PDA

View Full Version : Fender Custom Shop '69's

Nelskie
May 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Well, to start with, I was going to add to an existing post I'd made over on the Stratocaster section of the forum, but it didn't "take", as in show as a new post. And then I thought about me adding content about p'ups to a guitar section, and well . . . you know what I'm saying.

But anyways, I finally did get those Fender CS '69's dropped in my MIM Classic 60's Strat, and did a "rogue post" of it over on the Strat section. Just in case anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=5293&postcount=23

These are the best Stratocaster pickups I've ever had the pleasure hearing, much less the most gratuitous opportunity to play every day, if I so choose. Abigail, I LOVE you!! ;)

Robert
May 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Have you tried the Custom Shop 54? I have them in my Strat, and the neck and middle pups are heavenly sounding. I imagine the 69s and 54s are quite close in sound.

Nelskie
May 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
No Robert, I haven't heard or tried the '54 set, but from what I've read, they're pretty close to the '69's as far as sonic output & tone are concerned. The bridge p'up I believe is just a tad hotter on the '54 set. The '69's use a different bobbin.

I'm sure there would be some nuances in the overall tone between the two, depending on what type of guitar you put them in (newer vs. vintage), the type of finish (nitro lacquer vs. a standard finsh), or if the had guitar an all-maple neck vs. a maple rosewood fretboard (the tone in the latter perhaps a tad warmer.) The trem block & type of bridge might also make a different in the "ring" of the notes / chords. My guitar's tone "sparkles" from the benefit of the new Callaham trem block that I put in at the same time. I'd give it five stars as far as a "bang-for-the-buck" mod. Tonally, a big difference vs. stock.

The only thing I have left to do on this guitar now to make it perfect is to "relic" it, which will probably take me all of the next twenty years or so. Yeah, this one's a keeper! ;)

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Congratulations on the new pups... I wish I could get all my guitars to sound like a Strat on the neck and middle pups. With a good, clean tone and the right mood, I could play jazzy, bluesy riffs all night!

You lost me on one thing, though, so please educate me... Who's Abigail?:confused:

Nelskie
May 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
"Abigail" is Abigail Ybarra, a long-time employee of Fender. She's been winding pick-ups since 1959, many of which have been used by some of rock's most prolific players. Here's a little 'blurb from the Fender website:

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=19

Abigail initials and dates each one of her hand-wound pickups - something she's done for the duration of her tenure at Fender.

To me, that's like having a little bit of rock history inside of your guitar! ;)

Spudman
May 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Nelskie
Send me your axe and I'll relic it for you. I have a custom rope that I use to drag guitars behind my bicycle. Relics them real quick.:D

When you replaced the trem block did you keep the bridge and saddles and the new block fit right on? What actual difference can you tell? And, is your fretboard maple of rosewood?

ZoSo65
May 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Gotta love the sounds from 69's!
Congrats!!

Nelskie
May 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Whoa there, Lone Ranger! I'll pass on the rope trick! The block was a straight change-out. No muss, no fuss. And still using my stock bridge / saddles. The fretboard on my guitar is rosewood.

Biggest change with the new block is in overall tone definition. Notes & chords ring clear and true, with greatly improved sustain. When you're talking classic Strat tone, this is where you want to be. The bottom end is wide and warm, mids tight and focused, highs rich and chimey.

That be what my ears iz' hearin'. ;)

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the history lesson, Nelskie!:DR

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Nelskie, how much have you invested in that guitar? Truly a Nelskie signature strat :)

Spuds. have you reliced anything else with the custom rope? TV, books, wife?

Nelskie
May 12th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Swede - The Custom Shop '69's (full set) were $139.00, and the Callaham trem block was $55. There was a little for shipping, and of course, installation costs, since I am not all that mechanically inclined. So, for around two Benjamins, that Strat is now a bona-fide tone machine. Yeah, it sounded good stock. Now it sounds amazing.

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Sounds like lots of twang for the buck! I guess that you are "home" when it comes to both LP & Strat tone?
Now you MUST consider what you need for that hollow body 335 style stuff ;)

Robert
May 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I have a Fender 2006 product brochure, and low and behold, there is a little write-up in there about Abigail and her background and here '69s. She made pickups for Hendrix and Clapton.

Fender Frontline 2006 is the name of the brochure - and wow - Fender sure have a lot of products! I won't lend you that brochure - it's full of drool.

