PDA

View Full Version : Please protect your ears..

Blaze
July 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I v got this Tinnitus problem for several months now by doing studio gigs and concerts.I guess i didn t protect myself enough thru the years , so i m beging you guys , be careful with your music level and don t be shy to put ear plugs at the proper time..These tinnitus are drivin me crazy slowly ,don t let it get you..

Blazes

oldguy
July 7th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Very good advice, esp. for younger players who like everything cranked to the max (as I did once). I myself have some noticeable tinnitus, more apparent when I sit in a quiet room.
Blazes, have you seen a doctor about this? The reason I ask is other factors can add to the problem. I found caffeine will actually make it worse for me, thus I cut out caffeine, except for my morning coffee.

Dauntless
July 7th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Too late for me...mine comes from flight lines, motorcycles, music and 2 ex wives!!
:beavisnbutthead:

Blaze
July 7th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Too late for me...mine comes from flight lines, motorcycles, music and 2 ex wives!!
:beavisnbutthead:

'' 2 ex wives '' , Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Good one , you v made my day..

Blazes
:dude:

Jimi75
July 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I never rehearse or go to a concert without my plugs. It was a condition when I started making music, otherwise my father would have not bought me my first guitar.

I got casted plugs that are matched with my ear. The form is called Concha, so that when I sing and my jaw moves they do not open up.

The plugs got a specialized filter system so that I hear the sound just more quiet and not cut in any frequenzies.

just strum
July 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I never rehearse or go to a concert without my plugs. It was a condition when I started making music, otherwise my father would have not bought me my first guitar.

I got casted plugs that are matched with my ear. The form is called Concha, so that when I sing and my jaw moves they do not open up.

The plugs got a specialized filter system so that I hear the sound just more quiet and not cut in any frequenzies.

Where do you find those?

sumitomo
July 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I use to use cig butts,but I quit smokin' a little over a year ago and with all these people quitting they are getting harder to find,so now I pack one of the old ladies tampoons in my guitar case and break off bits of that to use,I'm talkin' new of course.Sumi:D :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
July 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You'd probably be completely deaf by now if you hadn't divorced 'em!! :eek: ;)

Seriously, good advice here, especially for our younger players. :AOK:

just strum
July 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
There are a couple people that are here that warned me some time ago and just paint idiot across my forehead. I never hear of Tinnitus, but have been experiencing a swishing sound and find myself off balance. It is especially noticeable when I turn my head or look up and down. I was relating it to something different, but going to schedule a trip to the doc. It could still be something unrelated, we'll see.

I will have to get a hearing ear dog to adjust my amp, or maybe a monkey.

The words of advice came from Rocket, Wingsdad, and Mudcat - you should have spoke louder, I couldn't hear you.

Childbride
July 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
tinnitus can also be hereditary. my dad suffered from it, my uncle suffers from it, gram suffers from it, as do i when she is around... the tv is so loud, i think i'm at a live concert.

i was careless with my ears in hs, but have been very careful since.

she basically explains the experience as a constant ringing in her ears. if you talk directly to her in a room, with only two people talking at once, she can hear you. i think she's partially developed the ability to read lips.

in a room where several people are talking, she misses everything.

scares me.

pes_laul
July 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
ok either I need to pay more attention in school or haven't tooken that class but what is tinnitus?

Katastrophe
July 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Tinnitus is a condition with your hearing where you suffer permanent damage, hearing loss and constant ringing in your ears. We guitarists are very prone to it, because by most of our natures we like loud music, and playing loudly as well. Ever heard, "Boy, that 100 watt Marshall doesn't sound good unless it's cranked!"

I've suffered some hearing damage on my left side from too many high volume practice sessions and attending shows where the PA was so loud that it caused me pain.

I used to work a side job as security at a Tejano bar in my area, and they had this massive PA setup for a teeny little club that would hold maybe 75 people, tops. The soundguy would turn up the volume so loud that individual sounds were no longer discernable, just a deafening roar, and you couldn't hear yourself shouting. I wore plugs everytime I walked in the door.

Blazes, man, I hope this all gets better for you. Paul Gilbert has hearing damage to the point that he wears isolation headphones, maybe that could help?

Dauntless
July 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I've got a friend of mine, that figured out that he had Tinnitus when he was out hunting and was hearing the crickets. Not a problem right?

