pop stuff (which was good enough not to goof up the dvd)

get it....you'll be glad you did!

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the report! I was going to get it anyway, but am glad to hear your reaction. Do you think the soundtrack is good enough to get too? I see you can buy that as well. Where did you get yours and what was the street price?

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
i got it at border's for $19....but i think fye has it for $15 (i had to go to border's anyway and didn't want to spend the time or gas money to drive to fye to save 4 bucks!

if the cds are all the songs on the dvd it is worth it....i'll probably download the cd from itunes.....

the nice thing about the dvd is there is a lot of footage behind the scenes and mayer sharing his thoughts and feelings about different phases of his career....

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
You can do a CD/DVD package from Amazon for $19.95 or so plus shipping, but qualifies for free super saver shipping on qualifying orders over $25. Might be worth doing it that way.

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
You can do a CD/DVD package from Amazon for $19.95 or so plus shipping, but qualifies for free super saver shipping on qualifying orders over $25. Might be worth doing it that way.

Ordered after I wrote the above and received it today, along with the CD and the Foxboro Hot Tubs (greenday project) CD to get free shipping. I just finished watching the acoustic set and was really impressed. I can learn a lot from this DVD. He plays a few all alone with a mic on his guitar and on him, Neil Young style, which is also cool. I really liked his cover of Petty's "Free Falling". Moving on to the Trio set now.

warren0728
July 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
enjoy svl...it's all good! :beer:

ww

stingx
July 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
This is a fantastic DVD. I have a vast collection of concert DVDs and this one now sits near the top of the heap - nothing tops The Concert for George yet :)

We've mentioned this before in various threads but please tell me how anyone can be down on this guy after watching this or being at a live concert of his? I can't understand the haters this guy has all I know is this guy has been a favorite of mine for a while and I regard him as a very talented musician who can entertain with the best of them. This is a DVD that belongs in any music fan's collection.

warren0728
July 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
We've mentioned this before in various threads but please tell me how anyone can be down on this guy after watching this or being at a live concert of his? I can't understand the haters this guy has
i think it stems back to his "pop" music career where he was a teenybopper favorite (cover of teen magazine and such)...but at least he has grown and is trying to take that original audience and introduce them to more substantial music (blues, jazz, rock, etc.)...i give him props for that! :bravo:

and some are probably just jealous so they bash him to feel better about themselves!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
July 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I'd order this, but I just bought an amph.

I'll put the DVD in the Netflix que.

I love Mayer's new stuff!

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I got through half of the Trio set the other night, then re-watched up through there, and now am into the full band set. Some thoughts and questions.

1. I am pretty darn sure the second acoustic guitar he played was a D-45 of some variety, after having played his signature Martin OM. It confirmed something I keep coming back to. That tone is the one I am looking for. Both in his hands, and Neil Young's, those tones are the ones that draw me. Tone2theBone, I would love to hear more about your new Martin, as I can't afford a D-45, or even a D-28, but want that tone. His OM is nice, but I like the sound of that Dreadnought better.

2. Who knows anything about that Guild guitar he played with the Trio that is shaped kind of like a 335? It sure had a nice tone, and it was fun to hear him play an electric other than a strat. I thought it sounded good.

3. Watching him makes me realize how much work I have to to on my right hand techniques. Finding that lowest common denominator timing of the song and keeping your hand moving that way looks so effective when he does it, and is still so hard for me to accomplish.

4. On "Slow Dancin in a Burning Room", his other guitarist took kind of a solo on what looks kind of like a big red Hagstrom hollow body. What a nice sounding guitar that is too. Anyone know what that is?

5. Man he has a lot of cool Strats!