PDA

View Full Version : P 90's in a '51?

M29
July 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hello,

Anyone ever put P 90's in their Squier '51? I am thinking about doing this and can't seem to get anywhere on the '51 modders site, the pages just stall when I try to do a search.

Will a P 90 fit a humbucking bezel? Do you need a special one?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

t_ross33
July 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hello,

Anyone ever put P 90's in their Squier '51? I am thinking about doing this and can't seem to get anywhere on the '51 modders site, the pages just stall when I try to do a search.

Will a P 90 fit a humbucking bezel? Do you need a special one?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

A standard "soapbar" style P90 will not fit in a humbucker route, but this page from GFS (http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html) has some humbucker-sized options. I put a Dream 90 (http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr90husip90c.html) in the neck position of my Tele and I really like it.

M29
July 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks t_ross33, I didn't think of looking on the humbucking page for P90's. That looks like it will work. Plus I have heard they are nice pickups.

Is it possible to get any meat out of a bridge P 90? I can never seem to get enough bottom out of a bridge pickup they always sound thin. I know there is not much bottom at that location but I like to get as much as I can.

Thanks again t_ross33

M29

t_ross33
July 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Is it possible to get any meat out of a bridge P 90? I can never seem to get enough bottom out of a bridge pickup they always sound thin. I know there is not much bottom at that location but I like to get as much as I can.

M29

I don't think you can expect more "meat" than the bridge HB on the 51 - P90s have a bit different voicing - more like a single coil with some sizzle. GFS has some P90 options that might get into "humbucker, but with more clarity/definition" territory, but I think a 51 is going to have a brighter bridge tone just due to the body type/style.

If you want heavier bottom end, you may need to look at a different HB instead of a P90.

M29
July 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well I ordered two GFS P 90's. A Dream 90 for the neck and a mean 90 for the bridge. It is kind of an experiment, they are pretty well priced as you all know. I am anxious to get them. They will fit right into my humbucking mounts. I added a humbucking in the neck a while back. If I don't like them I can try them in something else.:D I grab this '51 one alot and like messin with it.:rockon:

Thanks again t_ross33

M29

t_ross33
July 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
For the price, ya can't go wrong. Keep us posted :beer:

Brian Krashpad
July 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Fwiw, I have GFS P-90's in a modded Bullet Strat I picked up for a Benjamin a couple months ago and like them a lot. Played that guitar at band practice last night in fact-- 'til I broke a string. :D I guess Pearl had me all rambunctious, that happens with guitars and me a lot, and the strings pay the price.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/2564111223_31fefd10d6.jpg

I bet you'll like your GFS pickups.

M29
July 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys!

I just put my P 90's in my '51 last night and had a chance to crank it up today. Oh man I should have had a set of these a long time ago. They have the sparkle of a single coil and still have a good bottom. I was very impressed how it sounded in the bridge, the bottom is pretty good:D I really like the punch they have as well. Over all a nice chimmy full sound. The noise is not too bad and with the neck and bridge together there is no noise. I made sure I got the opposite wind to cancel the hum. I am thinking of putting a set in my Jay Turser semi hollow body too.
I am happy now:rockon:

M29

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Woo-hoo, congrats!

I got a big profit-sharing and may actually sell or trade the guitar I posted above with the GFS P-90's-- but only because it's to get a hollowbody setneck with P-90s and a Bigsby. ;)

tot_Ou_tard
July 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Excellent M29!

I've been gassing for a semi or a hollow with P90s for a long time.

M29
July 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
OK I'm gunna do it, I'm gunna do it:D I put Dimarzio humbuckers in it already but I can use them in another guitar. I 'm gunna do it....Man this guitar stuff can get expensive...It sure is fun though:rockon:

M29

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the modding waters, Rondo introduces a new model that takes away the incentive. At $109.95 for a complete test bed already set up for P-90's, this is a hard to resist deal:
http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/sst57mhna1.jpg
http://www.rondomusic.com/sst57mhna.html

M29
July 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
Wow Blooz, I'm gunna have to start taking vacations from here if all these deals don't stop. I can't believe all the temptation here. Do we hear a "Out For Delivery" on this one for ya? :poke:

M29

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Wow Blooz, I'm gunna have to start taking vacations from here if all these deals don't stop. I can't believe all the temptation here. Do we hear a "Out For Delivery" on this one for ya? :poke:

M29

If I hadn't just bought that ash MM body for a P-90 set-up, I'd say yes. But...I can't keep adding to the pile everytime I see something that makes me GAS....:D

We can't all be Spud's ya' know.....;)

Bloozcat
July 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Wow! This must be some kind of a record, even for Rondo. The SX guitar I posted a pic of above, is out of stock already!

I just got a "new item" e-mail on it this past weekend, and it's gone already.

Too hot to last, I guess....

Brian Krashpad
July 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Wow! This must be some kind of a record, even for Rondo. The SX guitar I posted a pic of above, is out of stock already!

I just got a "new item" e-mail on it this past weekend, and it's gone already.

Too hot to last, I guess....

Btw, there is an Agile/SX forum where they stay real up to date on new models coming in, because for really popular ones like the P-90 Strat, it's not uncommon for them to sell out within a couple days.

Linky:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/

Bloozcat
July 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Btw, there is an Agile/SX forum where they stay real up to date on new models coming in, because for really popular ones like the P-90 Strat, it's not uncommon for them to sell out within a couple days.

Linky:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/

I've been a memeber of the Agile Forum since it's inception. I don't go there as much as I used to - I can only talk about Agiles just so much...:D

As you said Brian, they are very up to date on the new releases from Rondo. I knew that this particular model wouldn't last long, but I'm still surprised at just how quickly it went.

Bloozcat
July 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
So, I was watching "Shark Week" last night on Discovery channel. The crew on the show was trying to lure Great White Sharks into attacking a dummy seal that they had rigged with a camera. Seems the sharks ignored the attractive looking dummy seal for a while, but curiosity just got the better of them and they finally went for the bait.

I feel a little like those Great White Sharks on the show....

This morning when I opened my e-mail, there was a message from Rondo about "hard to get" items, or some such thing. So, I scrolled down the listings, and lo and behold, there was the SX SST Mahogany with P-90's. Well, I watched as Rondo tried to entice me with one of these a week ago, and I just let it go by until it was gone. But just like the Great White on last night's show, curiosity got the better of me and I finally took the bait.

So, sometime next week I guess I'll be doing a review of another guitar....:D

Brian Krashpad
July 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
So, I was watching "Shark Week" last night on Discovery channel. The crew on the show was trying to lure Great White Sharks into attacking a dummy seal that they had rigged with a camera. Seems the sharks ignored the attractive looking dummy seal for a while, but curiosity just got the better of them and they finally went for the bait.

I feel a little like those Great White Sharks on the show....

This morning when I opened my e-mail, there was a message from Rondo about "hard to get" items, or some such thing. So, I scrolled down the listings, and lo and behold, there was the SX SST Mahogany with P-90's. Well, I watched as Rondo tried to entice me with one of these a week ago, and I just let it go by until it was gone. But just like the Great White on last night's show, curiosity got the better of me and I finally took the bait.

So, sometime next week I guess I'll be doing a review of another guitar....:D

Woo-hoo, congrats in adavance!