PDA

View Full Version : Yngwie WHO?

thearabianmage
July 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen, that's who!!

I just saw Malmsteen last night. . . and. . . well. . .

I was blown away!

Not just by the gale force winds emanating from his lightning quick displays of phalangeal prowess, but also by his sheer presence and showmanship. That man was born for the stage.

Even in my short day, I've seen my fair share of rock acts (from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Metallica x2, Megadeth x3, Vai, Satriani, System of a Down x2 and Dream Theater right down to Mindless Self Indulgence, Dragonforce x2, Velvet Revolver x2, etc. you get the point)

And out of them all, Malmsteen is in my Top 5 Best Performers

But he's bloody rubbish at drop-kicking picks into the audience, I tell you what.

I don't know who his singer was, but he was pretty awesome as well. His image is a break away from the singers of Malmsteens past, but he had a pair of lungs on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps another lung in his back pocket - he could really hit the notes!

The only disappointment was that the show was only an hour and a half (no support act = good times. Started at 8:30 and finish at 10 = Bad Times!). But it was a solid hour and a half. And he went through a lot of the classics (Trilogy, Far Beyond the Sun, I Am A Viking, etc.) The sound system wasn't set up all that well though so I couldn't tell what every song was.

Over-all: I'd give it a strong 'A'

Seating-wise, there were no seats. It was a standing gig in a small venue with maybe 500 people there. . . 800 max. There was a bar at the back and even from there, at the furthest point of the venue, you could see Malmsteen's individual digits. Brilliant. At first I was on a staircase to the right of the stage looking over the stage, then I went to the front-center of the stage. 5 feet from the man, himself, at the closest. Oh yes.

If Malmsteen is coming to a town near you - get there. If you are a fan of The Yng, you will not be disappointed. Me? I'm a happy man. In under a year, I've seen Vai, Satch, and Malmsteen (and was within 5 feet of them all at some point). I can die happy.

pes_laul
July 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen, that's who!!

I just saw Malmsteen last night. . . and. . . well. . .

I was blown away!

Not just by the gale force winds emanating from his lightning quick displays of phalangeal prowess, but also by his sheer presence and showmanship. That man was born for the stage.

Even in my short day, I've seen my fair share of rock acts (from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Metallica x2, Megadeth x3, Vai, Satriani, System of a Down x2 and Dream Theater right down to Mindless Self Indulgence, Dragonforce x2, Velvet Revolver x2, etc. you get the point)

And out of them all, Malmsteen is in my Top 5 Best Performers

But he's bloody rubbish at drop-kicking picks into the audience, I tell you what.

I don't know who his singer was, but he was pretty awesome as well. His image is a break away from the singers of Malmsteens past, but he had a pair of lungs on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps another lung in his back pocket - he could really hit the notes!

The only disappointment was that the show was only an hour and a half (no support act = good times. Started at 8:30 and finish at 10 = Bad Times!). But it was a solid hour and a half. And he went through a lot of the classics (Trilogy, Far Beyond the Sun, I Am A Viking, etc.) The sound system wasn't set up all that well though so I couldn't tell what every song was.

Over-all: I'd give it a strong 'A'

Seating-wise, there were no seats. It was a standing gig in a small venue with maybe 500 people there. . . 800 max. There was a bar at the back and even from there, at the furthest point of the venue, you could see Malmsteen's individual digits. Brilliant. At first I was on a staircase to the right of the stage looking over the stage, then I went to the front-center of the stage. 5 feet from the man, himself, at the closest. Oh yes.

If Malmsteen is coming to a town near you - get there. If you are a fan of The Yng, you will not be disappointed. Me? I'm a happy man. In under a year, I've seen Vai, Satch, and Malmsteen (and was within 5 feet of them all at some point). I can die happy.
aw cool you saw system of a down? what year? I know their guitar player can get pretty crazy on stage

Spudman
July 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh ya.:dude: I would have loved that.

I agree that he was made to be a rock star. I'm sure any show of his the playing would be awesome because...that's what he does.

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Too cool, mage!

Yngwie has a knack for finding good singing talent. Although not in the same musical realm (neoclassical shredding), I managed to get General Admission tickets to see Eric Johnson in Austin during the Ah Via Musicom days. We managed to get up close, and it was mind blowing experience, to see someone up close and personal that can just nail the tunes and not break a sweat doing it.

Was also 4th row center at a Metallica concert, where James jumped off stage and went into the crowd during "Seek and Destroy". He was about two feet away at one point. Awesome show.

Robert
July 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Oh yah, Yngwieeeeee is a Rok-Star! He was my first shred influence. Never seen him live though.

thearabianmage
July 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
aw cool you saw system of a down? what year? I know their guitar player can get pretty crazy on stage

1st time in 2003 at the Reading Festival (English pronunciation - that's Redding, not Reeding) - Metallica came on after them (poo'd my pants)

2nd time at CASTLE DONINGTON!!! Or the 'Download Festival' as it known today. . . That was in 2005.

Both shows were very different, the first being pre-Hypnotize/Mesmerize, the second being post, but they were both equally awesome in their own rights. Darren Malakian was pretty crazy (the first time he looked like Jesus with a fat beard and massive long hair) but all eyes were on Serj Tankian. He is an excellent frontman. But I was surprised at how much of the vocals are actually done by Darren. The second gig, Serj was playing guitars, keyboards, Darren was singing a lot more, and they had a fat oriental rug on the stage. It was pretty cool.

thearabianmage
July 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Oh ya.:dude: I would have loved that.

I agree that he was made to be a rock star. I'm sure any show of his the playing would be awesome because...that's what he does.

The Yng is just the man. Everyone says he's all about speed (which, to a degree isn't a bad assumption) but, I tell you what, you can't not be into it and still give a show like he does. He loves it, and you can tell, man!

I managed to get General Admission tickets to see Eric Johnson in Austin during the Ah Via Musicom days

NICE! That must have been good! I'd love to see Cliffs of Dover, Desert Rose (rubbish vocals, excellent solo!) and Steve's Boogie live!!!

Was also 4th row center at a Metallica concert, where James jumped off stage and went into the crowd during "Seek and Destroy". He was about two feet away at one point. Awesome show.

But that must've been sick!!! What year was that?

Oh yah, Yngwieeeeee is a Rok-Star! He was my first shred influence. Never seen him live though.

Mine, too. I remember the first time I heard Malmsteen, man. Only 7 years ago to some, but to me, it was almost half a lifetime ago. But fret not, my friend, for it will never be too late to see Malmsteen. Judging by last night's performance, he's got at least a couple shows left in him!

Katastrophe
July 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It was either '91 or '92 I think, as they were touring in support of "The Black Album." It was before James was burned by a double charge of pyro.

That's a fairly long time ago.:thwap:

warren0728
July 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
sounds like a great time...i love standing room only shows in small venues....if you are willing to push and shove...like you said you can get within feet of the artist! :bravo: :beer:

ww

marnold
July 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
According to Yngwie's website, the singer is Ripper Owens aka the Judas Priest singer during the non-Halford decade! I'd love to see Yngwie live. I still remember hearing the Trilogy Suite when I was in college and being knocked into a week from next Tuesday.

SuperSwede
July 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, Yngwie always delivers on stage..

I´m not much for his records but he really shines when playing live.

The Boss
July 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM
The first time I saw Yngwie playing I said "Wow, I didn't know Hagrid could shred?!"

thearabianmage
July 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I was a tad disappointed because I thought he would be heavier than he is. . . He still has a pot-belly and moobies, but I was expecting Mr. Who-Ate-All-The-Pies. . .