PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my birthday/anniversary present

luvmyshiner
July 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Both are this month. We got married on the day after my birthday. It only took me three marriages to figure out a way to remember my anniversary.:thwap:

CB asked me tonight what I wanted. I asked her what the budget was (something only married folks would understand) and she told me $200. That rules out an acoustic, which is ok, because I've had my eyes on a few other toys.

Lately I've been gassing after two things, a strat (I'll admit it, CB's strat is sweet, and despite the fact that she likes her tele better, I am drawn to that guitar), and a mandolin (I've got a few John Denver songs down, and there's just something about the sound of a mando that really moves me).

So give me your thoughts, nominations and suggestions folks. Your input will be greatly appreciated, even if I don't end up following it.:dude:

Rocket
July 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Tell CB to contact me for, (yet another,) Rocket-budget-good-deal.
Won't disappoint!

warren0728
July 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
a mandolin would be cool...i like their sound too....

and i think you should request some birthday pancakes...i think cb knows how she should make them!! :pancake: :bootyshake: :beer:

ww

Steve206
July 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Just a quickie on my experience with a mandolin,,,,

Like you, I had heard them played and liked the sound. Figured that they would be a lot like a ukele, tuning wise.

Saw one of the cheaper ones from Rogue and made a move. Got the A style and for no apparent reason, quickly decided that I should have gotten the F style. Like it would have made a difference!!!!

I have made music with it and it works fine. Sounds fine. Feels real funny in my hands. But then again, so do violins. I recommend an el cheapo to start out on, and then when you can make music on that, get the one you like.

Keep in mind that it is more of a lead voice or counterpoint, not a rythym machine. Not to say that you cannot use it as one,,,,

[digital recording machine] You are going to end up with one either way....
Steve

stingx
July 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Get a portable, standalone recorder. I have an elaborate computer based DAW but I still use and love my ol' Zoom MRS-8 portable, multitrack recorder. I'm always recording ideas and I have always taken that to practices and between homes.

They can be had fairly cheaply now and some of the reasons why I like that particular unit over others in its class are:

Great built-in drum machine
Great built-in bass machine
Very good plethora of guitar, vocal, and mastering effects
Fantastic sounding output quality

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
You have to go with the mandolin. I love the sound of those things, and it would be cool to bring to Pearl (if I ever get a chance to go). Have CB get a starter Rogue and make the difference up in col'beer.

:beer: :D

Ps: My wife assisted me with remembering our anniversary by having it engraved on the inside of my wedding ring. My wife is a smart lady.:D

street music
July 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
If you decide to not take Rocket up on his (you would crazy not too accept) you might want to look at the mandolins that Rondo are selling. The y sure look great. CB you should at least give the old guy a chance at $300, after all he bought that new rack.

R_of_G
July 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Here's another vote for a mandolin. I love Bluegrass music and the sound of a mandolin has a lot to do with it. I'd love to learn to play one myself.

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions y'all, and keep 'em coming. CB's told me she's been in contact with Rocket, so I may already have my present. But there's always Christmas, New Years, Ground Hog Day, Confederate Heroes Day . . .:D

Rocket
July 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Never had a complaint yet!
I always have more stuff... and always need more room.

tot_Ou_tard
July 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Ummm, It's my bir*cough*day too. ;)

warren0728
July 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ummm, It's my bir*cough*day too. ;)
mine is in less than three weeks.... :pancake: :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
From the reports of how they are, I would snag Strum's strat he is selling. They look like "keeper" type units. A mandolin would be great, but you hang out in acoustic land a lot. Might need to join your wife more often on the powered end of things. You can take turns playing rhythm for each other as the other works on leads. Those are my $0.02. :AOK:

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I can support that statement - A Dot made it's way to me through Rocket. It wasn't one of his "collection", but it is home here and most times my favorite guitar.

