PDA

View Full Version : Coheed and cambria?

Squireman131
July 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
they are by far my favorite band. They are kinda new and i am betting a lot of you guys haven't heard of them but i like them. They have amazing guitarists, and the lead singer has HUGE hair. Their songs are based off of a comic book that the lead singer writes and its sci fi so it probably wont appeal to most but i enjoy it plus alot of their songs have insanely creative solos, check out welcome home its a good one, that and in keeping secrets of silent earth three....long title

scgmhawk
July 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
I can't say that I really know their music but my son likes them. I actually used to work with a guy who was friends with their drummer (I believe -- either drummer or bassist). The guy I knew was from Kingston, NY so I believe they're from that area. I'll have to check them out.

marnold
July 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I saw one of their videos on Fuse yesterday as I was flipping through the stations. I was amazed that a voice like that could come out of a big guy with big hair. It was this video:
o8W5t7IhFHc

They're probably not my cup of tea, but they did cover Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," which earns them points in my book.
EekbieTTYSc

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I love these guys!

I see them on fuse from time to time and boy does the singer (claud something I think his name is) does have a huge voice.

They had a article on these guys in a earlier issue of GP

Squireman131
July 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I think its amazing he can hit those notes seeing as he is a relatively big guy

sunvalleylaw
July 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Cool! I'll have to check more out. That singer looks just a little like the love child of Sasquatch's bride and the caveman from the Geico ads. Marnold, does'nt he also get points for the pointy guitar?!

thearabianmage
July 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
they are by far my favorite band. . .

Maybe you can help me out on this one: I've known about this band for about 3-4 years now (and missed a chance to see them at a festival I went to because I was late getting there) and I have friends whose musical tastes are not bad but they swear by this band ('bloody brilliant!' they say)

Saying that, I found an album of theirs for 99p (IV - Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness) so I bought it and I've listened to it a few times and thought it was just naff (their 'emo tendencies' sort of peeve me). Is there a particular album you would recommend? There are aspects of the band that I like, but I'm not sure I've picked the best album to start with. . .

The singer has a very cool accent when he sings, though, that cannot be denied.

Squireman131
July 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Maybe you can help me out on this one: I've known about this band for about 3-4 years now (and missed a chance to see them at a festival I went to because I was late getting there) and I have friends whose musical tastes are not bad but they swear by this band ('bloody brilliant!' they say)

Saying that, I found an album of theirs for 99p (IV - Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness) so I bought it and I've listened to it a few times and thought it was just naff (their 'emo tendencies' sort of peeve me). Is there a particular album you would recommend? There are aspects of the band that I like, but I'm not sure I've picked the best album to start with. . .

The singer has a very cool accent when he sings, though, that cannot be denied.

By far there second album is the best in MHO then there first one then the one you got then there newest. There second one is called In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth Three. I saw them live at warped tour last year and it was a very good show them and killswitch engage were the only bands i really got into that day and yes his accent is quite awesome hahaha ...plus his last name is sanchez hahahaha

thearabianmage
July 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
By far there second album is the best in MHO then there first one then the one you got then there newest. There second one is called In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth Three. I saw them live at warped tour last year and it was a very good show them and killswitch engage were the only bands i really got into that day and yes his accent is quite awesome hahaha ...plus his last name is sanchez hahahaha

I must say, I've been listening to album again and there are a couple good 'uns. My favorite might just be the last track - it's pretty decent (especially the bluegrass bit right at the very end - killer!).

Just one question: from what I understand, their second album is called 'K.S.S.E. Three' then their 3rd album is 'IV' - what is 'One'? Is it like Slipknot where their second album is when they came onto the scene? (Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat is sick (good vocals, guitar solos, etc.), and is Slipknot's 1st album, but not many people know of its existence - so Slipknot 'Slipknot' is what most people think is their 1st album - and subsequently what most people think is Slipknot, although it varies greatly from M.F.K.R.)

If that made any sense what-so-ever. . .

Sanchez. . . Does he ever wear a sombrero on stage? With his hair, it might make for a good image. . . Guitar, vocals, mop, sombrero. . . I'd pay to watch that. Are the albums his 'comics' or are there actual comicbooks? Who's the illustrator?

marnold
July 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Marnold, does'nt he also get points for the pointy guitar?!
Pointies are good, yes. Although these days most metal or quasi-metal acts are using some form of pointies. The Dean Dimebag models and Vs are very popular.

thearabianmage
July 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Pointies are good, yes. Although these days most metal or quasi-metal acts are using some form of pointies. The Dean Dimebag models and Vs are very popular.

