PDA

View Full Version : Feedback/Advice on Ibanez Artcore hollow bodies

Algonquin
July 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Any Fretter here have any advice or feedback on the Ibanez Artcore hollow bodies out there?

They have full hollow bodied models with great looking trem arms, and some with sustain blocks down the centre like a 335 style guitar.

I've been looking into the Epi Dots, and possibly a Sheraton II, but really want to research this before I make any final decision.

I saw a nice Cherry Dot the other day, but it was gone when I stopeed by yesterday to check it out in more detail. They had an ebony one, but the fit and finish left a bit to be desired. Sheraton II's are about $200 more than the Dot, and there are quiet a few Ibanez that fit right into this price range.

Are folks generally happy with the Ibanez quality these days? I just saw a post that Warren had a pic of his beautiful Blue AFS75.... looked awesome.

Cheers :beer:
David

Rocket
July 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I had a red Ibanez Artist (335-style) for about 8 years. It played just fine but it was a boulder on my back & shoulders... probably the heaviest plank I've ever lugged around voluntarily. It was stolen when I lived in Michigan and turned up in a pawn shop... I never did go claim it.

I like the Epi Dots and I've had quite a few... one now belongs to Strum. I've also had a Sheraton & Sheraton II. The SherII is basically a Dot with makeup, just aesthetically more pleasing but comes with wimpy pups that must be tossed and replaced.

My opinion... I feel that the Epi Dot is hands-down, best bang-for-buck 335 out there. Depending on the sound you want and amp & effects used, you may want to consider upgrading with some decent real-Gibson or Seymour Duncan Specials.

Personally, I really get a kick out of swapping pups in Dots to see what sounds I can get out of them... they're truly very versatile guitars that don't always get the respect they deserve. They're also very cost-effective... enough so that everyone should have at least one.

warren0728
July 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM
i love my ibanez...it's a true hollowbody and weight hasn't been an issue with me...of course i play at home sitting down! :AOK:

check your pm david...

ww

Spudman
July 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I live 45 minutes from the western USA Ibanez importer and I can say that I haven't played an Artcore that I didn't like. I think they are very well done and great bang for the buck in that style of guitar. With some careful shopping you can probably pick up an barely used one for peanuts. It will be worth it. But I would suggest to try a few of the different models to see what feels best to you. My favorite is the AF75 and 75T. The AFS is superb as well.

The AM is pretty cool too but ugly. It sounds and plays great however. And of course the AS is great as well.

Algonquin
July 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Rocket, Warren, Spudman. I'm still a fan of Epi's, and love my Epi LP. One thing here is that the price of Epi's has dropped with the current strength of the Canadian dollar. This is great if you're buying new, but not for those selling used. Some sellers haven't taken this into account, and just want too much for their guitars.

I've always liked Iabnez, and there are many models in there lineup that I'd like to find out more about.

Warrens beauty doens't have a sustain block, but is still a relatively thin hollowbody... with a sweet looking trem system and roller bridge.

Any other Ibanez owners here?

David

BluesHowler
July 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I bought an AS73B a couple of months ago and I love it! Thats the one with the flat black finish. The tone is perfect for the blues/jazzblues I'm playing and a friend of mine that likes metal played it and it flat out rocked.

My guitar teacher plays a Strat and when I brought it in he asked to try it out. After a few minutes of playing he said it was a very nice guitar. I also have a Squire Strat and I like the feel of the neck way better on the Ibanez.

For the money I think it would be hard to find a better guitar new.

scgmhawk
July 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I've never played it but this guitar looks HOT! http://http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Viking-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=513354 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Viking-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=513354)

just strum
July 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I loved my Ibanez (solid) and can only comment that it was a well built guitar. It doesn't relate to the one you are considering, but that's all I can add when it comes to Ibanez.

I will agree with Rocket on the Dot and despite the purchase of a number of guitars, none have distracted my attention enough to make me forget about it. That's why when you see me post "I think I will sell..." the Dot is never included in that statement. I would also buy another one if the money was available and the deal was right.

Now Rockets comment about pick-ups has me thinking...

jpfeifer
July 10th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Algonquin,

I bought an Artcore AF85 a few years ago:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AF85-Electric-Guitar?sku=519477&src=3SOSWXXA

It's a decent guitar and gives you a great warm sound. It plays great. The pickups are a little dark sounding but this is perfect for Blues or Jazz. You can get some really nice sounds out of it.

I put some flatwound strings on mine and it sounds even better for Jazz.

With roundwound strings it has more of a 335 sort of tone.
For the money it's a great value. People are blown away when they find out how affordable this guitar is. Everyone thinks that it is an expensive guitar when I show it to them.

-- Jim

Algonquin
July 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks Jim... I love your playing and appreciate the feedback.
I just saw this Ibanez AS103 335'ish style guitar that I'd really love to check out.
http://www.acclaim-music.com/live/images/D/d-6090-4313.bmp

jpfeifer
July 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks!

This looks like a great guitar. They're making some pretty affordable 335 style guitars these days. It's a nice alternative to paying the huge price for the real thing. I can't believe how expensive Gibson ES-335's are as of late.

-- Jim

Radius
July 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
When I was working at a guitar shop, I played a grey transparent artcore that looked a lot like the 335-type one, but was a singlecut, so sort of like a 175, but with a rounded horn...anyway, it sounded very nice through a vintage fender amp, and didn't cost too much IIRC, so as far as my experience goes it looks good.
My friend also has an AWD83, which is a slightly thinner design, and was quite cheap, but still sounds nice, the pickups are quite lively with gain, and smooth without. He's had a few tuning issues, but that is possibly to do with his refusal to restring my guitar (he's not that experienced yet) after about 2 years :poke: :confused: