PDA

View Full Version : i need help

Childbride
July 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
[snicker... ]

so my teach is going to let me expand from my 'old country' venue into some instrumentals for a recital i have coming up in the fall.

for the first time, he's like, 'ok, pick your songs'

i boggled. does that make sense? i've heard so many songs, in so many genres, that i just boggled. i could spend the entire weekend trying to listen to my music collection to try to find stuff on my 1.5 year level that i feel i could play in public.

i want to play a 70's song, an 80's song, and then i'm going for a wild card.

a total instrumental on guitar at beginner level that isn't 'cheesy easy', but not improbable.

Marnold, as the 80's rawk man, do you have suggestions on my 80's pick?

any picks out there as to the others?

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
holding up a lighter and screamin' "freeeeebiiiird" :D :beer:

just kidding...that's a tough one...will have to think about it! :whatever:

ww

marnold
July 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
This isn't 80s rawk, but The Ventures' "Walk, Don't Run" would be a good choice, I think. It would certainly challenge you but not be impossible by any means. I mean, I can play it (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1892) (although it sounds much cooler with my Floyd now). An 80s instrumental might be a bit more problematic since all of my favorites are way hard.

Childbride
July 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
This isn't 80s rawk, but The Ventures' "Walk, Don't Run" would be a good choice, I think. It would certainly challenge you but not be impossible by any means. I mean, I can play it (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1892) (although it sounds much cooler with my Floyd now). An 80s instrumental might be a bit more problematic since all of my favorites are way hard.

[sigh] all my 80's faves are way hard too. will check into your vote, and thank you! :D :D :D

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
[sigh] all my 80's faves are way hard too. will check into your vote, and thank you! :D :D :D

Why not list a bunch and it will get the idea juices flowing for you and the gang.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Try "Found out about you" by the Gin Blossoms for the wild card. Not too hard, a cool, fun lick, easy chords to solo against, and lots of room for expression. Cool power chord chorus that is fun to rock out on, and well, I think it is a fun song.

_tXShNtyvRs

EDIT: Dang it! I can't find a youtube version that will let me embed it here. Just go to youtube and search Gin Blossoms and the song. You will find it.

EDIT OF EDIT: OOOPs I didn't see it was supposed to be an instrumental. Maybe that would still work. Hmm.

piebaldpython
July 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

GUITAR BOOGIE by Tommy Emmanuel. This is a great instrumental, has been around forever and.........your teach should be able to pare it down sufficiently so that you can play it at your skill level......lots of scale-type runs, it bounces in the beat so the OLD folks (or anybody really) will love it........kind of the acoustic version of SRV's RUDE MOOD.....speaking of which, for your 80's music........uh.......pick any SRV tune (Pride and Joy ??) where the chords aren't bad and see if he can pare that down for you..

evenkeel
July 3rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
The good Reverends Ventures suggestion is a great one. Walk, Dont Run; Pipeline; Apache, or even a medley!!!!

Do you want to stick with electric tunes? If not certainly Classical Gas or a instrumental version of Blackbird could be crowd pleasers and very doable for you CB. Although a bit older than your 70's requirement.

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
It's not instrumental, but for an 80s tune, how about Tesla's "Love Song"? Great tune, not too hard to play, and popular in it's day. Plus, the intro is kinda cool...

wingsdad
July 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Wow... the Rev's suggestion, backed by 'keel's idea of a medley, points in the direction of what was probably 'the golden age of Fender surf guitar garage guitar bands', '60-'64, backed with Mr. Chuck Berry, toss in a bit of Duane Eddy, stir it up a bit with some Chet Atkins, and spice it up with echo-loopy Les Paul. There's loads of highly playable stuff in those catalogs. Stuff older farts like me ate up & learned on....in a garage or basement.

Things got 'a bit harder' once a guy named Dylan came long and made lyrics more important to listen to than guitars. Then Clapton came along and lit a bit of a fire under the sound. Then this guy Hendrix comes along and throws gas on it to raise the bar. But by then, if you'd been playing stuff before these tunes, you could take a shot at handling what they were throwing at you. The next 2 decades morphed everything, because the electric guitar was no longer a simple instrument to feature; unless it was played with astonishing skill and pyromania, it could sound pretty lame compared to the sounds of electronic and synthesized instruments that it didn't have to compete with back in that 'golden age', when a guitar simply had relatively low-wattage amps with small speakers, not stacks and walls of them, and just spring reverb, tremolo, a fuzz box and maybe a tape echoplex to effect it.

I guess my point is: 70's & 80's guitar instrumentals within reach of a developing player like you, CB, whose only relatively recently ventured into electric guitar, could be tuff to find.

Maybe 'Back To The Future' would be the way to look....;)

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
childbride would this work?

