PDA

View Full Version : Adding External peaker Jack to AD30VT Info/Advice

jonnyj
July 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hello all, I just got a Vox AD30VT. By itself as it is I'm happy with it. But at some poiint I will want to try some of my oher cabs with it. All of them are compatible with the Vox's 8 ohm requirements. I can do what my kids would call a "gehtto job" at adding a speaker out jack but I was wondering if anyone here has done it? I've searched quite a lot in this group and around the net but haven't found a speaker mod thread other than replacing the stock one. There is a nice thread for adding an effects send/return at tonelab.net.

As far as parts are concerned what kind of jack should I get that will allow me to use an external cab? I know it's a 1/4" jack but is it's proper name called a switch jack? W@ith stereo terminals? Also as far as wiring when I hook it onto the factory speaker wiring which leads (if anyone knows) should I connect the switch jack to? Anyhow when I get around to doing it I will be happy to post pics of the mod/procedure.

Keep playing everyone, don't forget about the msuic to be made besides the mod?:dude:

markb
July 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
You need a switching jack, mono will do. Look at the jack, one side has the switch contacts on it, you'll see them open when you insert a plug. You wire the amp output to the fixed side and the speaker to the switching side. Just cut the speaker cable and strip back for this, it should have enough slack to cope.
You may want to get a recessed plate to mount the jack on if it's going on the rear cabinet panel, this will avoid tearing through the particle board with repeated insertions.

tot_Ou_tard
July 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
From what I recall there were some posts on patchtronix.net on this topic.

It should be easy as Mark sez.