It was the middle of winter!!

Kazz
July 11th, 2008, 04:52 AM
The thought of someone stuffing cigarette butts in their ears is making me nauseous.....then on top of that the thought of feminine hygiene products in the ear canal is even more wrong.

Rocket
July 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Tinnitus is a condition with your hearing where you suffer permanent damage, hearing loss and constant ringing in your ears.
Huh?... (SOMEBODY ANSWER THAT DAMNED PHONE!!)

pes_laul
July 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
huh maybe it's a good thing my mom is always yelling at me to turn it down?

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM
huh maybe it's a good thing my mom is always yelling at me to turn it down?
unless of course she is yelling so loud she is damaging your ears! :rotflmao:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
July 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Where do you find those?
Here is something similar:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

& a cheaper non-custom molded alternative:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have no clue what my problem is, but I hear what sounds like two pieces of cardboard rubbing together or swishing.

The other night I was in the guitar room and I crawled under the desk because I kept hearing a scratching noise. My wife walks in and asks me what I am doing, I explain I'm trying to find where the scratching noise is coming from. It's not constant, but it's frequent. So she can't hear it and then I'm on top of the desk because I thought it was in the ceiling (maybe a squirrel or bird in the attic). Then yesterday I realized the squirrel was following me to work.

Steve206
July 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Strum,

You still wearing corduroy pants?

Steve

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Strum,

You still wearing corduroy pants?

Steve
now that's funny....i don't care who you are! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ww

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have really bad hearing. My wife is pissed I don't get a hearing aid. What? Hearing aid? I don't want no stinkin' hearing aid! What's that you said?

BluezOldy
July 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I've got tinnitus and it drives me nuts sometimes especially at night in the quiet of my bedroom.

Anyway, hopefully to stop it getting worse I use these:

http://hearos.com/earplugs/musician-ear-plugs.html

I like the Hi-Fidelity ones.

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I use Hearos too, just the cheaper ones. Is there a big difference between those and the high fidelity ones? Tell me more.

BluezOldy
July 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I use Hearos too, just the cheaper ones. Is there a big difference between those and the high fidelity ones? Tell me more.

I don't know, Robert. I used to use the soft rubber ones. It's just that the hi fi ones looked more as though 'they would do the job'. Also the specs on the back of the pack showing the range of sound they protect from and let through won me.

I hope that makes a little sense.

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have the foam ones and also the rubber ones. They do the job if you remember to put them in your ears.

The foam ones I get from work and the rubber ones were samples/promo that my wife got from where she works.

After a couple of days of swishing (still happening) I will not go without plugs again.

btw - I think this swishing could eventually drive someone insane.

thearabianmage
July 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
This is excellent advice. I get a ringin' in my ears every now and again and the thought of it being tinnitus just freaks me out. I'm looking up a pair of earphones right now. . .

Thanks y'all for the tip, and I'm sorry to all who suffer from it.

BluezOldy
July 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
One more thing (it may have been mentioned above but I'm just on my way out):

a lot of musos (and other people in noisy environments) have earplugs custom-made to fit at audiologists (I believe that's a US term, not sure what they're called elsewhere).

I don't know anymore about that as the cost is out of my budget range.

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
This is excellent advice. I get a ringin' in my ears every now and again and the thought of it being tinnitus just freaks me out. I'm looking up a pair of earphones right now. . .

Thanks y'all for the tip, and I'm sorry to all who suffer from it.

I forgot I have these also and I find they do a good job and they are inexpensive.

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I forgot I have these also and I find they do a good job and they are inexpensive.

These "look" similar to the high fidelity Hearos. I wonder how they compare. I don't play at home loud enough to need them much, but I guess when I play out, or as I start to jam more. There is this one basement jam session including a drummer where when I attend again I am sure I should wear them. Rocking out to the stereo in the car is another place I should watch. It is funny, I could just turn it down, but I like to feel it a little. :rockon:

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
...There is this one basement jam session including a drummer where when I attend again I am sure I should wear them...

good point, those drummers can talk your ear off.:D

Rocket
July 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
...I could just turn it down, but I like to feel it a little.
Uh-huh... that is the thing, isn't it?
Same with performing in noise-restricted venues... feels cold, sounds bland, and difficult to meld & merge without that "pulse".

just strum
April 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.php#question