PDA

View Full Version : Tried my Digitech EX-7 today

Robert
July 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
For the first time. Interesting sounds. I only played it for 20 minutes at lunch. The wah simulations are quite good, but the sweep isn't to my liking by default. I can change it, but it seems the pedal is designed to have all knobs at 12 o'clock, if a person wants to switch between the different models and have them all usable. It's hard to use the wah with such a short default sweep range.

I think my Arion chorus sounds better than the univibe. The distortion sounds aren't impressing me much either so far.

The Flanger is really good sounding, but I have no use for such sounds.

The best of it all is the Space Station sound. Wow! Unearthly cool. I might just use the pedal only for this one effect. :dude:

I'll of course make a video demo of this baby one day. Fun toy!

Oh, and another thing that sucks - I can't use my usual 1-Spot adapter, I have to use the adapter that comes with it. That's a bummer for me.

Spudman
July 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Just keep playing with the knobs. There is a lot to explore.

What's up with the wah travel? I've got 3 Cry Babys and the difference between the EX and them is negligible to me. I was critical in the beginning of it but have gotten used to just how the pedal is and now I have no (almost) complaints. Give it some time and you are going to love it.

Tone2TheBone
July 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The Crybaby simulation has the most sweep. I think you'd like the Whammy too. I have my knobs all set at just past noon...like a half a notch past noon...not quite 1:00...more like 12:30 and it seems to make all the other effects sound good. Especially the Vibe and Leslie. The distortions are "ok" for me too. What I'm not crazy about is how much difference in overall sound (not so much tone) you get using the "tone" ring. It seems to really accentuate treble frequencies even when you turn it down. It moves the tonal spectrum around in a funky way. I don't use the distortions so it's no biggie. Yeah give it some time and you'll like it more. Experiment using it with your other pedals. I still like it before the fuzz though. Leave it out of any noise reduction circuits.

Robert
July 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I don't use any noise reduction circuits anyways - that's for sissies or for people who don't have noiseless pickups. ( ;) )
The wah travel is way different on my Fulltone, that's what I'm used to. It has a huge travel compared to this. I am having fun with it anyway.

Thanks for the tip Tone - I'll try that 12:30 setting and see what gives.

marnold
July 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You might want to calibrate the pedal (following the instructions towards the end of the mini-booklet) too, just to see if that's an issue. I didn't mess with that when I tested it in the store.

WRT the distortion models, I use the Big Muff one most frequently. I've also been known to use the Boss Metal Zone and ProCo Rat models. As far as the overdrives go, I like the sound of my Behringer better for some reason. I originally thought that the Big Muff model didn't adjust very much, but then I played a real one and realized that the same thing was true of it.

My only complaint with it is that there's no dive bomb setting on the Whammy model, even though the description of the model refers to dive bombs. Now that I have a Floyd-equipped guitar, that's moot.

The Space Station model is very cool. You can make your guitar make noises you never imagined possible. While I don't use it very frequently, it seems to be good for getting me out of ruts in my playing.

Justaguyin_nc
July 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Space Station - Way Way Cool! :master:

Big Muffy - tant bad! :master:

Tube Screamer - tis nice:master:

Cry Baby - I sold my fasel couldnt tell the difference :master:

all knobs not needed at 12.. plus there is two layers to those knobs..
alot to be found in this pedal..

keep playing with those knobs... :AOK:

Jimi75
July 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
The demo on the DT site looked way cool.
The wah sweep is a very sensitive topic to guitar players, I like my wah because it has a wide sweep.

Would be interested in how the Sape Station sounds and what you can do with it. The example on the DT site is too psycho spacie for me.

Look forward to seeing your video Robert.

Robert
July 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I have to say, this pedal is a lot of fun!

I am getting more used to the wah models now. I think I might retire my Fulltone Clyde Wah! :eek: Yes, it's true.

This pedal is so convenient and has such good sounds (mostly anyway) that I can't help saying it is a very worthy purchase, 100 or 200 bucks - still a good deal for a pedal with many great sounds.

Still haven't had a chance to do that video but... soon I hope!

marnold
July 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I have to say, this pedal is a lot of fun!

I am getting more used to the wah models now. I think I might retire my Fulltone Clyde Wah! :eek: Yes, it's true.

This pedal is so convenient and has such good sounds (mostly anyway) that I can't help saying it is a very worthy purchase, 100 or 200 bucks - still a good deal for a pedal with many great sounds.
Wow, retire the Clyde--that is high praise! Welcome to the EX-7 fan club.

Back when I first got mine I wondered why there wasn't a wah/volume/whammy combo pedal out there. Not long after I wondered that to myself, the EX-7 was announced. It fills that need for me and then some since I really like the A/DA, Univibe, and Space Station models.

Spudman
July 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Told ya. Neener neener. :tongue:

Glad that you finally made the discovery.:AOK: