PDA

View Full Version : Flextone III XL

TS808
July 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
In my search for a good home amp that sounds decent at moderate volumes, I came across a used Flextone III XL on ebay that was in excellent condition that I was able to land for $280. Yes, only $280. The auction ended in the middle of the afternoon and for some reason there were only two bids....

Something is wrong with this picture right? A HOME amp at 150 watts???

I figured I'd give it a shot and if it was too loud, I could easily sell it and get my money back. I got the amp, cleaned off the dust, plugged it in and WHOA! I found this amp to be a good amp to play at a moderate volume. I can set the master to about 11:00 and the channel volumes to 11:00 and it's not overly loud. If I crank it more than that it can get blistering loud as I found out when I first plugged it in, since the previous owner's presets were still loaded in the amp...it almost knocked me on my rear-end.

So far, I'm loving this amp and don't understand why so many people knock Line 6 products or digital amps so much. I bought an FBV express foot controller, and have the twin reverb for cleans, AC-30 for crunch, JCM-800 for moderate distortion, and the Cornford for heavy distortion.

The "feel" of this amp is excellent and the tones are incredible...It sounds a little more dynamic than my Vox AD50VT 212 with more sustain, more effects, etc., and you can get good tones at low, moderate, and high volumes. I don't find the amp to be overly muddy as some people describe it, and it DOES take some tweaking to find the right tone for each amp model, but once you find it, the sounds are great. I'm sure the previous owner broke-in the speakers pretty good judging by the volume of his presets, and the noise gate is very good for the high gain settings.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this amp...the volume is very manageable unlike the Duoverb that I once owned...the Duoverb is MUCH louder and I couldn't get the master above 8:00 without peeling paint. This is definitely a keeper.

I keep hearing that these amps are being discontinued, and it's a shame..definitely a good value new or used, and the tones are very good.

Tim
July 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have been looking at the Flextone for a new amp. Tell me more!

Katastrophe
July 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
That's awesome TS808! I've been doing a bit of reading on these amphs, and am starting to cultivate a healthy amount of GAS for one myself.

Just might be the ticket for playing a 40 song country setlist...:bravo:

TS808
July 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm loving this amp so far. The versatility and the tones are all there, and for a digital amp, it does take pedals well. I put a TS-9 and a Boss OD-3 in front of it, and it does really well.

One of the pleasant surprises too is the cabinet simulator...on the JCM-800 model for example, I paired it with a different 4x12 cab, and it came alive even more. Like I said earlier, what I really like about this amp, for it being 100% digital, it has a really nice "feel" to it, as well as a nice low-end thump and some really sparkling cleans. The noise gate is really effective with the higher gain amp settings.

I A/B'd the amp next to my Bluesbreaker clone using the JTM 45 model, and it does come surprisingly close...it really mimics the "woody" sound from the all tube amp, and has that low end and deeper midrange.

It has a bit more low end than my Vox AD50VT 212, and seems to also sustain a bit more. I compared the AC-30 settings on the Flex III to the AC-30 settings on the Vox, and they are very similar...the Vox is a little bit Chimier, but surprisingly, has more of a digital sound to it than the Line 6. Go figure...the Vox has the tube in the power amp section.

Definitely a cool amp and worth a look....The Flex is great at bedroom volumes and it does sound even better at loud volumes (which I rarely get to do).

I'm in the process of trying to set up a "studio" in my basement, so hopefully I can get some soundclips up in the near future.

Plank_Spanker
July 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Congrats on the amp, TS. Line 6 gets bagged on regularly by the purists, but the Line 6 gear I've played (Vetta, Flex) sounded pretty darn good.

Enjoy! :D

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Congrats on the amp, TS. Line 6 gets bagged on regularly by the purists, but the Line 6 gear I've played (Vetta, Flex) sounded pretty darn good.

Enjoy! :D
I agree with you, and I don't understand why people knock modeling amps in general. The comparisons between a digital amp and tube amp are senseless, considering they are both different animals so to speak. The idea of a digital amp is to "emulate" the characteristics and tone of a tube amp...of course it's not going to nail it 100%. What matters to me is whether or not the amp produces some good tones. I don't care if it's digital, tube, or run by a hamster on a wheel. :D If it sounds good, that is what matters most.