PDA

View Full Version : Kicked the Studio up a notch!

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I installed Suhr "Doug Aldrich" humbuckers in my Studio to replace the stock 498T / 490R combo, which were starting to sound rather harsh to my ears. I'll reluctantly admit that my Studio now sounds better than my Standard. I left the Standard at home for Thursday's gig and took the Studio.

It was great to get the old soldier out again and make some music - it sounded amazing in the mix. I'm seriously considering dropping an Aldrich set in my Standard - they are that good.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1301.jpg

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
very cool....what about the aldrich hb's don you like better?....smoother, warmer, etc...

ww

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
very cool....what about the aldrich hb's don you like better?....smoother, warmer, etc...

ww

The Aldrich's have a great midrange voice. You can roll up full volume on a driven amp and get a great distorted howl thats full and rich without being too boomy on the bass or shrill with the highs. You can also roll in full volume on a clean amp and they will play clean. They let the amp do the work and they bring out the natural sound of the guitar.

They have a nice, open voice - not overly compressed or colored. My LP now sits great in the mix.

Worth every penny.............................:D

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
nice description plank....sounds like a great choice! :AOK:

ww

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks, Warren. The guitar just sings now, and I'm a happy camper. :D

warren0728
July 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Warren. The guitar just sings now, and I'm a happy camper. :D
i think we need some clips!! :greenguitar:

ww

street music
July 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Plank, that is a beauty of a guitar and I'm sure it sounds it too.

Algonquin
July 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Glad you got what you were looking for Plank. A wise man once told me, 'Buying pickups is a tremendous leap of faith'

Nice to see your Studio getting in on the action.
Cheers :beer: