PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Headphones

just strum
July 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I need some recommendation for some cheap headphones. When I say cheap, I would prefer something under $20 or $30. All I'm looking for is something to put on when it's 1:00 in the morning and I'm still wide awake like I am right now. I had a set that came from a HoneyTone mini amp, but the right ear speaker just went out.

So, I simply need them for late night playing. They need no bells and whistles or to pick up every little sound - I would say "adequate" would be the best single word description.

Spudman
July 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Here's your baby. http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHHPM1000
They are so cheap why don't you get an extra pair for Sunvalley. He has a birthday coming up and really needs some headphones.

Ch0jin
July 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Sennheiser HD 201 are fantastic. Might be slightly over your budget, but well worth it.

+ very long cable for when your feeling "energetic"
+ high sensitivity so if you're using a pod or similar you'll get earbleeding volume
+ fully enclosed design so even when cranked, you wont bother ppl right next to you.
+ great sounding seems to capture all the extreme highs and lows (i've used them with a bass guitar too and no rattles or weird sounds)

I've only had the HD201's since January, but I've had another set (with boom mic) that I use for gaming that I've had for maybe 4 years and although they have been abused, they are still 100%

so a big phat +1 for Sennheiser cans

tot_Ou_tard
July 4th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yup, Ch0jin's right.

Here's a review of the Sennheiser HD 201's.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/under-40/sennheiser-hd-201.php

BTW, Headroom Headphones in Bozeman Montana

http://www.headphone.com/

Have an incredibly selection, great prices, fantastic service, & are very knowledgeable. I always think of them whenever anyone has a question about cans.

Here's a list of what they consider their 10 best headphones (each competing in a different category).

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/

Squireman131
July 4th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I apsolutely love SONY MDR-V150 im on my 2nd pair in two years so they are worth the 20 bucks. i get mine at a local wal mart

Rocket
July 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I'll second the Sony MDR-V150... I use mine every day. I got mine at Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4503923&type=product&id=1051806135345

wingsdad
July 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
+1 on Spudman's Behringer HPM1000 suggestion. I have 4 of these Behringers, a bit more at $25. They have 1/4" plugs you need to use them with most amp or mixers instead of an 1/8" that usually come with the adapter to convert them to 1/4". (Any time you apply an adapter, you run a risk of signal loss or inducting RF interference.)
Behringer HPS3000 (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6445&Category=Monitoring)

Also, +1 on the Sony's. I've got the MDR-V250's, same as the 150's but with a volume pot wheel & mono/stereo switch built in to the cable, otherwise I'd gotten the 150's. I got them at Best Buy years ago, I think they were $30. These have the 1/8" plug/adapter, so they're not as 'hi-fi' as the Behringers, but are more versatile and useful with portable stuff, like your Dano HoneyTone.

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
+1 on Spudman's Behringer HPM1000 suggestion. I have 4 of these Behringers, a bit more at $25. They have 1/4" plugs you need to use them with most amp or mixers instead of an 1/8" that usually come with the adapter to convert them to 1/4". (Any time you apply an adapter, you run a risk of signal loss or inducting RF interference.)
Behringer HPS3000 (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6445&Category=Monitoring)

If you order from 8th street they are $24.95 + $10.79 shipping.

If you order from Amazon (but are actually shipped from 8th Street they are $24.00 + $4.78 shipping - go figure.

Shipping cost just drives me nuts.

wingsdad
July 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
If you order from 8th street they are $24.95 + $10.79 shipping.

If you order from Amazon (but are actually shipped from 8th Street they are $24.00 + $4.78 shipping - go figure.

Well, that just sux. I got mine at my local GAS Station Behringer dealer 4 years ago. He still almost always has these in stock as his 1st recommendation to players looking for cans for their amp or recorder that won't break the bank. Of course, if you tried to find them at any store in your area that might carry them, you'd probably spend $5-$10 in gas (the other kind...petrol).

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Well, that just sux. I got mine at my local GAS Station Behringer dealer 4 years ago. He still almost always has these in stock as his 1st recommendation to players looking for cans for their amp or recorder that won't break the bank. Of course, if you tried to find them at any store in your area that might carry them, you'd probably spend $5-$10 in gas (the other kind...petrol).

I know you recommended these to my before (on more than one occasion), but every time I think about buying a pair I go and end up buying a guitar.

I think I may go with the Sony ($20) since Amazon offers free shipping once I hit $25. Maybe a pack of string, one of my favorite things.

they don't offer free shipping with the Behringer.

Also considering the ones Ch0jin recommended at $24.99 ($0.01 off free shipping).

wingsdad
July 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I think you can't go wrong with the Sony's, Strum....they do the job you need them for very well, and you'll be able to use them with anything you can use phones with, not limited by the Behringer's 1/4" plug.

I didn't notice a headphone jack on that hot & sweet new 'computer' you got from dvm..... guess that won't be your after-midnite amp?

tjcurtin1
July 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have 2 pair of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2272473&cp=2032057.2032187.2202780&pg=1&fbn=Connectivity%2FWired&searchSort=TRUE&f=PAD%2FConnectivity+Technology%2FWired&fbc=1&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=16&s=A-UnitRank-RSK&parentPage=family

tho mine are numbered differently (KTXPro35a) - but they look exactly the same... My wife uses them to listen to videos at night - actually, she likes them so much she uses them all the time if I'm not watching too. And I use mine for playing electric 'silently'. Good sound and good features: an in-line volume control, very lightweight and comfortable, non over the ear cups if you don't want/like that style - and, if there's a radioshack near you, no shipping!

Radius
July 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Another vote for Sennheiser here, I've got the HD-202s, and they're great. Totally worth listening to a whole album you really like with them too, you'll hear things you didn't before :)

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Another vote for Sennheiser here, I've got the HD-202s, and they're great. Totally worth listening to a whole album you really like with them too, you'll hear things you didn't before :)

That's the direction I'm leaning. It seems all the suggestions have good things to offer, but overall best deal seems to be the Sennheiser's.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Sometimes known to change direction, I kept searching for a deal. I was zeroing in on the HD-202, and Amazon has their certain items over $25.00 ship free. Well the HD-202 are $24.99 and I hate shipping. So I figure I'll throw in a pack of picks to take it over $25, but all those cheap items are not part of the free shipment policy.

Any I now have decided on the Sony MDR-V150 because of the recommendations here and good reviews elsewhere, plus I found them for $13.88 a pair. WalMart has them and although I hate WalMart (every weekend is the inbreeders family reunion) I have two within 4 miles - one real big store and one super colossal store.

I checked out every recommended headphone noted here and not a one was crap.

The only downside about the Sony, is the 6.5 ft cord, I would have preferred the 10 foot cable.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
While I was out this morning I picked up the Sony headphones. As always, nothing goes exactly right when dealing with WalMart. Advertised on the site for $13.88 and noted as available at stores. Go and buy a set and the price is $19.96. Since I wasn't buying them on-line, I didn't bother to click "store locater" had I done that I would have seen a note stating prices may differ at store.

Actually went to two WalMart's (first one didn't have them in stock) and I must report that it must be a In-breeders Jamboree Weekend because I never saw so many three eyed, four eared people in my life. Good thing it wasn't their annual Nude In-breeders Jamboree, no telling what I would have encountered then.

So I will do battle with WM to get the difference in price reimbursed, but from a performance standpoint it is a good purchase.

Ch0jin
July 21st, 2008, 02:07 AM

Hahaha, well that was good to know!

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM

You didn't mention that you wanted crap headphones.

We're gonna have to make other reccomendations then.