PDA

View Full Version : Something to Complement the DVM Deluxe VJr

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Just wrapped up a deal on this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/IMG_0175.jpg

Burning the midnight oil here at The Strum Guitar Emporium.

Thanks Brian, my wife would like to speak to you. http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/nutkick.gif

warren0728
July 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
very cool strum...is that p90's i see?

ww

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
very cool strum...is that p90's i see?

ww

Yes it is. I have no idea of P90's but everyone here seems to think highly of them.

Been communicating back and forth with the guy. I am going to have him deliver it to one of my suppliers I deal with at work. I'll have the owner of the company inspect it and then pay the guy cash (couldn't swing a trade) and then my friend will pack it up and ship it to me. Pretty safe transaction and no eBay, no PayPal.

We agreed to a cyberspace handshake and he said the guitar is mine.

Ch0jin
July 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Now THAT is a nice guitar. I cant really see the headstock but i'm guessing by the big "e" on the case it's an Epiphone Wildkat?

I'd be really keen to hear soundclips ;) I've always wanted a bigsby equipped guitar....

just strum
July 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Brian posted about the one at the pawn shop last night and I started doing some research on it and just happened to stumble upon this. A fretters fluke.

tot_Ou_tard
July 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Brian posted about the one at the pawn shop last night and I started doing some research on it and just happened to stumble upon this. A fretters fluke.
The workings of GAS are never a fluke.

First GAS posts through a fretter. "Hey check out my cool new PERFECT guitar."

Secondly GAS tells some poor schmuck on EBaY or on craigslist or somewhere that even though he thought he had a PERFECT guitar, he really, really neeEEEEeeds to sell it so he can buy that KILLER amph.

Thirdly GAS distracts Strum or some other fretter to anxiety about a having a PERFECT guitar. Thus causing him to poke about the internet looking for info on the PERFECT guitar thus running into said schmuck's ad.

It's tough work being GAS.

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Congrats, Strum! I have a feeling that you are gonna love the tones that you get from the Wildkat and the DVM modded Valve Junior.

P90s to my ears have a really cool tone, kinda like a cross between a single and a bucker, with plenty of snarl.

The GAS gods have smiled, for you have made a good match, and are destined for tone heaven.:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Ok, now we know why the sale of some other nice stuff going on right now.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Ok, now we know why the sale of some other nice stuff going on right now.

Bingo. although the "oh, I've had this one, I just seldom bring it out" is in my hip pocket if needed.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Bingo. although the "oh, I've had this one, I just seldom bring it out" is in my hip pocket if needed.

What a perfect thing to say.;)

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Strum... I'd be interested to know the exact weight of that WildKat.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM

You and Tot will be the first to know.

just strum
July 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Rocket,

I was told that it weights 8.5 lbs. I think that's pretty decent, but I will have to wait for it to arrive to confirm.

If you see Tot, let him know that preliminary report is 8.5 lbs. He's obsessed with weight.

tot_Ou_tard
July 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
If you see Tot, let him know that preliminary report is 8.5 lbs. He's obsessed with weight.
I like to know so I can pretend to be above such piddling concerns.

8.5 lbs

*hmmmph*

no different than if it weighed 85 lbs.

just strum
July 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Well this deal may have gone sour. I tried getting a hold of the seller to make arrangements for him to meet my friend outside of Philadelphia and he hasn't responded. I also asked for some additional info and pics and again no response.

I dropped my eBay account so the buying frenzy will be curtailed. I was really GASSING for that guitar, so I will keep an eye open for another.

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Finally got a hold of the guy and the guitar is now in he hands of my friend in Philadelphia (Warminster to be exact). It will ship today or tomorrow at the latest - he may have to get a box at a store if he doesn't have one available.

that's it, no more guitars.

So Rocket, when you are about to sell the JJ, don't tell me (just kidding, PM me when it hits the market)

Rocket
July 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
So Rocket, when you are about to sell the JJ, don't tell me (just kidding, PM me when it hits the market)
That one isn't going anywhere soon... the SG however...

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
That one isn't going anywhere soon...

Didn't think so.

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Finally got a hold of the guy and the guitar is now in he hands of my friend in Philadelphia (Warminster to be exact). It will ship today or tomorrow at the latest - he may have to get a box at a store if he doesn't have one available.

Geez, it hasn't even left Warminster and there's a slight chance I sold it already. A guy out in the shop at my buddies business where the guitar is right now, is interested in the guitar. (I know, I butchered that sentence)

evenkeel
July 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yowzaaa!!! On July 3 at one in the afternoon Strum "buys" a spiffy new guitar. Takes a breather over the weekend. Yesterday the deal goes sour, then gets back on track. Today he may have sold the guitar before actually seeing it.

