PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Squireman131
July 3rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Is it so hard to get a job !!!!! i really would like one ahhh how many teenagers actually want one , not many that i know . I dont even mind where, i even applied at ...BK. man this sucks. Im going to be sixteen on august 1st .... maybe subway...

Algonquin
July 3rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
Be persistant, and it will happen. When it does, strive to do a good job out of personal pride and the sense of accomplishment you will get. It's sometimes easier to know that you're benefitting inside from a job well done, as opposed to doing it only because a Manager or Corporation demands it.

Good luck.

Robert
July 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hang in there man, you'll get something good eventually, don't worry. Just keep working on it.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
My kids (slightly older) went through the same thing. They blitzed the places of their choice and it worked out rather quickly. My daughter is working at a grocery store, makes good money and gets tips when she's assigned to load cars. My son worked at a pizza shop and now works at a veterinarian clinic and loves it. He's the only kid I know that has never complained about work (just the opposite from my daughter).

Hang in there, be persistent, blitz all of the places in your area - and FOLLOW-UP, that shows a store manager or owner that you are interested and serious about wanting to work for them.

piebaldpython
July 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Good tips from all the others....so, once you get a job, no matter how piddling...strive to give off a cheerful disposition to customers and the people you work with and for.....you NEVER know who may remember you in the FUTURE for how you acted in the PAST.....people who could have an impact in your life, so being pleasant/courteous can only HELP you.....yeah, this sounds "common sensical" but with all the miserable cranks I constantly run into, I'm amazed they can even hold a job......ahahahhahahhahha

marnold
July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
When I was in high school, the unemployment rate for high school/college aged kids was 20%. I applied everywhere. Most of the fast-food places didn't want me because I was going to school in another city so I couldn't work weekends during school. One fast-food purveyor even told me to my face that he would hire me . . . if I was female. Found out later that he treats his employees like crap (go figure) so it was all good.

Eventually I got a job as a summer teller at a bank and worked there for six consecutive summers.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I always got my jobs though family friends that had businesses. Your folks might have some leads. (EDIT: I had to apply like everyone else and used the tips that Kat gives below. But Good advice). I used to clean a bakery every afternoon. (Hard work, and I got tired of the free donuts), but it was fair and paid, later at a local store where I learned to run a till the old fashioned way and count change back to customers. That must have benefited me somehow, and did the standard lawn and yard care stuff around the neighborhood. Get creative about what you could do for your neighbors and ask your folks. There is a job out there. All the better if it is not a fast food corporate joint.

As for the store job, it was in a rougher section of Tacoma, and when I worked the job later between years of college, I got robbed at apparent gunpoint (the gun turned out to be a pellet pistol with the end taken off so it looked like a real gun, but I couldn't tell the difference with it shaking in my face like a bad guy in a 70's Dirty Harry movie) so consider where it is you will be working and what hours. But that was an unusual deal, there is a job out there.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Another thought. I'm not sure where you live and how successful it would be for you. When my son was 14 years old he started his own company on the street. He passed out flyer's just before the beginning of summer to let the entire street know that he was experienced in caring for cats, dogs, and reptiles. People would go on vacation and my son would care for the house, take care of the animals and water flower gardens. Two neighbors have greenhouses in their backyard and my son would take care of all the plants. There were some weeks in the summer where he would be pulling in $250 to $350. It wasn't a bad gig while he was in high school.

One of his customers own a veterinarian clinic, that's where my son works today and giving serious thought to becoming a veterinarian. So there is a good example on how Pie's advice can pay off.

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Attitude is everything. Set yourself apart from others your age. Dress well and conservatively. Groom yourself appropriately for a professional appearance (even if it is for fast food). Say "Yes, Sir / Ma'am" and "No Sir/Ma'am" to show respect and manners, until the interviewer tells you that it's okay to not say that. Answer questions honestly, and stress your strengths when asked (quick learner, good student, hard working). Have references available (at least three) of some adults in your area that can vouch for you, like a pastor, a teacher, or someone you've done a good job for in the past, and don't use family or relatives.

In my area, generally you can't work at a convenience store that sells alcohol until age 18, and I would avoid them anyway.

Grocery Store work is a good job. Fast food work is demanding, but can be fun with the right management.

Here's some other ideas:

Mowing lawns in the summer: It's hard work, but there was a kid that I went to college with that started his own landscaping business in high school. Ended up paying his own way through college, with several work crews that he managed. My stepdad supported our family well with a commercial landscaping business.

Department stores at the local mall: A little bit slower paced, but out of the summer heat. Still could have long, odd hours.

The ol' fashioned paper route: True, you'd get up very early in the morning, but you'd be done in time to go home, take a nap, and still have time to do stuff with friends for the rest of the day.

Hope this helps.

sumitomo
July 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I own my own business and I would have to say keep your mind open as to what kind of work,your young now so experience much and FOLLOW UP,let em know you want work but dont over do it as to be a pest or that your hard up,cause they will figure you will work for peanuts and we all know that you will work for Strats.Good luck on the hunt.Sumi:D

Squireman131
July 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
yeah thanks for all the advice, i live out in the middle of no where and have no neighbors so mowing lawns is outta the question and its not really so i get a feel for a job i just need some benjamins hahaha i already got my actual career established. im either going to go down to a butcher shop about 100 yards from my house see if i can get work there if not im gonna wait till im 16 to apply for subway( need to be 16 to work in a place with ovens) or maybe a slightly farther but not to far pizza shop.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Clean up at the butcher could be decent work. I had to do clean up of a small butcher room at Sun Valley when I was a prep cook there. We cleaned the butcher room with a hot hose, bleach, etc. and made sure the stainless steel equipment was sanitary and ready to do after each use. It would be a bigger job in a larger butcher's place, but certainly doable. I would rather do that than work at a fast food place.

TS808
July 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sometimes it takes a while to find a job. As everyone else said, be persistent and don't give up. When you apply somewhere, call afterward and thank them for the chance to apply, and call them back every once in a while to remind them that you're still looking and are still interested in working there.

Squireman131
July 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
So i think i got one. Ill be cleaning dorms for the college thats close to my town. Penn state, maybe youve heard of it. But its good money my gram made over a thousand dollars in less then 2 weeks so that will bve good. only downside is ill have to miss one week because of marching band. But even if i only make atleast 300 dollars i can finally buy the thunderbird IV bass ive been wanting.

M29
July 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Hello,

I had a friend suggest changing light bulbs as a small business. I know this sounds odd but this is what they do. They go around to businesses and keep their florescent lights all working. How many times have you ever been somewhere and there is always a few lights out. A ladder and some stock and you are on your way. After a while you build up a clientel and they keep you working. Lights are always going out and you just keep replacing them. Something to think about.

M29