PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51 Humbucker

Bigbear
October 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
I have heard rumors that the 3 different types of Squier '51s have different sounding humbuckers that the blonde version sounds more aggressive and the black has more twang... is this true... anybody experence this?

This information could enhance or ruin my next project for a friend.

Justaguyin_nc
October 24th, 2005, 05:01 PM
good question... I noticed most that get the Blonde on Harmony Central are saying they will change the Pickups while the Blacks and Sunburst usually like the sound? covers are different we know this... anxious to learn more on this topic.

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Lets hear what Robert R. has to say.

I don't know what kind of pickup the 51's have but if they're anything like the standard humbuckers Fender used to use...they really sound great. I once had an American HH hardtail Stratocaster with the two humbuckers and man that thing sounded sweeeeet. Had clear transparent tone...it let the sound of the wood come through nicely yet the pickups were lively and very toney. It would be interesting to find out if the pickups are different on the various colored guitars. I know Robert's sound pretty good. ;)

Robert
October 25th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I'd be surprised if the different color models have different pickups - it doesn't really make sense. I have never heard of this before. If they do in fact use different pickups depending on color of guitar, I'd call them "otroligt knäppa i huvudet!".

The humbucker is great on my Blackie! It has really nice edgy sound that isn't over the top. Some buckers can be too gainy and too much output, but this one is great. I will not change it.

Bigbear
March 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
i have discovered that the plant where the '51 was manufactured was changed mid model year... thats why some don't have black pickguards... the pickup manufacture also changed then... they are same blueprinted pickups but i think materials may have been substituted somewhere.

When comparing two 51 humbuckers at the shop i have found that one actually reads higher for resistivity, can't tell you if its a newer or later model though, just old pickups left around from past jobs done

marnold
March 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
From what I've heard, that's one of the problems with the Squier series. Fender does not feel the need to be consistent with what parts they use for anything.

Having said that (speaking of Fender-produced humbuckers), when I got my Fender Showmaster Celtic H, I was figuring that I was going to have to replace the humbucker. After all, The name "Fender" doesn't exactly bring the phrase "quality humbucking experience" to mind. However, I've been quite pleased with the Atomic II 'bucker in there. It is VERY hot, surprisingly hot, 16.4K impedence to be exact. My only complaint with it is that it is so hot, that I have to be careful with my AD30VT or the clean channels will overdrive slightly. That's why I've got the plans for my Charvel tele. I'll have one guitar with a hot humbucker and one with a couple of nice single-coils.

In case anyone wonders or cares, I found out that the only difference between the Atomic I and Atomic II is the string spacing.

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I have never heard of this before. If they do in fact use different pickups depending on color of guitar, I'd call them "otroligt knäppa i huvudet!".

Jag kan inte annat än att hålla med dig ;)

Tone2TheBone
March 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hey no talking in another language unless you teach us the bad words. :)

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Ok, what do you want to learn today? ;)

Spudman
March 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Teach us how to say "put all the money in the bag." Sweden has an economy right?

Oh, and I often wondered why some pickups sound good and some not on the same model guitar.

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yes, we make a lot of money on americans buying stuff on IKEA.

"Stoppa alla pengarna i påsen"

Spudman
March 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Now I understand The Flower Kings song Ikea By Night.

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
yea... i suspected it... its not the different colored guitars that sound different... thats what some folks thought before, but actually its just the newer and older model of that year.

kerc
June 8th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Yes, we make a lot of money on americans buying stuff on IKEA.

"Stoppa alla pengarna i påsen"

I don't have a bag. ;)

(I don't speak Swedish, but I do have a Swedish friend! :D )

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
There is two swedes here, me and Robert.. but Robert has deserted to Canada.

Robert
June 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I get more gigs in Canada than in Sweden.

Hey, cool - see the ads show Swedish stuff. Go Sweden! Heja Sverige!

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I havent seen that Robert....

kerc
June 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM
There is two swedes here, me and Robert.. but Robert has deserted to Canada.

My buddy lives in Jonkoping...We've known each other though another forum for about three years...We chat every morning (for me!) on MSN...

:D

SuperSwede
June 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Cool.. I live 4 (metric) miles from there..

Iago
June 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Ninguem fala portugues aqui nao?

kerc
June 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Ninguem fala portugues aqui nao?

No, pero hablo perfecto español. :D So I can understand a bit of portuguese.!

blogan
June 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Ehay! Enwhay oday eway etgay otay eakspay Igpay Atinlay?

Tone2TheBone
June 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Iba amba anba adultba........

Love,
Mushmouth

Robert
June 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Okay, guys, seems like the '51 humbucker topic disappeared - sounds like you need to start a new thread!

kerc
June 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hahahah...Did I mention I really, really like the 51's humbucker? :D

blogan
June 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry, Robert. I'll reserve my Pig Latin for other topics. :o

I agree with kerc. The '51 humbucker does sound good, though I don't buy the idea that the paint color has anything to do with it.

It's interesting how when we have a fairly simple electric circuit with known tolerances (equals variations) in component values that people want to credit the paint color for the tone differences.

By the way, yesterday a red Porsche left the stoplight line much faster than my silver Honda CRV. Should I paint my CRV red?

Robert
June 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Paint it red for sure. I think it might help.

I rehearsed with a band last night, and my '51 bucker on the split coil setting sounded great, except for some hum. That split coil thing really works well I think. The neck pup gets a little to bassy for me rhythm work. Good for soloing though.

Justaguyin_nc
June 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I think a Rainbow Colored one would color the sound to much... but... ya know all joking aside about colors.. it may be that when they changed factories it was a certain color that went first..I dunno.. was just looking at reviews on Harmony and around the web and it seemed a certain color kept popping up as the one that got bad reviews.. I really enjoy the 51 I have.. a friend locally had to go thru about 5 51's at the local stores to find one that sounded like mine... turned out same color.. and the ones he disliked the other color (different plants at the time made?).. ummm colors aside... I don't think I will even change the pickguard anymore...not this week anyways.. I like the Pickups (both) and looks as is..