PDA

View Full Version : 6v6

tot_Ou_tard
July 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Last night I got the most incredible clean tones out of my Fender Champion 600. It has a NOS 5751 & a NOS 6V6 with a Weber AlNiCo 6" speaker.
Sweet, warm, resonant, & sparkly.

I was playing the Godin Radiator fingerstyle. The Godin has a great acoustic low end, the low notes can sound like a bass if dialed in correctly. Perfect for this style of playing & the little 6" speaker.

I was going through the low input with the volume on 8 & with a slight push from the Barber Launch Pad.

At first it didn't sound as good as I thought it should, but as I continued to play it got sweeter & sweeter. I had forgotten that the tubes needed to warm up.

Perhaps the Champion 600 called on all the amph angels to make sure I wouldn't forget it when the stork brings the new H&K tomorrow.

Don't worry sweetheart. Daddy's not gonna get rid of you & he'll still play with you after your new big baby brother arrives.

Spudman
July 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Clips? :poke:

tot_Ou_tard
July 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Clips? :poke:
There are none, so it must not have happened ;).

Spudman
July 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Of course not but it would be cool to have clips to compare to the new H&K.

tot_Ou_tard
July 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Of course not but it would be cool to have clips to compare to the new H&K.
If I got into recording, It'd take away valuable time (typing nonsense on the Fret) learning to play the guitar.

I plan on using the Barber Direct drive to A/B the two, but it'll take me awhile because I'm sure that each amp needs to be dialed in slightly differently.

The Champion 600 is a relatively quiet amph with the 6" speaker. That works well for playing in the basement, but it is rather directional. I have it on an amp stand on the floor tilted back & pointing directly at my face. The EQ changes if I move to the side a bit. This doesn't bother me, it's part of it's charm.

What I'm hoping for with the H&K is a bigger fuller sound. I read a review that said that its clean channel has the ear friendliness of a champ but with gusto. That sounds like heaven to me.

If I can work it without getting too loud, I'd like to use the Barber Launchpad to run both at the same time. I'd hit the front end of the champ for some warm breakup with the H&K doing the heavy clean lifting.