PDA

View Full Version : Effects loops.

tot_Ou_tard
July 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
The H&K Tube Edition that I just ordered has a serial effects loop.

I've never had am amph with one before.

Can one inject a preamp into the return (leaving the send disconnected) thus bypassing the internal preamp?

What types of effects does one put into the loop. I'd assume modulation & EQ.

sumitomo
July 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I'm interested in this also and do not really understand what an effects loop is and does?I mean I have an idea but I would rather throw my idea out and get a complete understanding so thank for asking this Tot I'll be watching the answers.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
July 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Fearless exposure of a thorough lack of understanding & knowledge: it's my special gift ;).

t_ross33
July 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Yes, you can plug a preamped signal into the "return" and leave the send open. Some modelers sound best this way. With this little H&K (I'm extremely jealous by the way :D) I wouldn't take the amp's preamp circuit out of the signal path because it has so much character. :dude: I'd be inclined to play that amp commando :bootyshake:

Yes, modulation effects like chorus, flange, phasers, delays and reverbs tend to sound best after the preamp section, so they would go in the FX loop. EQs work good there too for fine tuning.

If you want to use a modelling pedal like an RP or Zoom, I'd turn off the amp modelling and use it for multiFX only - in the FX loop. OD or distortion I would put in front of the amps input, or just crank it up and use the amp's own flavor.

sunvalleylaw
July 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
With this little H&K (I'm extremely jealous by the way :D). . . I'd be inclined to play that amp commando :bootyshake:

I am jealous too. And Geoff, who demonstrates the Statesman EL84 Quad in the link above says "Guitar > Cable > Amp" is all you need. Commando is in these amphs vocabulary I would think.

t_ross33
July 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm interested in this also and do not really understand what an effects loop is and does?I mean I have an idea but I would rather throw my idea out and get a complete understanding so thank for asking this Tot I'll be watching the answers.Sumi:D

Think of your signal path in linear terms, like a train track. Your awesome tone departs the station (your guitar) and travels down the track towards it's destination (the amp's speaker). Sometimes you have to take on more freight along the way. An FX loop is just a detour on a side track to pick up some modulation or other effects before returning to the main line and continuing on to it's destination.

:AOK:

TS808
July 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
When I had my H&K I used to put my BBE Sonic Stomp in the loop. I still don't quite understand what those pedals do, but they sound great in the loops of tube amps and modelers.

tot_Ou_tard
July 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the great info Ted!.

When I had my H&K I used to put my BBE Sonic Stomp in the loop. I still don't quite understand what those pedals do, but they sound great in the loops of tube amps and modelers.

From what I have heard they adjust the relative phase between the bass and the treble because apparently guitar speakers cause phase differentials.
The Sonic Stomp is supposed to counteract this tendancy.

:bravo: I can use big words without understanding them as easily as anyone else. :bravo:

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I can use big words without understanding them as easily as anyone else.
sig material right there folks! :beer: :rotflmao:

sumitomo
July 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Wow thanks for splanin' that I always thought if I did not have things plugged in just so something would blow up.Thanks again Sumi:D