PDA

View Full Version : I want to go to this show.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
I am in the mood to punk out. I like these guys, MxPx. They do some cool things with their guitars, they have energy and are generally consistent from what I can tell, and they are relatively not too depressed about life.
They are from Bremerton, WA, which is not too far from my home town of Tacoma, and is home to a US Naval shipyard where basically they mothball ships right now.

zjvbT-EmlS4&NR=1

5fUHm8YdIA8&feature=related

R-UI60r-NWMMove to Bremerton, this is a studio version. I generally prefer their live recordings as they are faster, and the guys are more adventurous with their guitars and solos, but this is worth a watch for the NW scenery.

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Some good stuff Steve. If you see them live let us know how it was. I'm always curious as to how bands translate when they play live. With a lot of punk bands I've seen I've enjoyed the energy of the live shows more than I have their studio recordings.:AOK:

aeolian
July 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
They have a GreenDay kind of vibe, I like it.

Speaking of GreenDay, I really like their recent song "Mother Mary" as Foxboro Hot Tubs. At our jam session we attempt to play this song:

SZ_EkOW9yZ4

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I need to get that Greenday release too. I may add it if I place an order with Amazon for the John Mayer DVD to get the free shipping. This is the MxPx I would advise someone to check out if they were interested.

http://www.amazon.com/At-Show-MxPx/dp/B00000JMXH

Great live performances. Like RofG says, more energy, faster, and they are more daring with their guitars. You can click on the song samples to see. They do get some Greenday vibe some, but live, get a lot of Ramones vibe as well, and do a cover of "The KKK took my baby away" that I almost prefer to the Ramones version. It doesn't show on the track list for the CD but it is there. Click on any of them. Invitation to Understanding is a personal favorite of mine, also I'm OK, You're OK.

When they formed as a band, they started with a bit of a Christian punk basis, but it is not the primary focus of the music. It is still less "death-eater" than some stuff out there.

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
They do get some Greenday vibe some, but live, get a lot of Ramones vibe as well, and do a cover of "The KKK took my baby away" that I almost prefer to the Ramones version.

That's a bold statement, but of course everyone has their own tastes in music. One reason that, for me, the original will always be the preferred version is the autobiographical nature of the song from Joey's perspective. The song is, in a roundabout way, about Joey's girlfriend leaving him for Johnny. Johnny is fairly well known for having very right-wing conservative political views while Joey is more left-leaning, so he wrote the song as a bit of a jab at Johnny. In the end, it seems like the woman in question made the choice that was right for her as she went on to marry Johnny and be with him for the rest of his life, but it was a point of contention for Joey for a long time, and from some documentaries it seems as if Joey never quite forgave him for it. For that reason their version of the song carries that bit of extra meaning. It's also my fav Ramones song to play.:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Well, I did say "almost" ;) The historical perspective you mention, and my preference generally for the writer of the song, means that The Ramones win of course. But MxPx does a good job of it as a cover. I like the faster tempo.

R_of_G
July 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
fair enough. it's cool to hear how other artists interpret the ramones. i've heard some really good and some really bad ramones covers. i'll have to check this one out.