PDA

View Full Version : Nice Computer

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
So I get home today and the new computer is sitting on the porch (is this the right section to post?). I bring it in and take care of some other things and about 20 minutes later I decided to open the box

this is the box

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture307.jpg

Open it up and take out the protective packaging and carefully slide the new computer out of the box.

Ain't she a beaut mate?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture308.jpg

WOW, I can't believe this thing. DVM mentioned setting it at 9 or 10, crap I have it at 8 and my ears are bleeding.

I have to go play now.

DVM, nice piece of work you shipped me. Definitely going to enjoy.:AOK:

marnold
July 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Just wait until you overclock it!

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Just wait until you overclock it!

I will have to get a bigger room. I am amazed at the sound that is coming out of this. I am messing with the tone, gain and brightness and I am blown away. I haven't even plugged in the American Strat or the Dot to see what I get.

Rocket
July 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hmmm... that's no run-O-da-mill EVJ!
How bout a close-up of the panel... I can't read it, (bad eyes, ya know!)
What's the mods?

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hmmm... that's no run-O-da-mill EVJ!
How bout a close-up of the panel... I can't read it, (bad eyes, ya know!)
What's the mods?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture310.jpg

Here's the original thread that can explain it far better than I can. I haven't swapped the speaker, maybe down the road.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6531&highlight=valve+jr

Spudman
July 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Where is the apple?:confused:

Robert
July 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, does that thing run Leopard? OS 10.5.3?

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Well I'll have to get the apple, but for now...

I have the Dot hooked up, running through the RP350 - what a difference!!! I'm going to have to do some resets on the RP because I think this DVM Deluxe VJr just opened up a new world.

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hmmm... that's no run-O-da-mill EVJ!...
What's the mods?
A quick rundown from that other thread to save folks a couple of clicks:

This is a "version 1" Valve Jr, so first it needed to have the original design shortcomings fixed (mostly excessive hum/noise and some grounding errors). After that, I added some new features, as well as making numerous improvements to the amp's gain & tone, plus a few safety & relaibility enhancements. Many of these are included in a group of mods that have become very popular with the VJr modder community, often referred to as the "silver/gold mods". I stuck with the stock speaker and original EH/Sovtek tubes, and Strum can upgrade those later, as he sees fit.

Noise/Hum Reduction

Convert to DC filament heating
Add more filtering to power section
Multiple resistor & capacitor upgrades to reduce noise

Reliability & Safety Mods

Reduce voltage levels and bias of EL84 power tube (stock is w-a-a-a-y too hot)
Upgrade multiple resistors to quieter/safer metal oxide type
Replace dinky stock volume pot with a beefier 24mm pot
Add "bleeder" resistor to DC power rail to drain large filter caps after power-down (shock hazard reduction)

Added Features

Tone pot, patterned on Fender's Tweed-era Princeton amp
Standby switch
Gain boost switch
Brightness switch
8 and 16 ohm output jacks (stock is 4 ohm)

Tone & Gain Improvements

Upgrade stock output transformer to a Hammond 125DSE--multiple tonal benefits
Multiple resistor and capacitor changes/upgrades to improve tone, clarity, gain and punch

P.S. Glad to see that FedEx took good care of your new "computer" in transit, Strum.

P.P.S. I told you that little sucker was loud!! :dude: :rockon:

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
have the Dot hooked up, running through the RP350 - what a difference!!! I'm going to have to do some resets on the RP because I think this DVM Deluxe VJr just opened up a new world.
i knew you would like that rp running through the valve jr.!

like i said my rp sounded good through my unmodded v1 valve jr.....i definitely want to do the upgrades and mods to it... :AOK:

ww

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
A quick rundown from that other thread to save folks a couple of clicks:

This is a "version 1" Valve Jr, so first it needed to have the original design shortcomings fixed (mostly excessive hum/noise and some grounding errors). After that, I added some new features, as well as making numerous improvements to the amp's gain & tone, plus a few safety & relaibility enhancements. Many of these are included in a group of mods that have become very popular with the VJr modder community, often referred to as the "silver/gold mods". I stuck with the stock speaker and original EH/Sovtek tubes, and Strum can upgrade those later, as he sees fit.

Noise/Hum Reduction

Convert to DC filament heating
Add more filtering to power section
Multiple resistor & capacitor upgrades to reduce noise

Reliability & Safety Mods

Reduce voltage levels and bias of EL84 power tube (stock is w-a-a-a-y too hot)
Upgrade multiple resistors to quieter/safer metal oxide type
Replace dinky stock volume pot with a beefier 24mm pot
Add "bleeder" resistor to DC power rail to drain large filter caps after power-down (shock hazard reduction)

Added Features

Tone pot, patterned on Fender's Tweed-era Princeton amp
Standby switch
Gain boost switch
Brightness switch
8 and 16 ohm output jacks (stock is 4 ohm)

Tone & Gain Improvements

Upgrade stock output transformer to a Hammond 125DSE--multiple tonal benefits
Multiple resistor and capacitor changes/upgrades to improve tone, clarity, gain and punch

I was just about ready to tell them all that.:D

P.S. Glad to see that FedEx took good care of your new "computer" in transit, Strum.