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
So did you ever decide? I am still voting that Squire Deluxe Strat. :AOK:

luvmyshiner
July 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
So did you ever decide? I am still voting that Squire Deluxe Strat. :AOK:

CB's been talking to Rocket and I suspect they may have some kind of deal in the works. But she's in Austin right now for a conference so I'm not sure where they are.

Tone2TheBone
July 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
From what little I know about you and your tastes I would think a mandolin would make a fun little toy for you. I've always wanted one too. Get that!

luvmyshiner
July 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
From what little I know about you and your tastes I would think a mandolin would make a fun little toy for you. I've always wanted one too. Get that!

The mandolin is definitely going to happen Tone. It just might have to wait for Groundhog Day though.:D

luvmyshiner
July 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Say helllooooo to my little friend.:bravo:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P7150002.jpg

The Tascam DP-01FX! And a special thanks to Senor Rocket for guiding my lovely child bride to a sweet birthday/anniversary present.:bravo:

I've already started working my way through the 300 page manual, but if y'all will be patient, eventually I'll actually be able to post some clips. First I have to do some more shopping though. I need some microphones, cables, stands, probably a new computer, gotta hook up an amplifier and speakers . . . . as long as it took me to build the firefly amph, this project may take me at least three years.

BUT, the good news is I'm already working on Shiner Productions first CD . . . presenting the Shiner Family Band!

CD's will be available sometime in late 2010 for the modest price of one million dollars American each. I figure that way I only have to sell one.:D

street music
July 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
CONGRATS SHINER, that is a sweet gift for sure. I can't wait to hear the new cd's and I know there will be many. You will be a big producer in a couple of weeks and then you'll be a booking agent, manager,roadie, JACK OF ALL TRADES!:bravo: :bravo:

warren0728
July 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
very cool shiner....that looks like a fun gift....as for a million bucks for a cd...i'll wait and download a pirated version for free.... :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Cool Shiner! That will be a lot of fun!

luvmyshiner
July 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hmmm . . . Steve, I may need you to help me sue Warren when he starts pirating my CD.:nono:

magoo
July 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Congrats Shiner, I've said it before and I'll say it again you have one great lady there. But I know you don't need to be told that...now the CD, you doing rhythm, CB picking lead and BG singing...I'll BUY THAT
wait, I think I will buy warrens pirated version...LOL

Rocket
July 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Just wait till you go to put a CD in it!

warren0728
July 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Congrats Shiner, I've said it before and I'll say it again you have one great lady there. But I know you don't need to be told that...now the CD, you doing rhythm, CB picking lead and BG singing...I'll BUY THAT
wait, I think I will buy warrens pirated version...LOL
pm me...i've got an offshore account setup and my "business" is set up in the bahamas....:rotflmao:

ww

luvmyshiner
July 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Just wait till you go to put a CD in it!

Yeah, I already reached that part of the manual.:cry:

Fortunately it has a USB 2.0 port, and the son (by proxy:D ) is working on a new computer that should be able to handle everything.

Thanks again my friend.:beer:

Steve206
July 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM
This is just very good stuff. Two lovin lawyers, drivin around town with hats on their heads and guitars in their hands.

I believe that you both have reached a special point in your journey where whatever you decide to give as a gift ends up being used in the music room by all concerned. Heck, y'all could have been golfers!!!

Hopefully, the learning curve is a smooth transition into the digital recording world. You will soon find out that your playing will start to progress even more rapidly. Plus, you will be able to hear it back....

Happy whatever,,,,,

Steve

Bloozcat
July 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM
That's cool shiner....:cool:

CB managed to get that and stay within budget, eh? That makes it even better, I'd say...:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
July 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Very cool indeed Shiner.

You need a better name than the Shiner Family Band however.

luvmyshiner
July 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
You need a better name than the Shiner Family Band however.

What the hell do you mean we need a better name????? The CD's are going for a million bucks each (except for those vicious pirated copies . . . DAMN YOU WARREN:reallymad:). Why mess with that kind of success?:D :D