PDA

View Full Version : Strum - Hurricane season

Rocket
July 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
If it looks like Sebastian is in a projected hurricane path, we're headed for Cedar Point... get your guest room ready Strum.

street music
July 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Rocket hope you don't get hit down there. These storms are getting very dangerous and I really am glad to be inland.

evenkeel
July 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Tis the season Rocket. Bertha is still 2,700 statue miles away (2,350 nautical miles) so not to worry yet.

FWIW we subscribe to a private, e-mail based weather forecasting service. Left over from our liveaboard days. Typically this guy is ahead of the NOAA models. If we get word anything bad is Florida bound we'll let you know.

sumitomo
July 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yea those puppys are mean I always liked CentralAmerica and wanted to move there (retirement)until I went to Honduras after Mitch WOW!!!! I was just blown away at the damage wind and water can do I have a great respect for them now.Sumi:D

just strum
July 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So Rocket, when do you think you will be at Cedar Point?

Rocket
July 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM
We bailed to Michigan for the first one (Frances) in 2004 and our house was spared... not even a window broken. We stayed for the second (Jeane) and everything was damaged. It was personally terrifying for me... and I was a combat medic in Nam & rode submarines for 20 years following that.
We (I) vowed to, never again, sit through another hurricane.

just strum
July 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM
We bailed to Michigan for the first one (Frances) in 2004 and our house was spared... not even a window broken. We stayed for the second (Jeane) and everything was damaged. It was personally terrifying for me... and I was a combat medic in Nam & rode submarines for 20 years following that.
We (I) vowed to, never again, sit through another hurricane.

I certainly can't blame you for that. I've been in a tornado (safely under a bridge) and was at a gas station when a windshear hit. The windshear was actually more terrifying since I was out in the open and oil cans, signs and everything short of a cow was flying by. I was also in a winter storm that ripped the roof off the top of our apartment building and knocked out all the windows. All my experience has been with things that last seconds to a couple of minutes. Hurricane, I would high tail ars in a blink of an eye.

evenkeel
July 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I certainly can't blame you for that. I've been in a tornado (safely under a bridge) and was at a gas station when a windshear hit. The windshear was actually more terrifying since I was out in the open and oil cans, signs and everything short of a cow was flying by. I was also in a winter storm that ripped the roof off the top of our apartment building and knocked out all the windows. All my experience has been with things that last seconds to a couple of minutes. Hurricane, I would high tail ars in a blink of an eye.

In our cruising life we sat thru the remnants of three hurricanes. Each time we came thru fine. Had plenty of warning, got the boat well secured, no damage. The last one was Isabel right here in Annapolis. Just a month ago we watched a windshear go thru a fair grounds near Washington, DC. This wind event picked up a 100X150 foot tent, with 30-40 foot poles that weigh near 500 pounds each and flung it a good 100 yards. The most vivid memory was watching a large wooden ladder get tossed over a light pole. It landed on the other side of the road. Probably a good 1/4 mile toss.

just strum
July 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
The only advantage of a hurricane over tornado and windshear - warning time. Being in the middle of the windshear was like being on the wrong end of a shooting gallery - not fun.

Rocket
July 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evenkeel will appreciate this one:
In 1982, while stationed in Hawaii I slept through hurricane Eva drunk on the deck of my 21ft micro-cuddy of a daysailor tied at the navy marina at Ewa Beach. Although Oahu didn't bear the brunt... still pretty stupid.
Ahhh... to be young and immortal again!

Rocket
July 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The only advantage of a hurricane over tornado and windshear - warning time. Being in the middle of the windshear was like being on the wrong end of a shooting gallery - not fun.
Yup.
Disadvantage... tornado gets 10 second to do damage to you... hurricane gets 10-hours (or more).

Childbride
July 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
i've only had two experiences with hurricanes...
[one after the fact. ]

before law school, i was a corporate trainer for a now-defunct big box hardware chain, and was sent in post-andrew to kendall/homestead. the curfew/restrictions were still on. i remember driving into the aftermath mile by mile and increasingly getting chills/shivers. huge street signs sticking out of the 20th story of an office building. trees sheared off inches from the ground. i literally had trouble processing what i was seeing.

my only actual 'near' encounter was [i think this is right] late september, 1998. georges?

my ex-father-in-law had a rather expensive boat that was docked in mobile, and we were trying to outrun the storm back up the river to dock it further inland.

what i saw hard on our heels scared me witless.

evenkeel
July 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evenkeel will appreciate this one:
In 1982, while stationed in Hawaii I slept through hurricane Eva drunk on the deck of my 21ft micro-cuddy of a daysailor tied at the navy marina at Ewa Beach. Although Oahu didn't bear the brunt... still pretty stupid.
Ahhh... to be young and immortal again!

Yikes!!!!

Amazing you could sleep. Even if the boat was sitting well secured and not bouncing around to much the noise level is ungodly. For Isabel we got off the boat. The other times we stayed aboard. Motion on the boat was fine but the noise.... Not a minute of sleep.

marnold
July 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
In honor of this thread, I present:
Obfci1CIqq8

and, more my speed:
AoyItLbnfwQ

Rocket
July 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yikes!!!!

Amazing you could sleep. Even if the boat was sitting well secured and not bouncing around to much the noise level is ungodly. For Isabel we got off the boat. The other times we stayed aboard. Motion on the boat was fine but the noise.... Not a minute of sleep.
Note the "drunk on the deck" reference!

Submarine is the way to avoid hurricanes. I've done that a few times... just keep diving till all is calm.