PDA

View Full Version : Playing without effects.

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have been playing some without any effects other than the built in verb in my C-30, and changing between channels and I have to say, it is a lot of fun! It seems like I can hear a lot more of what my pick is doing on the strings and the amp seems awfully expressive just by itself. Picking a little harder, or digging in just a bit harder goes a long way, then backing off sounds oh so sweet. I know Plank has spoken many times about learning to play your amp, especially a tube amph. Other good players here have said the same thing, Tone and Spud come to mind. I don't know what I am doing and I am just messing around with it, but it sure is fun! :D

Any thoughts on some specific things to try as I play around? :DR

Ch0jin
July 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah I try to do that regularly too for some variety. After all, plugging straight into the amp for different sounds is far cheaper than buying new pedals/guitars etc

The only downside is the old "H'mm I wonder if this would sound better with new tubes/speaker/caps or whole new amp...."

I'm going through that phase now with my Peavey as I've had the same tubes in it for around 10 years now and I'm wondering if spashing out on some "botique" 12ax7's and 6L6's would make a difference.....

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I think that every guitar player runs through a phase where he just plain plugs into the amp without any effects. It's the most pure way and to in my opinion it delivers the best sound because the signal doesn't get effected - except you have all pedals true bypass.

Anyways, I made the same experience years back when playing a Fender Bassman in our showroom. Plugged in directly and heard my playing from a completely different angle.

Generally, I hardly use effects and love the pure sound the most.

Learning to play your amph, well that is the TRUTH.

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
I don't know enough about playing to give any pointers but as the years have gone by I've tended to really limit my use of effects. At this point pretty much the only effects box I use is a distortion pedal, for playing with my non-master volume amphs, and with my Sovtek I don't even need that.

I do have a nice solid Ernie Ball volume pedal, but that's not really an effects box.

tot_Ou_tard
July 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
I usually don't use any effects.

What I will add is a clean boost, occaisionally a touch of overdrive (from my Timmy &/or Duncan Twin Tube), & very very rarely some compression.

No verb, chorus, delay, phazer, fuzz.

If my Fender Champion 600 had built-in reverb or tremolo I'd probably use a touch of that now & again.

I view my effects progression as backwards from Sun's. I start with little or no effects (I can hear what I am playing & understand the dynamics better) & am slowly moving toward adding small touches of effects. I prefer transparent effects that are good at minimally changing the tone. I use effects more for fullness or for pushing the front end of my amp.

This is a beginner's perspective.

On the other hand, if I am playing power chords then it's no holds barred. ;)

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have been playing some without any effects other than the built in verb in my C-30, and changing between channels and I have to say, it is a lot of fun! It seems like I can hear a lot more of what my pick is doing on the strings and the amp seems awfully expressive just by itself.

Much wisdom is coming to you Grasshopper.http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Zen/levitation.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/get/Zen/levitation.gif)http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Zen/happy-spoon-boy.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/get/Zen/happy-spoon-boy.gif)

t_ross33
July 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
If I'm just "playing", I like going commando, as it were, straight into the amp. I have to get myself a nice little tube combo so I can really play with the nuances though. I can get some nice tones out of the Bandit, but nowhere near what I've heard test driving a Fender Twin or Bassman RI at my local music emporium.

If I'm doing "homework" and learning new material for the band, then I'm trying to find whatever amp model and effects I need to get a close approximation to the original song.

Yep. A 30 or 40W tube amp is on my radar...

pes_laul
July 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Zen/levitation.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/get/Zen/levitation.gif)http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Zen/happy-spoon-boy.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/get/Zen/happy-spoon-boy.gif)

we definetly need these as regular smilies.

what do ya say robert?;)

marnold
July 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
As far as things to try goes, get to know your volume and tone controls on your guitar.

I've found myself playing very dry lately too, mainly because I've been auditioning pickups so I didn't want anything else coloring the signal. When I get in a rut, I bust out my EX-7 and put it on the Univibe, A/DA, or Space Station models and go crazy for a bit.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
If I'm just "playing", I like going commando, as it were, straight into the amp. Heh, heh, I just "borrowed" that line my friend!

Yep. A 30 or 40W tube amp is on my radar... I'm telling you, these C-30s are a great bang for your buck in that category. And for your primary styles of music, I think a good fit.

Good thoughts Trev and tot, thanks! I may re-approach my amph and effects along your paths a bit.

Marnold, also good tips. I am using my volume knob more, but still tend to ignore my tone knobs.

Jimi, Spud, everyone else, thanks for the support and encouragement. I learn a lot here.

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yep. A 30 or 40W tube amp is on my radar...

I love mid-wattage tube amphs. Powerful enough to play in a band sitch, and to do small-to-mediumish size venues un-mic'd if necessary, yet able to get some breakup without deafening people.

All my tube amps are in that general range (Super Reverb 40W, Sovtek 50W, Sunn 200S 60W).

Big_Rob
July 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
When Im playing "commando" (LOL, Im stealing that line as well! LOL) the only effects I use is the amps built in reverb effect with a just smidgen of delay.

mark wein
July 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I had a gig over the weekend where I decided not to bring my ridiculous pedal board but just a few individual pedals...my Barber Direct Drive and LTD. I even brought a fresh battery just in case.

When I went to set up I discovered that someone had scavenged the battery out of my LTD pedal so I put my spare in that one. As soon as we played the first song the battery in my Direct Drive croaked...:mad:

Since you have to unscrew the back to change batteries on those pedals I figured I would try toughing it out without my favorite pedal. This was me trying to get back to basics, right?

All I am going to say is that it was tougher than I thought it would be...

thearabianmage
July 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Stripping away everything is always interesting. I know this is a thread primarily about amps and how to use them to their potential, but has anyone tried finger-picking a nylon string guitar unplugged?

It has that organic quality to it. Natural warmth, natural sounds. . . You can learn a lot about your playing in much the same way as going amp-commando.

Just my tuppence. . .

warren0728
July 4th, 2008, 09:59 AM
has anyone tried finger-picking a nylon string guitar unplugged?

It has that organic quality to it. Natural warmth, natural sounds. . . You can learn a lot about your playing in much the same way as going amp-commando.
a long time ago in college i dated a girl who was a classically trained guitarist....i was always amazed at how she could make that classical guitar with the huge wide neck and nylon strings sound....it would take my breath away! :master:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
July 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I love nylon-string sounds.

a long time ago in college i dated a girl who was a classically trained guitarist....i was always amazed at how she could make that classical guitar with the huge wide neck and nylon strings sound....it would take my breath away! :master:

ww
Maybe some of the stolen-breath effect was due to the fact that she was going commando.

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Maybe some of the stolen-breath effect was due to the fact that she was going commando.

Or maybe she had one of those guitar racks we've grown so fond of.

warren0728
July 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Or maybe she had one of those guitar racks we've grown so fond of.
that she did! :beer:

ww :greenguitar:

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I play clean a lot so that I know I am playing correctly and cleanly and then add distortion if the mood strikes, but I would say it's minimal.

And then, sad to say, I sometimes play with no effect.

ZMAN
July 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I had a girlfriend in highschool and when she wore nylons her legs would take my breath away, does that count?
I just found out something new. You can actually plug a guitar straight into an amp!
The only question I have is how do you get that Hendrix, or SRV, or Clapton, or Gary Moore tone. I don't want to just sound like ME!

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I had a girlfriend in highschool and when she wore nylons her legs would take my breath away, does that count?
:rotflmao: thanks zman...i needed a good laugh this morning!! :rotflmao:

ww