P.P.S. I told you that little sucker was loud!! :dude: :rockon:

Except you may have been understating it a tad. My volume controls on the guitars are only a couple notches up and the thing is on 7.5 to 8. My one neighbor is about 175 feet away and the other about 200 feet, and I'm sitting here with the windows open and waiting for the cops to arrive.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
I don't get it. Is that thing on the front where the 5 and 1/4 inch floppies fit? Is that red button the re-boot?

Wow, that thing looks sweet and with the mods done by our own DVM, quite a bargain!

Tone2TheBone
July 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
That is the coolest Valve Jr. I've ever seen and I know that amp sounds GOOD. Damn good. Voodoo is da man. :master: Have fun with your new amp and by all means let the cops come knocking...turn it up!

Ch0jin
July 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Wow, that is Very nice. I'm sure you are going to have some big fun with that.

I couldn't decide wether to buy one of those, or an attenuator for the amps I already own, so I opted to buy three more FX pedal kits instead while I decide ;)

Oh and when the cops come, just show them the size of the amp and say "C'mon man, how could this little thing have made all that noise" and grin to yourself.

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I couldn't decide wether to buy one of those, or an attenuator for the amps I already own, so I opted to buy three more FX pedal kits instead while I decide ;)

Now that is thinking on your feet. Buy some toys while you decide what toy to buy - damn good thinking.

Oh and when the cops come, just show them the size of the amp and say "C'mon man, how could this little thing have made all that noise" and grin to yourself.

More good thinking.

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
That is the coolest Valve Jr. I've ever seen and I know that amp sounds GOOD. Damn good. Voodoo is da man. :master: Have fun with your new amp and by all means let the cops come knocking...turn it up!

Honestly Tone, I was reluctant at first about buying it. I figured that the thing just wouldn't have any B's and DVM kept reassuring me that I will be pleasantly surprised at the all around performance and he wasn't wrong. Sitting in this room it provides such a great sound.

He was suppose to throw some pedals in the box, but I think he got really tired and forgot.:D

Ch0jin
July 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hey this just occured to me so I thought I'd post it up.

If your feeling like your small amp/speaker combo doesnt have enough bottom end, try moving it into a different part of the room.

I was messing about at a mates place with a home theatre install and he had the opposite situation. Even with the level on the sub at minimum, the bass was still overpowering with the sub sitting in the corner of the room. We moved it to the other side of entertainment unit and as far away from the wall as aesthetically possible and now the overall sound is far better balanced.

So maybe try positioning your VJ in a corner so the walls reflect the sound coming your way. It might just sound even bigger still!! (not that you need that by the sound of it haha)

duhvoodooman
July 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
If your feeling like your small amp/speaker combo doesnt have enough bottom end, try moving it into a different part of the room.

Good tip there, but anybody who owns the combo has to come to grips with the innate limitations of an 8" speaker. If you're looking for a big bottom end, that's where those external speaker jacks come in. When I plug my 2x12 cab into my personal VJr, the thunder rolls pretty nicely! :dude:

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Hmmm, should I wait for the family to wake up, or do I give them a wake up call?

tot_Ou_tard
July 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Very sweet Strum. Looks like another great job Vood!

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Very sweet Strum. Looks like another great job Vood!

thanks Tot.

luvmyshiner
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
WOW, nice score Strum! Now you have a solution for next Father's day when the kids decide to sleep in and forget your breakfast.:rockon:

mrmudcat
July 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Remember tube balls and solidstate balls are so much different.Kinda like when I make meatballs compared to those you get in a bag.;) :master: :beer:

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Congrats, Strum! You've got the perfect tone machine for home there!

DVM, looks like another great job. Well done!:rockon:

duhvoodooman
July 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
BTW, Strummy--remember that prediction you made of who would buy my VJr project in the "For Sale" thread I started? Well, I filled in the blanks, and you were right!! Just take a look:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74486cd32529747.gif

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
BTW, Strummy--remember that prediction you made of who would buy my VJr project in the "For Sale" thread I started? Well, I filled in the blanks, and you were right!! Just take a look:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/74486cd32529747.gif

Who would have known that if you move the letters and numbers of warren0728, it would spell JUST STRUM.

