PDA

View Full Version : How to keep skunks away?

Spudman
July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Anybody have any tips for keeping skunks away from the house?

In the wee hours of the morning one of the fragrant racing striped critters is prowling the neighbor hood. That in itself isn't such a big deal but the fact that I have the windows open at night to cool the house is making it a huge issue and I don't want to sleep in a gas mask.

SuperSwede
July 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
trip-mines?

We dont have skunks here (other than me).. do they usually spray first, and ask later?

sumitomo
July 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Quit growing all that bud and the smell will go away!Sumi:D:D

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Other than leaving an open can of cat food at the end of the block and hoping that the skunk follows it, I would say that an exterminator or local animal control would be able to set out a live trap to get rid of the skunk. Once it's made a home there, it's gonna stay until the skunk is removed.

Good luck, and keep a large supply of tomato juice handy just in case, as those little boogers are apt to be where you least expect it. They are accurate, too!

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Quit growing all that bud and the smell will go away!Sumi
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Anybody have any tips for keeping skunks away from the house?
Yard dog!

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yard dog!

Eventually stinky yard dog.

I find that pavement to skunks is like fly paper to flies, at least on my drive to work. Lure them to the road and let the cars do the rest.

I shoot them with a pellet gun on the very rare occasions that they show up (maybe two or three times in 15 year). We have coyote and fox, so I'm not sure if that keeps the skunks away.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Good luck, and keep a large supply of tomato juice handy just in case, as those little boogers are apt to be where you least expect it.

What, so I can have cocktails with it? :D

Sumi - did you Google earth my yard or something?;)

I can't figure out why it is stinking so much. There haven't been any dogs barking to scare it into spraying and I know they don't smell this strong unless they do spray. The inside of the house smells like a Cheech and Chong movie set.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
trip-mines?

We dont have skunks here (other than me).. do they usually spray first, and ask later?

HA, I was just going to say land mines with a light trigger. Hmm. We had some under our shed and they went away after I bombed it for the bees that were also nesting in there. See if you can figure out where they are nesting and bomb it out with something nasty smelling. I suppose animal control should really do it with a live trap if they will. You are in the city there.

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
A 12 gauge?

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
HA, I was just going to say land mines with a light trigger. Hmm. We had some under our shed and they went away after I bombed it for the bees that were also nesting in there. See if you can figure out where they are nesting and bomb it out with something nasty smelling. I suppose animal control should really do it with a live trap if they will. You are in the city there.

Just don't kill them or you will be dealing with another smell. Last week something really was stinking up our garage. It was especially strong first thing in the morning before the door was opened. Later in the week my wife went to get a watering can and there was a chipmunk or some sort of rodent that jumped in and drowned. STINK!!!

Algonquin
July 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Skunks are bold, and they are tough to discourage once they start coming around.

I had a skunk dig itself a home underneath the cement slab of my front porch... twice! The smell became very noticable in my basement. If this has happened to you, you have to be pretty diligent to get it out.

Look around your property and see if it's dug itself a new home. If it has, you'll have to stuff the opening with crumpled newspaper... if the paper is disturbed, you'll know it's been coming or going. Try lights and a radio around this area, as this is supposed to detract them in some small way.

If you find it's hole has gone undisturbed for a few days, you can be certain (fairly) that's it's gone (for now).

I eventually had to dig up the soil the etire length of porch down two feet, then attached (tapcon screws to the cement) wire mesh two feet down, and 1 foot (90 degerees) out. When it came back a few days later it tried to redig, but couldn't get it because of the wire.

A week later, my neigbors at the end of the street were calling pest control to have the same thing done to their house.

I tried to stink it out, with a solution I got off the internet. It was basically a blend of boliled onions, hot sauce, hot peppers type of soup which I poured in it's hole... didn't seems to work though, and they are used to strong odours.

Good luck with your dilema... hope you get rid of it soon.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
I tried to stink it out, with a solution I got off the internet. It was basically a blend of boliled onions, hot sauce, hot peppers

Chili?

