PDA

View Full Version : tested OCD;Fulldrive2;T-Rex Möller; Custom Audio Dual Drive

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hey friends,

Just get back from my favourite music store. I had some severe GAS for the Fulltone OCD pedal. What was I looking for? That is important I think. Well I was looking for a pedal to heat up a) an overdriven Marshall Top and b) my Line6. Furthermore this pedal should be able to deliver some nice crunch and blues sounds for my blues band when playing with them. With the blues band I play a JCM 900 which isn't mine, but the rehearsal room is fully equipped and I kinda fell in love with that amp. So, the pedal should be good for blues and for bringing an amp to cooking for Metal stuff.

Tested with a Marshall Vintage Modern
Pedals rated by me on a scale from 1-10 - personal opinion!
1) FT OCD:
The OCD interacts in a nice way with the guitar volume knob.
Blues: It delivers warm overdrive, pretty okay but the drive poti is very direct. I had the feeling that the sounds were a little too hot all the time. Bringing the pedal in LP mode it was a little softer. Good pedal, but nothing that kicked me totally. I had to bring up the volume poti a lot so that the sound was as loud as the amp with the engaged pedal. I found this very unusual. HP mode delivered ACDC sounds in front of the clean amp and they sounded very good.
Metal: Putting the pedal in front of an overdriven amp it did what it should do. I felt that it sounded all a little bit fuzzy, which I do not like for metal sounds. The gain reserves are huge and this pedal can make the amp sound brutal but classic in a way. Here it interacted better in the LP mode.

Rating: 6,5 points

2) Fulldrive 2, Mosfet:
The pedal delivers very creamy rock sounds. A lot of features for the price.
Blues: Mmhhhhh, this sounded a little thin, I missed the growl that I know from other pedals like the Xotic BB Preamp for example. I expected some SRV sounds to be possible, but they weren't. Changed to a Fender DLX Amp and I wasn't still satisfied. Generally you get cool Rock sounds out of the pedal. Especially the vintage mode sounded great.
Metal: Better results than with the OCD. Put it in ComCut mode and Mosfet and it sounded very metal. I had not expected such a result from the FD2. I found out that the BOOST only worked with an activated CompCut and in Mosfet mode. It became louder, but in my eyes the boost is not enough to make a solo cut through in a band surrounding.
Overall I liked this pedal slightly more than the OCD, due to its versatility and the nice boost effect with the corresponding modes activated. I know that I once had a worse opinion on the FD2, but this time I had more time to check this product.

Rating: 7

3)T-Rex Möller:
Great Sound from Scandinavia - my personal FAVOURITE
The Möller is also a "two channel concept" as the FD2, but different in a way.
You can put in "Voice" which makes the sound fatter.
Blues: Yes, yes, yes. What a fun pedal. You can determine the mix between the Möller and the amp and this is such a great feature. The pedal sounds brilliant very natural. Also with higher gain modes it behaves better than the FD2 and the OCD. Blues licks are more fun to play with this pedal and the controlability with the volume poti is very exact.
Metal: Great job. It gives your amp just exaclty the last kind of kick without wanting to be the main actor in the sound. Never felt that with another pedal before. WOW!
The only let down is the boost. The boost just delivers more gain, also here the concept of getting louder in a solo doesn't really work. The FD2 is better in at boosting.

Rating: 9 if you only take into consideration the sounds of the two channels. 8 if you take into consideration the "ineffectiveniss" of the Boost. But also the boosted channel is sounding awesome, so please don't get me wrong.

4) Custom Audio / MXR - Overdrive and boost.

To put it in a nutshell. This pedal sounds bad. Every Danelectro pedal sounds better. I only checked this one because I wanted to check the MXR Line Booster, but they only had the twin pedal. The Line Boost is up to 20db and does a very good job, but forget about the OD.....

If I only rate the Booster, this was the best booster of the day and the only one that did the job good:
Rating - 10 only the booster - the winner
Rating - 4 the OD

Conclusion:
I went home without having bought a pedal. The reason why is easy to explain. With all pedals except of the Custom Audio I felt that they are of great quality and the concepts make sense in the correct surrounding. BUT, my Ibanez TS9 Reissue does the same job even better at less than half the cost. The TS9 sounds so great now that I have the comparison. If the boost of the Möller had been more effective I had bought the Möller straight away. I will check more T-Rex products. The Möller could be the only pedal improving my sound in comparison to my TS9, but I'm not going to pay for the BOOST if it doesn't work for me. I will check T-Rex if the Möller is also available in a single channel option.

The Marshall Vintage Modern is a cool amp. Good dynamics and it's true, you can tame the amp with your guitars volume poti. It's not THE DEAL for me, but better than a lot of amps I have heard. I expected that typical THIN LIZZY classic sound, but nothing happened. Anyways, a good amph!

I hope you liked the review, although I didn't buy something. I really wanted to......had the money with me an drove to the bank this morning.......

Robert
July 2nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I think you did a good job there, no impulse buying at least. Wait until you find that gear that really makes you excited.

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Awesome review. That saves me effort too so thanks.
How about something like the Boss OD-20? (I love helping people spend money):D
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/OD-20/

aeolian
July 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have a Fulldrive II Mosfet and I agree with your opinion. Now that I've played with mine for a few months I can see that it is not perfect and that there can be better pedals out there. As to what is better, I can't tell unless I get to try some.

Gutmann
July 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
On my search for the ultimate pedal, i came to the Fulltone OCD between a G&L ASAT and a Fender Amp (thats why I was looking for a warmer sounding pedal). Before that I had a T.C.Electronic Vintage Distortion - T.C. Vintage pedals are exactly the same as the T-Rex pedals.

Interested in a very good review archive on overdrive pedals? Have look at http://www.guitartest.de/OVERDRIVETEST.htm - the reviews are written in german but there's everythin to feed GAS.

Greets Uli

M29
July 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hello Jimi75,

Thank you for the review. I have been GASSIN for a Fulltone OCD for quite some time now and was only waiting for the cash to come along. Do you know what version your OCD is? Is it the latest version no. 4? I am not familiar with what changes have been made but they just come out with the version 4 in the last year or so I believe.

Thank you again.
M29

Jimi75
July 3rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hello Jimi75,

Thank you for the review. I have been GASSIN for a Fulltone OCD for quite some time now and was only waiting for the cash to come along. Do you know what version your OCD is? Is it the latest version no. 4? I am not familiar with what changes have been made but they just come out with the version 4 in the last year or so I believe.

Thank you again.
M29

Exactly, it was a version 4.

SuperSwede
July 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Great review!

I have tried most of the T-rex pedals and you are absolutely right about those... excellent sounds.

dan P
August 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Just ordered the fulltone ocd, ebay store at 150 delivered, my lead guitarist uses it, he has had his for 3 months and loves it, cant wait to try mine out in front of a good tube amp...Im going to have to move ! ( cranking my amp up toooo 11...! )