Funny. . . I don't know why but I would never really have classed Explorers as 'pointy', though they sort of are. I just can't put them in the same category as Warlocks, really. It must be because even their 'points' are rounded off. Jackson 'Kelly''s on the other hand I would consider pointy.

But if rounded 'points' are still enough to class them as 'pointy', then surely Strats are pointy as well? After all, their fins are commonly referred to as 'horns', which implies some sort of point.

Or am I just on another rant? :confused:

marnold
July 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
But if rounded 'points' are still enough to class them as 'pointy', then surely Strats are pointy as well? After all, their fins are commonly referred to as 'horns', which implies some sort of point.

Or am I just on another rant? :confused:
Probably :)

I would classify Explorers as pointies as well as the original Gibson V even though, as you point out (har!) their points are rounded. For my money, the ultimate in pointy is Moser Guitars (http://www.mosercustomshop.com/). Any guitar that you'd need plate mail to play without injury is an ueber-pointy in my book.

thearabianmage
July 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Moser Guitars (http://www.mosercustomshop.com/)

. . . <drool>. . . :master:

Squireman131
July 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I must say, I've been listening to album again and there are a couple good 'uns. My favorite might just be the last track - it's pretty decent (especially the bluegrass bit right at the very end - killer!).

Just one question: from what I understand, their second album is called 'K.S.S.E. Three' then their 3rd album is 'IV' - what is 'One'? Is it like Slipknot where their second album is when they came onto the scene? (Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat is sick (good vocals, guitar solos, etc.), and is Slipknot's 1st album, but not many people know of its existence - so Slipknot 'Slipknot' is what most people think is their 1st album - and subsequently what most people think is Slipknot, although it varies greatly from M.F.K.R.)

If that made any sense what-so-ever. . .

Sanchez. . . Does he ever wear a sombrero on stage? With his hair, it might make for a good image. . . Guitar, vocals, mop, sombrero. . . I'd pay to watch that. Are the albums his 'comics' or are there actual comicbooks? Who's the illustrator?

Huge story but i got time hah.
First they were a band called shabutie and the put out the penelope EP. All very good but lengthy songs. Then the put out SSTB as coheed and cambria. Next the put out IKSSE3 which was named after the planet the main characters are from. Pretty much the third planet found that was inhabitable and they called it earth three. Then they put out the one you have. Then they puit out there latest album.

ShortBuSX
July 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I dont get it, seriously.
Ive got friends who rave about CC, but Id only heard like one or two songs on the radio, but even those escaped me...its not like it set my hair on fire.
So I began to look them up online...I went to Youtube, theyve got alot of live performances there. I began clicking and clicking looking for something that had any kind of melody that resembled the stuff that I vaguely remembered hearing on the radio...but it was terrible! I figured, well theyre a studio band and they just cant carry it live...cause the live stuff was aweful!!!(there isnt any sugarcoating it)
I was disappointed, so I asked my freinds, "what songs??? Cause I cant find anything listenable."
A couple of weeks passed and I saw them on Jimmy Kimmel live...and that was better, they played a couple of familiar songs.
From what I saw, they have familiar elements of bands that rocked in the past...but its more of riff smorgisborg with no real melody, not even the vocals.
Im not a fan, I dont get it, I must be getting old.

Squireman131
July 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
haha its all good personal opinion. Some of they're live performances suck because the singer has acid reflux. But others are good. It just depends on which one you watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18nnIw_h-8 thats one of my faves.

ShortBuSX
July 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
haha its all good personal opinion. Some of they're live performances suck because the singer has acid reflux. But others are good. It just depends on which one you watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18nnIw_h-8 thats one of my faves.

Thanks for not taking offense to my opinion, and that video was better than the ones Id seen previously...but I think you may be onto something, why I dont particularly care for them, and I think that IS the singer...cause the music isnt terrible, but there is just something about that group that I just dont get...and as previously stated, it could be that Im just getting older.:thwap:

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hey one of my fav bands aswell. I got a huge shock seeing the man behind the voice aswell. Wat a voice it is but. The rush influence is quite obvious IMO. At least on the vocals.

I love the acoustic track on their Starland DVD. The vocals are just amazing

Squireman131
August 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah i really enjoy the starland ballroom dvd so i put it on my ipod haha