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Who would have known that if you move the letters and numbers of warren0728, it would spell JUST STRUM.
lol....i really wanted it but i have decided to try and mod my valve jr myself :eek: (with a friends help who is really good at soldering) :AOK: ! glad it went to a good home...:beer:

ww

just strum
July 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I've spent most of the time with the Valve Jr using primarily my Fender and my Dot. Today when I got home from work I tried both Squiers and then the Peavey (which I really haven't played for a couple of weeks). The Peavey really kicks some A with the Valve Jr.

duhvoodooman
July 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I've spent most of the time with the Valve Jr using primarily my Fender and my Dot. Today when I got home from work I tried both Squiers and then the Peavey (which I really haven't played for a couple of weeks). The Peavey really kicks some A with the Valve Jr.
IMO, the VJr seems to sound particularly good with single coils. I would guess it's some fortuitous interaction between the single-ended, Class A configuration of the amp and the intrinsic character of single coil pickups, but I couldn't give a detailed explanation. I just like it! :dude: YMMV....

just strum
July 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
This amp produces some serious guitar face.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/pulling-a-face-008.jpg

Kazz
July 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, does that thing run Leopard? OS 10.5.3?

Not only will it run OS 10X, but this thing is so powerful that it will fully run Linux Fedora Project 9 or BSD

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u132/sarrkazztic/random/playtime.jpg

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I threw in the JJ's and big difference in tone. They are much cleaner until I crank it up, just as I wanted it to be.

My imagination? Seems they are more responsive/sensitive to the guitar settings - maybe it's just me.

The amp isn't as noisy when turned up (less hiss).

Personally: Inexpensive investment for a good amount of improvement. In this case, good bang for the buck.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I threw in the JJ's and big difference in tone. They are much cleaner until I crank it up, just as I wanted it to be.

My imagination? Seems they are more responsive/sensitive to the guitar settings - maybe it's just me.

Personally: Inexpensive investment for a good amount of improvement. In this case, good bang for the buck.

J EL84 and ECC83S Matched Triode that is between 105 and 110 in gain

mrmudcat
July 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I am running j.j's in my carvin fullstack!!! They are sweet arse to my ears!:master:

Ch0jin
July 21st, 2008, 02:06 AM
Good to hear another positive comment about jj's I was thinking of retubing my Peavey with them too...

just strum
September 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well it's been two months since the Valve Jr arrived. I've used it off and on over that period, but I've used it exclusively for about 3 weeks.

I'm taking some time to search setting that match up well between the the guitar, the RP350, and the amp. As I've found different setting that I like, I've also become better skilled at controlling what I want with the guitar volume and tone knobs.

No regrets with this purchase and it certainly made me a tube believer. That Crate is so damn inexpensive ($149) it makes me wonder if it is crap. Since no one has one in the stores, no way to test drive.

I've also been reading good things about this, but it's a back burner purchase.

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=270&CollectionID=13

DVM, two months later and I'm still a satisfied customer.

duhvoodooman
September 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Glad to hear that! :AOK:

M29
September 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
JJ's in my VJ and I just love my VJ:rockon:

M29

tunghaichuan
September 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
JJ EL84s seem to be the tubes of choice for this amp. They offer tremendous bang for the buck.

For even more clean headroom, try a 5751. It is a lower gain version of the 12AX7. You could also try a 12AY7. Some like to put in 12AT7s and 12AU7s, but these are not really lower gain 12AX7s. The plate and cathode resistors need to be adjusted to get the tube to operate in the linear region. They may work and sound okay, but the circuit should be adjusted to make shure the tube is operating correctly. At least, IMHO.

My Valve Junior head is my main amp now.

The Sovteks that come stock in the amp are OK. I like them because they make good "hole fillers." When I first build an amp I like to put mediocre Sovteks in them so in case I screwed up and and blow out the tube, it is no great loss :D

tung

tunghaichuan
September 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I've also been reading good things about this, but it's a back burner purchase.

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=270&CollectionID=13

If you ever get that amp, one thing you will want to do is change out the Sovtek 5881 tubes for JJs or Svetlanas. Or possibly the Tung-sol 5881 reissue. Those Sovteks are robust and hard to kill, but sound terrible in guitar amp circuits.

The amp is cathode bias, so you could just throw in a new set of tubes and not worry about it. Although, you might want to have a tech check the bias just to make sure that the tubes aren't working too hard especially if changing brands.

Keep us posted, that looks like a cool amp.

tung

just strum
September 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The amp is cathode bias, so you could just throw in a new set of tubes and not worry about it. Although, you might want to have a tech check the bias just to make sure that the tubes aren't working too hard especially if changing brands.

Keep us posted, that looks like a cool amp.

tung

tung,

At this time it's more GAS than reality. The funds aren't available, but I will keep my eyes open on the used market.

tunghaichuan
September 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
tung,

At this time it's more GAS than reality. The funds aren't available, but I will keep my eyes open on the used market.

Yeah, I hear you. That amp has a lot of cool features. I'd like to try one out, but I don't think any of the local guitar stores have one in stock to try out. :thwap:

tung