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

here you can download almost any song without the vocals or lead guitar.

so it's just the rythm section in the backround

aeolian
July 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
For some reason I think the theme song from "Friends" can work as a relatively simple instrumental song. One good thing is most people will recognize it with the first riff.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sleepwalk is a nice mellow instrumental that appeals to a variety of people... easy to learn & play too.
Choice of versions include: Santo & Johnny, Larry Carlton, The Ventures, Johnny Farina, Chet Atkins, Jeff Beck, Ron Eschete, John Cafferty, Joe Satriani, Brian Setzer, etc...

rQ8x3tLcrYs

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Rocket, good call. I need to learn that one as well.

mrmudcat
July 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Indeed good call on that one.:bravo:

Childbride
July 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
WOW! :D

cool, you guys! i'm going to be spending some significant time on youtube tomorrow, i can tell. :) Wings, your point is well taken; i've rethought the whole decade-specific picking and now am just going for cool songs. timeless cool songs. [uhhh... that i can play and properly homage]

as for wh/not they should all be electric vs acoustic, i think maybe it would be more fun/interesting to mix it up and play a little of both. especially since most of my teacher's students that will perform at the recital are electric-oriented.

i should be a good girl this weekend and work...

but Music Calls, and that call is like siren song. i think i work on picking my music all weekend. o, while spending quality time with my husband, of course... :) :beer: and playing lots of guitar. :D

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
i think maybe it would be more fun/interesting to mix it up and play a little of both. especially since most of my teacher's students that will perform at the recital are electric-oriented.
i think throwing in an acoustic song is a great idea.... :AOK:

ww

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Another good option for a solo instrumental is Samba Pa Ti. Slow & easy to learn & play... even a grandma can do it:

E-vnN3J4gjo2tGieanN5JQ

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Another good option for a solo instrumental is Samba Pa Ti. Slow & easy to learn & play

That's one that has my vote.

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
excellent suggestion rocket! that gets my vote too...i want to see video of cb playing samba pa ti....heck i'll ship my video camera out to them if i have to....as long as shiner promises not to use it to market any of his guitars!! :eek:

ww

marnold
July 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Someday maybe you could try this:
_MRJZGMbFj0

Or this:
9qqXmIReDKo

player
July 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM
was gonna suggest Sleepwalk myself.it is a timeless good/great instrumental. and not impossible to play either.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFp-DlVNtk&feature=related
not to take anything away from rocket - excellent call. this link it sounds a bit clearer.would have embedded it but the link works just as well

Guitar Gal
July 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
CB,

Why not try this one: Mississippi Queen by Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEcNpcTwUM&feature=related

:rockon:

GG

TS808
July 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I'd also recommend the Allman Bros. "Melissa"...the chords are great for acoustic, and you can play the lead parts without a slide. There used to be alot of great tab for this song on the web, but now that all the tab sites are practically gone, it's harder to find the lead parts. It's slow, has some nice string bends, and some nice short licks...plus, it's a great song.

PAPPY
July 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
It always helps to remember who your playing for....if it's gonna be the same fans as last time some older music might be what their doctor orders. The group of similar fans I play for once a month down here love the older songs they can relate to and also love Gospel music. One of our favorites and one they love the most is Faded Love. Whatever you choose I know your gonna knock their draw.......er socks off.

luvmyshiner
July 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
CB's been checking out all the video's this afternoon looking for her next song. So far my personal picks are Samba Pa Ti (great call Rocket, I think I might have to work on that one myself) and Sleepwalk (another great call Rocket, I especially like it because I could play the acoustic while CB wails away), with Found Out About You coming in a close third (I love the Gin Blossoms SVL, and CB tells me they just came out with a new album, I thought they were still split up). By the way Kat, Tesla gets the honorable mention in my book, I love that acoustic intro!:dude:

Childbride
July 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
i have to thank all of you very much for all your help [once again!]

your songs have not only inspired me, they've helped me link into other songs...

i only get to play two or three for my recital [he hasn't told me definitively yet, i guess i find out tomorrow, missed my lesson last week] but i have lots of songs written on my 'to learn' list! :D :rockon:

Rocket
July 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Nice thing about Sleepwalk is that one can strum out the two repetitive rhythm progressions (C/Am/Fm/G), (C/Am/F/G) while the other lays down the easy notes.
Very easy and always a crowd-pleaser!

Childbride
July 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
i'm memorizing the first part of Sleepwalk this week, up to the chorus. [my lessons are only 1/2 hour]

it sounds so darned cool... thanks, Rocket, for that suggestion, i wouldn't have thought of that one on my own...

aeolian
July 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Sleepwalk is indeed a great tune to play. It is one of the few cover songs that I actually recorded because I thought there is something I can contribute to the song.

My Sleepwalk (http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/slpwalk.mp3)