Nelskie
May 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Sounds like lots of twang for the buck! I guess that you are "home" when it comes to both LP & Strat tone?
Now you MUST consider what you need for that hollow body 335 style stuff ;)

Yeah, I'd say that I'm pretty much set guitar-wise in those (2) dept's. As for the 335 HB, well . . . a guys gotta' have something to dream about! Like the song goes . . . further on down the road. ;)

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I'd say that I'm pretty much set guitar-wise in those (2) dept's. As for the 335 HB, well . . . a guys gotta' have something to dream about! Like the song goes . . . further on down the road. ;)

Well I am probably going to walk a few steps on that road myself... I am going to bring el credito to the music store on monday and we´ll see what happens.

Tone2TheBone
May 12th, 2006, 10:15 AM
What are you going to buy SS?

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Im gonna check out their Godin Radiator (I have read raving reviews about it)... Wouldnt mind going up the tele ladder either. We´ll see :)

Nelskie
May 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I am going to bring el credito to the music store on monday and we´ll see what happens.
Whoa! El-dangerous-o! Believe me, I know. I read some good reviews on that Godin guitar, and had even considered getting one. However, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on my G & L ASAT Tele. If you have a resource to check out a G & L, I'd highly suggest that you do.

SuperSwede
May 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I dont know what model/brand its going to be.. perhaps El pickupo for the tele... Anything could happen :D

Perhaps only new strings ;)

Bloozcat
May 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM
That's really great about those pickups, Nelskie. There's nothing like the pleasure you get when everything all comes together and works like you dreamed it would. Tone Heaven.

I've heard nothing but good about those CS '69 pickups.

Robert
May 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Did you guys here my Strat video I did a long time ago? It sounds pretty good with my CS 54s in the cheap strat.

http://revver.com/video/22014/

Nelskie
May 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Robert - Your videos used to work perfectly in my WinXP media player. Now this link (as well as the one on your Dophinstreet site) takes me to some third-party site, which requires a log-in and password, not to mention the installation of an Apple Quicktime Player. Since all I want to do is watch the video, maybe you have some tips to get around all of this hullaballoo? Thanks - Nelskie

Robert
May 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I am sorry Nelskie for the hullaballooing here! I posted the wrong address - it should be http://revver.com/video/22014/

I am hosting videos on a different place so I can keep the bandwidth usage down on my site.

One drawback is that Quicktime is needed...is it a pain to have to install it?

ZoSo65
May 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
There's always QuickTime Alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm) ;)

Robert
May 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Wow, zoso, never knew about that alternative. Interesting! Thanks for the link.

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Im gonna check out their Godin Radiator (I have read raving reviews about it)... Wouldnt mind going up the tele ladder either. We´ll see :)
I have a Radiator that I bought used for $150 US that I am quite fond of. I wouldn't buy one on my recommendation though as I don't have that much experience with different geetars.

SuperSwede
May 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Tot, I posted a thread about it in the "other guitar" section. I would really like to know more about it....

Justaguyin_nc
August 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Swede - The Custom Shop '69's (full set) were $139.00, and the Callaham trem block was $55. There was a little for shipping, and of course, installation costs, since I am not all that mechanically inclined. So, for around two Benjamins, that Strat is now a bona-fide tone machine. Yeah, it sounded good stock. Now it sounds amazing.

I also have a MIM 60's strat Nelskie.. Here lately I been thinking of seeing what a different set of Pickups would do for it although I really like the way it already sounds.. I would also like to make it into a Hardtail as I never seem to use the trem and thinking it might stay in tune better with a block although it stays pretty darn good already... Let me get this right now.. the trem block is used for this purpose correct? I been going between the 57/62 set of pickups and the 69 set... I guess I want to stay in the 60's tone with this guitar... I might just have to break down and do these mods.. if nothing else I can buy another strat to put these items into later..:) oops.. GAS..

Tinky-Winky
August 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I found a website which has some clips of various stratocaster pickups, and the CS 69 tone is my favourite.
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat-Pickup-MP3-Clips-W1C28.aspx

Justaguyin_nc
August 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Great page ... Tinky thank you very much.. I think the 69's sound wonderfull..

tremoloman
August 13th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have these installed in my AmDlx... kille pickups! I think they are a steal at $129!