Algonquin
July 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Chili? :rotflmao:
It does sound like I was feeding it... :thwap: Maybe that's why it came back a second time.

marnold
July 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Dog fur can do wonders for a lot of different pests. If you have dogs or have neighbors who have dogs, they are probably shedding at this time of year. Leave the clumps of fur around where the skunks have been wont to be.

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
You have very few choices to remove it.
First... kill it.. not an option if you care for animals.

Second.. call your local animal catcher / animal shelter..
which will bait and trap it and probably humanely? kill it later instead of release it (justa my opinion)

third... call a wildlife organization which probably will release it.

Fourth... remove any food around your home and as Kat mentioned bait food elsewhere. they love cat food!
Bait this in the opposite place the wind blows obviously.(maybe a neighbor you don't like?)

We have skunk, possum, racoons, a ground hog and our cats, dogs outside in kennel daily/nitely
and the occasional deer running around the house here. all destructive yet living kreatures.
All these guys live together.. they do not fear each other as much as I can tell.

Lighting wont help, noise does not work and fear is not an issue if the smell of food is present.
They only spray on fear and defense..so something is already bothering it. smell of food is keeping it around.
We need to have food out for the cats and dogs, so we just enjoy the rest of the kritters that come along.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
We had a skunk family under our shed (mom and some babies). And I would go in and out of the shed all the time, plus start up a tractor to pull in and out of the shed. It never seemed to bother them, no spray or panic. I figure they are saying to each other every time a human gets near "wow, did you get a whiff of that one?"

sumitomo
July 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well just be glad its not a mountain boomer,cause if it was it would take all your buds and leave ya with just the leaf.Sumi:D:D

ZMAN
July 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Usually they are attracted by GRUBS. If there is a lawn in your area that has been infested with them they can smell them a mile away. They make little cirles in the lawn. On a bad day they can rip up a complete section. Of course the grubs would probably have killed the lawn anyway. If you treat your lawn for grubs and keep garbage covered you should not see them. IF you Do see them in the daylight it is time to call animal control and keep away from them. They might be rabid.
I took my German Wirehaired Pointer out one night at 11 pm and was startled by one at the top of our steps. It sprayed my dog and me and, The smell in the house was so bad we had to move out for a couple of days. For a year or so every time she got wet you could smell the skunk.

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Usually they are attracted by GRUBS.
so go to the bait store and buy all their grubs and throw them in your neighbors yard! :rotflmao:

ww

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
so go to the bait store and buy all their grubs and throw them in your neighbors yard! :rotflmao:

ww

Hmmm, my neighbor and I don't get along and they leave there garage door open all night long. Maybe if I throw grubs in there...

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hmmm, my neighbor and I don't get along and they leave there garage door open all night long. Maybe if I throw grubs in there...
now that's a plan! :beer:

ww

TS808
July 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
What actually works is mothballs. Spreading them throughout your property will keep them away.

Here's the catch though..using mothballs for that purpose can be a violation of certain laws...go figure. Maybe keeping them in some kind of container where they still smell it will work...just don't spread them around.

Spudman
July 6th, 2008, 11:57 PM
What actually works is mothballs. Spreading them throughout your property will keep them away.

Here's the catch though..using mothballs for that purpose can be a violation of certain laws...go figure. Maybe keeping them in some kind of container where they still smell it will work...just don't spread them around.

Thanks. That sounds worth trying...and it should keep the moths away too.:)

tot_Ou_tard
July 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
No matter what you do Spud, there is no hope

http://blog.thecombustionchamber.com/images/pepe_la_peu.jpg

Spudman
July 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Do you think it might be the sexy neighbor cat that keeps him coming around?

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Do you think it might be the sexy neighbor cat that keeps him coming around?

That or the combination of a sexy cat and food.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7DqhGH5u7Mk Guys love sex and food.

Spudman
July 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
That's cool but no romance going on so I'm guessing the cat and skunk have been married or a while now?:D

peachhead
July 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
That's cool but no romance going on so I'm guessing the cat and skunk have been married or a while now?:D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: