PDA

View Full Version : Green ham and eggs

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Are you the kind of person who will eat things from the fridge that are slightly becoming "less than perfectly fresh" or do you shy away from green ham and fragrant beef?

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I was raised by just post depression era parents. I will eat food on the mature side sometimes. Not usually poultry though. Bleh.

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I will eat food on the mature side sometimes.

That's signature worthy.:rotflmao:

M29
July 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Mature morsels I love em:AOK:

I kinda hesitate when things appear to be on the edge but it really depends on how hungry I am.

M29

stingx
July 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I make judgment calls. I was about to eat a sandwich I bought at my desk but got called away for something urgent so I put the sammich in my desk drawer. I forgot all about it til several days later when I was looking for something in that drawer. I was hungry at the time and gave it a whiff...I asked several colleagues what they thought (lots of faces made) and decided to try it. I finished it off and am still alive today to type this message.

R_of_G
July 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Reading this thread all I can think of is the Duff Gardens episode of The Simpsons wherein Homer becomes violently ill because he continues to eat a 6 foot sandwich for weeks after it has gone bad. As for myself, I have worked in many kitchens so I have a fairly good sense of when something is still edible and when it's best to let it go. If I can't make that determination, the garbage disposal gets it. Better safe than sorry.

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I make judgment calls. I was about to eat a sandwich I bought at my desk but got called away for something urgent so I put the sammich in my desk drawer. I forgot all about it til several days later when I was looking for something in that drawer. I was hungry at the time and gave it a whiff...I asked several colleagues what they thought (lots of faces made) and decided to try it. I finished it off and am still alive today to type this message.

Awesome. :master: You are braver than I am. Of course I would usually be eating something like that alone with nobody around to rush me to the ER so I tend to be more cautious.

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I won't eat or drink it if the sell by date has been reached and many times I won't touch it even two or three days before a sell date or expiration date.

They had a meeting today and after it was over they put the meat tray and cheese tray in the cafeteria. I caught sight of a rainbow on the ham and that was it for me, just walked out with a bottle of water.

Childbride
July 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Do you like green eggs and ham?

i do not like them, Sam-I-am...
i do not like green eggs and ham.

would you like them anywhere?

i would not like them here or there,
i would not like them anywhere.

would you like them in a house?
would you like them with a mouse?

nope. :D

[edit: no. i've been hospitalized before with food poisoning/salmonella. if it's two days old, it goes in the trash. i don't eat mayo on anything if i question how long it's been sitting out... you get the idea. way no. ]

Robert
July 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Panago pizza is good for a week in room temperature. Pizza doesn't grow mold very quickly, so old pizza is good for a long time. It's full of preservatives and canned ingredients anyway, so there's not much, like "real" food on pizza in any case.

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Do you like green eggs and ham?

i do not like them, Sam-I-am...
i do not like green eggs and ham.

would you like them anywhere?

i would not like them here or there,
i would not like them anywhere.

would you like them in a house?
would you like them with a mouse?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/011606samiam.jpg

nope. :D

[edit: no. i've been hospitalized before with food poisoning/salmonella. if it's two days old, it goes in the trash. i don't eat mayo on anything if i question how long it's been sitting out... you get the idea. way no. ]

A finishing touch.

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Absolutely not. Been hospitalized for getting ahold of bad food, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I've also been to a few food safety classes and am careful with the food that eat. I won't touch suspect food. It's kept me healthy so far!

marnold
July 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Would you, could you with some salt? On the San Andreas fault?
Would you, could you in Japan? With Godzilla and Rodan?

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
I could not eat them with a Coca Cola
I would not eat them with the Ayatollah

I could not eat them on the road
I would not eat them with a toad

I could not eat them out of a blender
but I just might enjoy them with my Fender

sumitomo
July 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ecoli if that is how it is spelt can cause kidney failure!and I only have one left.Sumi:D

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Ecoli...

Isn't that a cough drop Eeeeeeecccoooolliiiiiiiiiiii

Jimi75
July 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
I always eat food as fresh as possible. If something is on the edge I do not eat it. I do not even give it a try. I am very sensitive in this case.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Another thing I do is I have a habit of sniffing my food before I take the first bite. Even after it's cooked and even in a restaurant, I developed a habit of sniffing it first. Once you are raised by a pack of wolves, some habits are hard to break.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Another thing I do is I have a habit of sniffing my food before I take the first bite.

I remember when I was a kid one of the popular t-shirts at the time had a saying, "If it smells good eat it." I'm not sure what they were talking about;) but it does seem to apply in this case.

I always sniff too before the chomp, but sometimes those hints of matureness seem to bring out rounder flavors. Kind of like cheese.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Another thing I do is I have a habit of sniffing my food before I take the first bite.
Good habit... doesn't necessarily JUST apply to food items either!

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I remember when I was a kid one of the popular t-shirts at the time had a saying, "If it smells good eat it." I'm not sure what they were talking about;) but it does seem to apply in this case.

It probably refers to fish.

blind guy walks past a fish store, tips his hat and says "good morning....!"

SuperSwede
July 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
I usually throw away stuff at the expiration date... I have a oldfood-o-phobia.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
WRT expiration date, I usually pay attention on milk, certainly on lunch meats, and push it on yogurt and cheese. Cereals or breads, if it is not moldy, what the heck. I always try to eat up our leftovers. I hate throwing food out, esp. at today's prices. My Mom always told me to eat it or we could send it to a starving child somewhere else or things like that.

Spudman
July 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I think I just found the limit on ham. Petwie! Yech.:puke: When it gets real slippery it's probably OK to pass on the ham.

pes_laul
July 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
well I used to not really care until one day I went into the fridge grabbed the milk and started slugging it down right from the carton. well it turns out the milk was for the dogs because it was really sour. I swear I could taste the sourness throughet the day.