PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 7-3-08 Alternate Picking Arpeggios

mark wein
July 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hey there!

This is the next in our series of lessons working up to our "Alternate Picking Etude". We are still alternate picking every note but now we are playing arpeggios where we have just one or two notes per string...

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=39

Congrats to Spacetrucker, Telecaster911 and Chris, who took 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in our first solo contest...I'll have a new one starting in a couple of days and we're going to be playing some straight ahead blues this month!

Check the forum out here: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forum/index.php

:)

Note: I am having a little trouble viewing the site in Firefox 3...in IE it works fine but in Firefox the formatting gets wonky...if you guys continue to run into problems please let me know and I'll have to make some changes....

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Note: I am having a little trouble viewing the site in Firefox 3...in IE it works fine but in Firefox the formatting gets wonky...if you guys continue to run into problems please let me know and I'll have to make some changes....
there has been a lot of talk about firefox 3....the majority consensus is to stick with 2.x for the time being....

ww

mark wein
July 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
there has been a lot of talk about firefox 3....the majority consensus is to stick with 2.x for the time being....

ww

It works OK for the most part, although I've needed to tweak it a little...

Jimi75
July 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Nice lesson Mark. It reminded me of the fact that I still have to practice the Corssroad Movie Solo to bring it up to speed.

Picking arps is pretty difficult, but once you are into it you can make great use of this technique.

Thanks for posting Mark.

mark wein
July 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Nice lesson Mark. It reminded me of the fact that I still have to practice the Corssroad Movie Solo to bring it up to speed.

Picking arps is pretty difficult, but once you are into it you can make great use of this technique.

Thanks for posting Mark.

"Eugenes Trickbag" is pretty fun to play...I did that with a student a few months ago and what I'm leading up to with this will probably sound pretty similar :D

Working on exercises like this are always a great help to my technique, even if my style of playing is nothing like how this sounds. In "Guitar World" this month they have "Flight of the Bumblebee" transcribed and thats my project for the month....

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
In my lessons, we introduced the idea of the "lowest common denominator" of the song and what the right hand is doing, so that one can play with consistent motion and rhythm in the right hand. This seems like a good tool to develop that skill in picking, as compared to strumming, which was how the topic was introduced in my lesson. It was clear the concept would relate to picking as well, and this seems to help with that.

P.S. Your site and vids work fine in the latest version of Safari.

mark wein
July 6th, 2008, 10:59 AM
In my lessons, we introduced the idea of the "lowest common denominator" of the song and what the right hand is doing, so that one can play with consistent motion and rhythm in the right hand. This seems like a good tool to develop that skill in picking, as compared to strumming, which was how the topic was introduced in my lesson. It was clear the concept would relate to picking as well, and this seems to help with that.

P.S. Your site and vids work fine in the latest version of Safari.

That is how I teach all of my right hand skills...getting the right hand to play the smallest subdivision of time all the way through a piece of music...it really keeps your playing in the "pocket"!

The sites look right on all of my computers (even with Firefox 3) except the one on my desk for some reason...I was pretty freaked out for about an hour before I decided to test it on another computer :messedup:

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I was playing around with this installment briefly this morning and went back and found the one before this that I had missed somehow. I am thinking that I will go back to this week's, and after it is under my fingers better, try playing portions of it over the Bm blues backing track that can be found in this thread. Whadd'ya think?

mark wein
July 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I was playing around with this installment briefly this morning and went back and found the one before this that I had missed somehow. I am thinking that I will go back to this week's, and after it is under my fingers better, try playing portions of it over the Bm blues backing track that can be found in this thread. Whadd'ya think?

You can give it a try but I am not sure how well the exercises will fit over a Bm blues harmonically....the first lesson is all in E minor so if you transpose that to B minor it could fit although it won't be very bluesy. This weeks lesson outlines a bunch of chords that are not in a B minor blues. If you wanted to take the arpeggios that fit the chords and move them to the correct root then you could make it work.....

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I wasn't really looking for blues licks per se out of it. Just experimenting. My instructor is always pushing the blues lines with notes that are not truly bluesy.

mark wein
July 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I wasn't really looking for blues licks per se out of it. Just experimenting. My instructor is always pushing the blues lines with notes that are not truly bluesy.

No problem...check this out...I just cranked out a quick version for a Bm Blues for you: http://www.markwein.com/PDF/BmBluesarps.pdf

At least now we're outlining the chord changes....

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Well that was really nice of you! Thank you very much! :-)

mark wein
July 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Well that was really nice of you! Thank you very much! :-)

No problem...I can do stuff like that pretty quickly in Finale...:D

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I just ran through it and will need to get up to speed to play it with the backer, but that will be good motivation to get it to where I can do that.

mark wein
July 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I just ran through it and will need to get up to speed to play it with the backer, but that will be good motivation to get it to where I can do that.

Cool!