PDA

View Full Version : Too many cars, not enough guitars

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 04:39 PM
With all the cars we have I find myself doing the little things that are just your standard maintenance. Today my daughter announces something is grinding when she hits the breaks.

Well, I have to replace her rear brakes. If they were disc brakes, no big deal - quick job.

However, these are shoe and drum brakes and I haven't done a shoe and drum replacement since high school. I remember I hated doing them and I remember bloody knuckles.

So tomorrow is brake day - that sucks.

this is taking away from guitar day, which should be everyday.

warren0728
July 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
However, these are shoe and drum brakes and I haven't done a shoe and drum replacement since high school. I remember I hated doing them and I remember bloody knuckles.
hint....only take apart one wheel at a time....that way you can look at the fully assembled one for reference.... :beer:

ww

PAPPY
July 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Another hint, wear a good pair of leather gloves to protect the knuckles and I have a pair of those special spring pliers to remove that big spring at the bottom of the brake shoes, I'll loan them to you if you will come get them. Take your time and protect those knuckles, it's hard to play guitar with skinned, swollen knuckles.

sumitomo
July 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hey there Pappy Its not too hard playing with busted knuckles,Ive been doing the busted knuckle for over 35 yrs now everyday its having to wash my hands 20+ times a day that softens up my playing finger tips that bugs me.Warren has some good advice there for ya one side at a time.Sumi:D

markb
July 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
For most of my life the guitar rig I'm transporting has been worth more than the car it's traveling in :)

Good luck with the brakes and be careful of those hands.

just strum
July 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Took the wheels off, stared at the brake system, saw lots of springs, put the wheels back on. I'll go get parts in the morning. Took the time to fix the A/C on my daughter car. Fortunately it ended up being a low cost fix (so far). Recharged the A/C, but no compressor engagement. Took all the wiring off, cleaned it, and tapped the housing to free up any stuck parts or dirt. Started up the car and cold air.

As usual, I received three cuts while working in the garage. No clue how they happened, but they are in three different locations and happened at different times. Taking blood thinners made my garage look like a set for Friday the 13th.

just strum
July 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Okay, job complete. New shoes and drums, new clips and springs - hands are bloody and there is grease embedded in my finger print grooves.

And it's been 30+ years since I did shoes and drums, but I did a nice job.