PDA

View Full Version : Fender Standard MIM Strat and strings

F4DPhantomII
July 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Picking up my Guitar Center layaway this friday.Post on June 1st says it all:

It was nearly new slightly used Fender Standard Strat in Vintage White or Artic white that was traded in.I put it on layaway.Price was $249.99 with hard case.I can hardly wait to get it out of layaway.I have a Vox AD30VT XL coming to play it through.Just starting out and have a Johnson Strat copy and a Washburn Oscar Schmidt OE30.So this will my 1st brand name guitar.Always wanted a Fender!

Anyway I need to get some new strings.What size Super Bullets do you recommend? I'd like to stick with Fender strings but what others do you recommend? Thanks.:AOK:

Spudman
July 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Killer deal on the guitar. :AOK:

I'd try some Ernie Ball Slinky's some time and 10-46 give you a bigger more even sound than 9's will.

Ch0jin
July 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Agree with spudman 100%

Ernie Ball slinkies 10-46

TS808
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Try whatever feels right for you, whether it's 9's or 10's. I use DR Tite Fit strings, and have found those to be the most "flexible" that I've used thus far. They don't seem to have as much tension as some other strings that I've used.

I think though that the most important part is what feels right and sounds right to YOU. I remember when I was younger having guitar teachers telling me to play brand X and that I HAD to play 10's....at that time though, 10's felt too stiff so my playing was what suffered. Whatever works for you is the best choice.

M29
July 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I had the chance to see F4D Phantom II's Strat and it is very nice. To show it to me, he made the salesman take it out of the back room of GC, it was on the top shelf way in the back of the store, the salesman had to get a huge ladder with a safety harness because it was so high up and that just got him up to the 4th level below where the guitar was stored. I won't go on about how the guy fell three levels when his foot slipped off the ladder and landed a brand new Gibson Birdland....well I won't say anymore cause it is all bull..... Oh yeah and to top it off the case he got was a genuine Fender case to boot:bravo:

I use Ernie Ball 10-46 regular slinkies and find them comfortable but then again I have not been playing all that long and have not taken the time to try out other brands.

Can't wait to play that Strat pal...

M29

t_ross33
July 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Try Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. Kinda like 9's on the top end and 10s on the bottom. Good compromise IMHO.

Katastrophe
July 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I recently moved down from 10s to 9s on my MIM Strat. I use D'Addarios, and I like them.

I've used the following before with good results:

Dean Markley Blue Steels (Used these for years with good results)
Ernie Ball
GHS Nickel Rockers
GHS Boomers
Fender Bullets (came with the guitar, and not bad IMO)

And about 4 or 5 different "off brands" that I can't recall. All of the brands will do the job. I like the D'Addarios because they last a while, have decent tone, and don't break on me when I least expect it.

F4DPhantomII
July 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the replys I'll give the Ernie Ball Slinkys a try.M29 you are crazy telling a fabrication like that but it was funny.

ZMAN
July 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
You might want to try the D'Addario 9.5 set. They are an in between 9 and 10 set. I like the D'Addarios over the Fender strings because even with a complete wipedown after playing I find the Fenders corrode easily. I do not find that with the D'Addarios. The sustain is very good, and I actually have them on all of my guitars including the Gibsons.

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
D'Addario 10s for me on my MIM's.

I was just bragging about what a great deal used MIM's are...I mean $250? Its a steal!!! Especially with the Fender hardshell!!!

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ditto on the D'Addario 10's on my MIM 60th.

warren0728
July 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
D'Addario 10s for me on my MIM's.
+1 :AOK: :pancake:

they're my go to strings for most of my guitars (except the acoustic and the resonator)

ww

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM

they're my go to strings for most of my guitars (except the acoustic and the resonator)

ww

They sound great, bend easy, last a long time, theyre dirt cheap, I like the lil sealed bags they come in to prevent corrosion AND you get points for buyin them that you can save up and get free schwag! Whats not to like???

I was using Elixers for awhile there cause I almost never break strings(Im doin it wrong, not playing enough, right???)...but the tone faded long before they tarnished, they cost almost twice as much...and I kinda like changing strings more often than those are worth. Beside, Gore Tex products have always been gimmicky and over hyped.

Kazz
July 11th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I just love the colored balls on the Dadd strings LOL....specially the purple one :-)

I have only used Dadds on the acoustics so far, but after the herd thinning is over and we see what is left, I may go with some for whatever Electric is left standing.

Hopefully the sale will go well and I can go out and get a new one of thesehttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/1/3/274113.jpg

F4DPhantomII
July 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Picked the Fender up friday and a set of Ernie Ball hybrid Slinky strings 9-46.

F4DPhantomII
July 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
will get photo up soon

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM

ww

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Actually I don't think the brand makes all that much of a difference, but that just my $0.02