PDA

View Full Version : Stores error...Are you held responsible?

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Im confused :confused:

lets just make this guitar related stuff...
say you bought an amp at Guitar center with 15% off..
paid half on order and waited for it to come in..
it comes in you go pick it up...
get a few more things to go with it..
swipe your visa card and all heck breaks loose
they can't get the discount in.. 10 reciepts have been printed
with the amp and other items, 3 employees and 2 managers try to figure it out..
you tell them cancel everything.. and actually get pissed at this point.
cause you don't know how many times they charged you for anything!!
the final manager tells you they will get it..
you tell them the price is wrong.. they insist they are right
your pissed and say ok..I aint saying another word!
your walked out of the store with a manager carrying your amp for you to clear security.
you get home.. look up your statement online and tell that they made a $200.00 error in YOUR favor..
you laugh your butt off.. knowing you was right all along..
ofcourse you feel a guilt because your an honest man!
days later, they call you up and say, "You havent paid for that amp..we need you to come back and pay"
they don't even say SORRY!! our fault!! we screwed up!!

Legally..do you have to go back and pay?
lol

OH Edit: you actually dont have a reciept showing it has been paid for..
looks more like a payment has been made not the total purchase.
and a serial number is involved!

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
As you say, you are an honest guy - make good. As long as you aren't getting ripped off, it's the right thing to do.

When you go back I would make it clear that you were inconvenienced by their mistake and the store is taking no action to apologize - you may work a discount of some sort bu doing that.

However, IMHO - your first mistake was walking in to GC unless you were there to buy picks only.

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
However, IMHO - your first mistake was walking in to GC unless you were there to buy picks only.

lol..just used that for the story.. but it happened to me..
I am a honest guy.. and just wondered LEGALLY.. am I responsible.
I am going back one way or the other..
with a few suggestions and waiting on appologies...

Algonquin
July 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
I think it's only fair they further compensate you on their mistake. I agree with going back, but they should be going out of their way to make you happy.

I'd try and negotiate compensation prior to going back.

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think it's only fair they further compensate you on their mistake. I agree with going back, but they should be going out of their way to make you happy.

I'd try and negotiate compensation prior to going back.

Tell them you want a limo to pick you up and from there you will negotiate the final balance.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I can't give an answer as to your legal liability because the state law is what controls and that would be different in your area than here. There are statutes covering retail stores in many states that are very specific. Under general theft law, there would need to be intent, which you did not have because you thought you had paid. You have not said what the receipt says. That might work in your favor, as it must list the gear for the price paid. i.e., amp x, picks y, and cables z were sold for price x, y and z. Evidence of sale for a price. However, those are only general law concepts, not specific to your state law, and I would expect some specific statute might apply. Like you said, you are honest and are going to take care of it anyway.

(Lawyer disclaimer) I don't want to get into giving opinions over the internet, esp. when I am not licensed in your state. The above is not legal advice and does not create a lawyer/client relationship. If you wanted to keep the gear and not pay the difference, you would need to get specific legal advice from a lawyer in your area.

Ok, that is not really an answer but best I can do today. :-) I would tell them you have a receipt that shows you were sold the gear for a price they came up with, that you are inconvenienced by all of this, that you are going to make good anyway, and ask what can they do for you.

Justaguyin_nc
July 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
haha...
ok, LEGALLY..and we know MORALLY..I probably am not in my rights to keep it.. without further payment.

Just wanted to make sure if they continue to be butts when I go back and I get no appologies, if I can walk out.

Should be interesting..One of those managers called me.. I happen to know the main store managers name.. and told him to have him call me.. and set up a meeting to discuss this..:)

t_ross33
July 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
(Lawyer disclaimer) I don't want to get into giving opinions over the internet, esp. when I am not licensed in your state. The above is not legal advice and does not create a lawyer/client relationship.

Up here we call that CYA! :rotflmao: Nice work :beer: Maybe I'll use that in my sig ;)

Hold out for that meeting Justa. Make 'em sweat, then make sure you are fairly compensated for your time and trouble. Just my .02.

Trev