PDA

View Full Version : Too much new gear snicker???

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Any of yall ever get this?

In the last 2 years Ive acquired alot of new gear. Dont get me wrong, Ive worked for it all. Lately Ive kinda gotten into used gear and have found some great deals that I find hard to turn down.

Yesterday I scored a used MIM Fender Strat Sunburst with rosewood neck for $225(Craigslist), which I think is a great deal....even though just 6 months ago I picked up a used Midnight Blue MIM Strat with maple neck, also for $225.
Ive always owned rosewood necks, so the maple neck was a welcomed addition as I really like the tone and feel, but when I stumbled upon the rosewood neck MIM I just had to have it, at the least for comparison sake...and besides its a BURST!
Id told a couple of buddy's I was plannin on gettin it, but the responses were "dont you already have a MIM??"...but strangely enough my girlfriend was rather supportive and said "get it!".
Well I went to my buddies band practice last night, and the rhythm guy does need gear but is too tight with his money, I let my friends jam with my gear often, they did...but nobody really said anything...until I was leaving, when one of the guys said "Bye...and oh yeah, nice guitar!"....but that soooo wasnt a compliment, you know what Im sayin?
It was a cold feeling, and I was just curious if anybody else experiences this?
Maybe its just my skill level to gear ratio???

And is it just me, or are used MIM's just a great deal or what???

Robert
July 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
MIM strats are great - used or not! They are probably just jealous for that great deals you make.

Katastrophe
July 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hmmmmmmm... Buddies that won't buy new gear, yet play on yours and give you a hard time for it.:thwap:

Sounds like a bit of gear envy to me. Don't worry about your skill level when it comes to gear. If you want another MIM, and can afford it without compromising any other obligations, then do it! After all, the only person that you have to satisfy with your playing is you, and no one else.

So, if you're finding great deals on used gear, and it gives you the confidence to play more and sound better in the process, then don't let others sway you.

Keep on keepin' on, brotha!:AOK: :rockon:

BTW, 'Bursts RAWK!:D

pes_laul
July 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah I get alot of that stuff from my friends who have like one guitar and a little amp.

but I tell them it's not the guitar (or gear) it's the guitar player

ShortBuSX
July 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hmmmmmmm... Buddies that won't buy new gear, yet play on yours and give you a hard time for it.:thwap:

Nah, different buddy...but the rest of the crowd was pretty much biting their tongues throughout the evening. The ones who played it had nice things to say, but the overall vibe is that I dont really need anymore new guitars.

BUT I figure I just learned the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale, so this is a nice lil reward :bravo: go me!

On a somewhat quasi related note, I picked this MIM burst up last night and this morning my grandfather passed away, he also played guitar, so for me this guitar will always have that connection and I'll surely think of him often when playing it.

ted s
July 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry for your loss ShortBus, Grandfathers are the best.

Katastrophe
July 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Condolences to you and your family on your loss, ShortBusX.

PM's available if you need to talk further, man.

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Sounds like a bit of gear envy to me. Don't worry about your skill level when it comes to gear. If you want another MIM, and can afford it without compromising any other obligations, then do it! After all, the only person that you have to satisfy with your playing is you, and no one else.

So, if you're finding great deals on used gear, and it gives you the confidence to play more and sound better in the process, then don't let others sway you.

Keep on keepin' on, brotha!:AOK: :rockon:

BTW, 'Bursts RAWK!:D

Hmm, I like that approach.

warren0728
July 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
MIM strats are great - used or not!
don't forget those mim teles....they're great too!

sorry about your grandfather shortbus....sending some mojo your way....

ww

Robert
July 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I meant any MIM Fender is great.

warren0728
July 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I meant any MIM Fender is great.
:beer: :poke: :D

ww

Ch0jin
July 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I feel ya.

It's been suggested that my gear to skill ratio is heavily weighted to the gear side by some people as well.

But you know what? When I plug my beautiful guitar into a vintage amp and cabinet and stomp on some hand made vintage style fx, the fun I have completely offsets the opinions of others as to my ability and/or expenditure.

Oh and jealousy is so often a factor. I make a decent living and I'm single and have next to no debt so why the heck shouldnt I spend my hard earned on things that give me pleasure (umm, i'm still talking about guitars and stuff here ok)

just strum
July 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Any of yall ever get this?

In the last 2 years Ive acquired alot of new gear...

Sorry, I can't relate.

hubberjub
July 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
That's my situation as well. I have a ton of guitars and their quality far exceeds my skill.

just strum
July 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
That's my situation as well. I have a ton of guitars and their quality far exceeds my skill.

Like many of us here, you have the opportunity to grow into them.

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I like how new gear keeps me motivated, I wanna play more often, several times a day even...anything thatll keep me off the computer, leave the TV off and out of the bars.

BTW I restrung my new burst last night, and wow did she come alive!

Plank_Spanker
July 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Whenever skill versus gear is brought up, it's almost always by someone jealous of the gear.

Let them be green with it!

Its great to have gear that keeps you motivated and happy. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Older/more experienced guitarists, in particular those without a lot of disposable cash, sometimes tend to think of gear in terms of what other players (particularly younger or less experienced) have "earned." If you've got more/better than them now, yet you're younger or less experienced, it sometimes will rub them the wrong way. Just human nature for such as those to be a bit jealous.

The other factor out there is the basic dichotomy amongst guitarists about having a batch of medium-priced to cheap guitars, versus only having 1 or 2 that are "really nice." Those in the latter camp would see you getting a 2nd MIM as a poor choice (they'd expect you to upgrade to a single more expensive guitar before getting a second guitar).

In either case, feck 'em. Play what you like and can afford. There will always be people who are either jealous of what you have, or will look down on what you have. In fact, unless you're waaay to one end of the spectrum or the other, there'll probably be those who disagree with your gear choices for BOTH reasons. Just have fun and don't worry about 'em.

dabacosm
July 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Hey--I've been playing out for a long time and I have a deep appreciation for the inexpensive guitar/equipment! I LOVE EM!!!! I have too much gear right now only because I could afford the cheap stuff!! If you buy right and know what to look for you can get some great tones and match the expensive stuff. I think Robert has proved that over and over. I recently sold a very nice Taylor Acoustic because I hardly touched it. (I'm pretty rough on my guitars and need something that I could bang around on and not be afraid I'd break it). I bought a really cheap Fender San Miguel for $150 at a second hand store that I absolutely love!! I have so many cheap guitars that I love and actually use that at this point I don't have a real desire for a museum item. I find the envy just silly, petty and immature.

ShortBuSX
July 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Older/more experienced guitarists, in particular those without a lot of disposable cash, sometimes tend to think of gear in terms of what other players (particularly younger or less experienced) have "earned." If you've got more/better than them now, yet you're younger or less experienced, it sometimes will rub them the wrong way. Just human nature for such as those to be a bit jealous.

Excellent points. I think the above mentioned coupled with the fact that I am single and am able to make the sacrifices to be able to afford new/used gear, without hearing about it from the "war department" is likely the case.

The other factor out there is the basic dichotomy amongst guitarists about having a batch of medium-priced to cheap guitars, versus only having 1 or 2 that are "really nice." Those in the latter camp would see you getting a 2nd MIM as a poor choice (they'd expect you to upgrade to a single more expensive guitar before getting a second guitar).

Nah, I keep upgrading even though what Ive got is still on the low end of the scale...I believe Im gonna continue to buy "used" though, that way I can continue to get gear at less than 1/2 price and still get back 100% of my investment(if not more, depending on the "deal" I got initially)...at the least I look at em now as poker chips, in a sense, and that I could cash them in at any moment if desired.

I also liked what dabacosm had to say...in that I like (good)cheap gear anyways. I feel value in my hands...but never cheap, as they do what they are intended to do...and to my own liking...and modding is almost half the fun!!! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
July 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Excellent points. I think the above mentioned coupled with the fact that I am single and am able to make the sacrifices to be able to afford new/used gear, without hearing about it from the "war department" is likely the case.

Nah, I keep upgrading even though what Ive got is still on the low end of the scale...I believe Im gonna continue to buy "used" though, that way I can continue to get gear at less than 1/2 price and still get back 100% of my investment(if not more, depending on the "deal" I got initially)...at the least I look at em now as poker chips, in a sense, and that I could cash them in at any moment if desired.

I also liked what dabacosm had to say...in that I like (good)cheap gear anyways. I feel value in my hands...but never cheap, as they do what they are intended to do...and to my own liking...and modding is almost half the fun!!! :AOK:

Buying used is the way to go. In that respect guitars are like cars and lose up to half (certainly a third) of their value once they leave the "showroom."

I wish I had the patience for modding. I can do some simple repairs and a little bit of setup-type things, but I don't mod for modding's sake (other than having made some purely cosmetic ultra-simple mods like painting a pickguard or getting a new switchtip). Generally if it ain't broke I don't fix it.

just strum
July 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Buying used is the way to go. In that respect guitars are like cars and lose up to half (certainly a third) of their value once they leave the "showroom."

I wish I had the patience for modding. I can do some simple repairs and a little bit of setup-type things, but I don't mod for modding's sake (other than having made some purely cosmetic ultra-simple mods like painting a pickguard or getting a new switchtip). Generally if it ain't broke I don't fix it.
+1,000 you posted that a few times and I now prescribe to it 100%. Only way I buy new, is if I can get it at a "used" price.