This has to be a new indoor record of some kind.:D :D

duhvoodooman
July 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Geez, it hasn't even left Warminster and there's a slight chance I sold it already. A guy out in the shop at my buddies business where the guitar is right now, is interested in the guitar. (I know, I butchered that sentence)
Lemme make sure I have this straight, Strum--you just bought a guitar and may sell it again without actually ever having held/played it? Doesn't that seem just a tiny bit, er.....strange? :poke: ;)

Rocket
July 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Lemme make sure I have this straight, Strum--you just bought a guitar and may sell it again without actually ever having held/played it? Doesn't that seem just a tiny bit, er.....strange? :poke: ;)
For Strum?... Sounds about right to me.

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Well, the resell didn't work out, so I didn't break any records.

I'm not sure what's strange though. Step #1) I had it hand delivered to a friends business and inspected. Step #2) my friend gave the seller cash. Step #3) While getting it ready for shipment one of his employees got a case of GAS. Step #4) I offer to help him get over that and make myself $150. Step #5) He almost pulled the trigger, but then decided not to. Step #6) Guitar in transit and I have the tracking number.

So, I will attempt the record another day. My goal is to buy a guitar and sell it back to the seller before he or she has shipped it. Oh, and make a profit.

duhvoodooman
July 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
So, I will attempt the record another day. My goal is to buy a guitar and sell it back to the seller before he or she has shipped it. Oh, and make a profit.
And I have absolutely no doubt that you will achieve that goal! And probably sooner than later! ;) :rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
July 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Damn Strum, we should put you to work for the government. You could buy oil, then sell it back to the Saudis at a profit!:beer:

By the way, I've given up on any hope of being a guitar sales model, when I get ready to sell a guitar, I'm just going to have you sell it for me (for a modest percentage of course:D ).

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
...You could buy oil, then sell it back to the Saudis at a profit!...

Hmmm, I will have to give Prince Nayef bin Fawwaz Al Shalaan a call.

just strum
July 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well, it arrived today. The guitar needs a good cleaning of the frets, it looks like steel wool or some other form of good cleaning.

The back of the body has some scratches, nothing that bothers me and I am not one to concern myself with the back of the guitar. There is a finish crack (I think) about 5" from the neck on the side of the body that runs front to back. No apparent effect to playability.

I was told about all the bumps and bruises before agreeing to buying it and I found no additional issues.

The bridge pup has a stripped screw hole that will need to be fixed. I was aware of this and it's an easy fix. The covers are slightly pitted, so I have to look into taking care of that. I'm not sure if I am sold on the P90 pups.

Guitar has three volume controls (bridge, neck, and master) and one tone.

Right now it is strung with 11's and I like them, so even if I install new ones soon, probably be 11's. Played it through the VJr and AD30VT, but still need to play some more before I really comment. I will say for only having it for 45 minutes I am pleased.

Here are some quick photos - you can see the cat stripes in the bottom right hand photo.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture325.jpghttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture326.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture328.jpghttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture329.jpg

warren0728
July 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
looks cool strum....give the p90's a chance... :beer:

ww

ted s
July 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
She's purdy !

wingsdad
July 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
looks cool strum....give the p90's a chance... :beer:

Ditto, Strum. Especially with that hot-rod VJ.

Man, you're on quite a Guitar Acquisition & Sales roll ... :master:

Kinda fun, isn't it?;)

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I think it looks awesome. I kinda hope you bond with it.

duhvoodooman
July 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, I will have to give Prince Nayef bin Fawwaz Al Shalaan a call.
I know his cousin, Sheik Yerbouti. :D

t_ross33
July 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I know his cousin, Sheik Yerbouti. :D

:rotflmao:GAWD! How long have you been waiting to pull THAT out, DVM?? :rotflmao:

Nice one. :beer:

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Da Vood has been waiting for the right moment to pull that outta the hat... finally that moment came. Bow yerselfs for da Vood! :master:

duhvoodooman
July 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Da Vood has been waiting for the right moment to pull that outta the hat... finally that moment came. Bow yerselfs for da Vood! :master:
I can take very little credit, because it comes from the fertile comedic mind of the late Frank Zappa. Sheik Yerbouti was the title of a double live Zappa album from 1979, and was the first release on his personal label, Zappa Records. Album cover:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Sheik_Yerbouti.jpeg

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I knew that, vood - but it's all about the timing dude, and you've got it! :D hehe

Rocket
August 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
You and Tot will be the first to know.
Still waitin' on that exact weight...

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Still waitin' on that exact weight...

8 lbs