PDA

View Full Version : Finally..first take from the Metal CD

Jimi75
July 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Folks,

It's been a 10 month search for a singer, auditioning quite a bunch of people. Some were good, but they didn't fit characterwise and then last friday we found the guy who fits and who's got the "balls" to lay down the vocals and lead the band on stage.

The entire CD is instrumentally recorded already.
We started now laying out the vocal lines and melodies. Hard work. This is a rough rough rough take, our singer was little nervous and at some points a little flat, but we think in 4-6 months the CD is ready and the he will sing just perfectly for the band.

Monday we will meet our producer and from there on we will see what's gonna happen.

Would like to hear if you like it, also if you are not into Metal...

http://www.box.net/shared/fhoi80944w

Thanks for your feedback.

Jimi75

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
truthfully i'm not really a metal fan....but....the singer seems to have good voice control with quite a vocal range....i felt the lead guitar got lost in the mix a few times....just my 2 (play at home only, hack) two cents!

ww

Katastrophe
July 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
RAWK! What did you use to get your tones? Brutal, man!

Incidentally, my daughter started headbanging as soon as she heard the opening notes.

This is what good metal is all about. Variety in vocals, time changes, shredilicious guitars, speed and aggression, but with a sense of melody.

I'd buy this track as is - your singer has nothing to worry about!:rockon: :dude:

333maxwell
July 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hey Folks,

It's been a 10 month search for a singer, auditioning quite a bunch of people. Some were good, but they didn't fit characterwise and then last friday we found the guy who fits and who's got the "balls" to lay down the vocals and lead the band on stage.

The entire CD is instrumentally recorded already.
We started now laying out the vocal lines and melodies. Hard work. This is a rough rough rough take, our singer was little nervous and at some points a little flat, but we think in 4-6 months the CD is ready and the he will sing just perfectly for the band.

Monday we will meet our producer and from there on we will see what's gonna happen.

Would like to hear if you like it, also if you are not into Metal...

http://www.box.net/shared/fhoi80944w

Thanks for your feedback.

Jimi75It's wonderful..

A bit over produced at times.. and I mean that in a loving way.. it just seems it should be a bit more 'raw' ...

If that makes any sense..

Great recording!

Ch0jin
July 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Loved it!!!!!!

If I was being really super picky I'd maybe say the vocals stand out from the mix a bit too far, but that could be just a case of me wanting to hear the guitars ;)

Jimi75
July 6th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Loved it!!!!!!

If I was being really super picky I'd maybe say the vocals stand out from the mix a bit too far, but that could be just a case of me wanting to hear the guitars ;)

Thank you so much for your nice comments!
The vocals are so much in front because the material isn't mastered nor mixed.

As the vocalist is new, we made the vocals louder to be able to get used to the vocals faster and to have a better basis to work on them for the final productoin and mastering.

Greetz
Jimi

:rockon:

Ch0jin
July 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hi Jimi,
I suspected that might be the case, but I wanted to be as honest as possible in my feedback :) Even so, it still sounds killer :)

Oh and I forgot to mention before, I really like the combination of vocal styles. I'm probably not explaining it well, but the mix of hardcore style and death style if u know what I mean. (haha even if u dont just keep doing what u guys are doing :) )

I gotta say, I didn't figure you for a metal fan after your comment that the sound on my fuzz demo was uncivilized, but I stand seriously corrected :)

Vihar
July 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Jimi, I can't honestly say that metal is my favourite genre, but it sounded good and well performed. Especially knowing that it hasn't been mastered or even mixed! I really liked the mellower, melodic parts. The solo is great! Thanks for posting it.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I like the instrumental guitar quite a bit, even though I am not much of a fan of this kind of metal. As the others said, the varieties in the music and melody was really nice. I have trouble enjoying this style of vocals, but he seems to have talent in delivering them, and it will sound good when he is mixed and mastered in with the rest of the guys. Really, really nice work.

marnold
July 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I liked it a lot too, even the brief moments of Cookie Monster. I think a real mix will help it quite a bit for the balance that was mentioned and to make the guitars a bit more (to quote Nathan Explosion) brutal.

I'm Rev. Rawk, and I approved this recording.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I liked it a lot too, even the brief moments of Cookie Monster.

LOL!!!!! :rotflmao: I have never heard that expression, and will undoubtedly chuckle to myself when I hear that style of vocal from now on.

That style vocal is not what I am into much, but it seems well done here, esp. because the guy is so versatile and mixes it up so much.

helliott
July 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'd qualify as not into metal, but say this:

The dude can really sing. Flat out.

The recording quality is really good.

The solo smokes.

The double time riffage at the end rocks hard.

Jimi, you are one diverse musician dude, and that's very cool. Rock on!:rockon: :dude:

Robert
July 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Sounds awesome! Wicked solo, Jimi! How did you record the guitars?

SuperSwede
July 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Whoa! Nice track Jimi!

I love your guitar on this one :)

hubberjub
July 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Sounds great man. The only constructive criticism I can make is that recording agressive vocals is much easier if you run the mic into a hardware compressor (not plugin) before it hits the recording interface. Set it as low as possible. That will keep the vocals from peaking when he gets going and save a potentially great track. That's just my opinion as a do it yourself recorder. Good luck to you guys.

luvmyshiner
July 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Jimi, like many of the others, it's not really my style. Having said that, I mean this next comment to be a compliment. My son is very much into that style, and your song is as good if not better than most of the crap he listens to.:poke:

Ch0jin
July 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Jimi, like many of the others, it's not really my style. Having said that, I mean this next comment to be a compliment. My son is very much into that style, and your song is as good if not better than most of the crap he listens to.:poke:

Haha, I sooooooo bet thats what your father said about you at some point...

Jimi75
July 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Wow! I am a little bit overwhelmed by your comments! Also most here of you are not into Metal it makes me happy to see that you give me an objective feedback.

As I said, this is a proforma recording. The final result will sound like a good CD you buy in a cd store.

We recorded everything with Logic, but that is the technical part. My bandmates have more stuff going for the recording like preamps, compressors, Mindprints and a huge mixing board from Yamaha.

The guitar sound is recorded with two "amps" at the same time. A lower distorted sound of the JCM 800 Model of the Line6 PoD XT Professional and higher distorted sound with the Rectifier Model of the Line6 Flextone II Head. Bith sounds have been connected through a Lehle A/B Buffer Switcher and the solos were recorded with the same set up, but only with an Ibanez TS9 in front - only clean boost. We used a Demeter 1x12 recording box for all guitars.

All rhythms were played with my ESP Eclipse I, all Solos with my ESP Mirage DLX, for this track the low E String was dropped to C#, the guitar is generally tuned a half step below E.

Greetz
Jimi

Ch0jin
July 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for that last post Jimi.
I do love to read about all the work that goes into getting a good track down.

thearabianmage
July 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm Rev. Rawk, and I approved this recording.

I'm not Rev. Rawk, but I do agree! I can't say much that hasn't already been said, but I will say this:

Keep rockin' it!

warren0728
July 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
+1....my son will be here tomorrow and he will love it! :rockon:

ww

FrankAxtell
July 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM
This stuff is Rockin' hard...great job!:bravo: