PDA

View Full Version : How about some Helmet for a Friday?

Katastrophe
July 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I hadn't heard this tune in years. I remember in the early 90's that metal (and music in general) was going through a seismic change, the effects of which are still ongoing today...

Here's a perfect example of what was going on. Helmet did away with all the excess of 80s music (long solos, longer songs, screaming) and stripped it down to the essentials - loud, distorted guitars, with a good groove. There's still some evidence of 80s though, note the pointy ESP that Page Hamilton is playing.

Great tune. I used to listen to it all the time...

PHt2qjGhcA0&feature=related

This version is apparently an older version of the tune.

marnold
July 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I liked this tune too. They were/are riff monsters, but that's about where it begins and ends. They were heavier and, to me, more "real" than most NuMetal bands--a genre that didn't die quite quickly enough for my tastes.

Ch0jin
July 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Yeah I'm a fan too, but I'm posting 'cause you reminded me of something I had forgotten all about.

Listen to the intro to Unsung (as u posted) and then Jessie by Paw (from 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74MUhos3XA

Tell me thats not -almost- lawsuit similar....

That Paw track just doesnt cut it after the intro though. Unsung has some really great angsty grunge lyrics, true to the genre you might even say, "To die unsung would really bring you down" etc where Jessie seems to be about a pet dog......

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah I'm a fan too, but I'm posting 'cause you reminded me of something I had forgotten all about.

Listen to the intro to Unsung (as u posted) and then Jessie by Paw (from 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74MUhos3XA

Tell me thats not -almost- lawsuit similar....

That Paw track just doesnt cut it after the intro though. Unsung has some really great angsty grunge lyrics, true to the genre you might even say, "To die unsung would really bring you down" etc where Jessie seems to be about a pet dog......

That is eerily similar... I agree with you about the Paw song, though... Kinda falls flat after the intro, which may explain why I haven't heard of them before!

Now the question is, who came up with the riff first? The Helmet version was from '91, the Paw vid was from '93, but there could have been a lag between writing the song and getting signed. Interesting...

Ro3b
July 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Heh. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. When Helmet first came out, I loved them but I thought they were almost unlistenably heavy. (Almost!) But compared to some stuff I listen to now, they're positively pleasant and tuneful. :dude:

merlin
July 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I love some Helmet.
what was awesome about them is that they did not look like rockers. They looked like a normal joe and they rocked heavy.