PDA

View Full Version : Hi from South Florida

miamifem
July 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd come on here and say HOWDY! I had taken guitar lessons as a kid and put it down when I was a teen and haven't played since. Now I'm finding myself wanting to pick it back up again, even though I don't remember anything anymore simply because my kid is taking piano. I admit, he's making me jealous. So I'm scouring the internet and every possible resource to learn to play again, so here I am.

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
welcome miamifem....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
www.Vanderbilly.com is a great place for video lessons....youll have to sign up first though, but it dont cost nuthin.

Welcome to theFret.

Katastrophe
July 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy our little corner of the internet.

We've got a wide range of styles and skill levels here, so post often!

EDIT: Robert's Dolphinstreet site is excellent if you haven't been there yet, with lots of video lessons and reviews on gear.

Mark Wein also has a great instructional website, and a book out as well.

If you're looking at buying gear, post what you're looking at and we'll be sure to give a bunch of views on our likes and dislikes. We can also help with pricing info on used gear as well. Some of us (Spudman, Brian Krashpad), have amassed quite an arsenal of new and used gear and are quite experienced at finding deals.:AOK:

Others, like me, are just plain goofy from time to time.:thwap:

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the Fret! Good to have you here.

mrmudcat
July 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
:master: Floridians rule:master: :beer: Welcome:bravo:

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
:master: Floridians rule:master: :beer: Welcome:bravo:

Thanks...Im from Florida too :dude:
On the Space coast, where the shuttle goes up at :whatever:

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
we have a lot of floridian fretters! we really should all get together sometime! :AOK:

ww

luvmyshiner
July 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the Fret Miamifem. Lots of good folks around here.

Bloozcat
July 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome fellow Floridian!

I'm about two hours up the coast from you.

BTW: GO CANES!
(sorry...I just couldn't control it...;) )

tot_Ou_tard
July 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome!

What's the fem stand for?

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome! There are a few of us like you here, who have returned to playing music after a long lay off, or started for the first time. This place has a wealth of advice and info from getting started on lessons, economical gear choices, etc. The search engine is pretty good, and just going through the index on the front page will get you into a lot of good info. You found a great place! Also, I second the above rec, make sure you go to dolphinstreet.com for Robert's lessons, and check out Mark Wein's stuff too.

scgmhawk
July 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome and cheers! :beer: I also took many years off between lessons as a kid and now. This forum is extremely helpful and fun!

ted s
July 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Howdy !

rkwrenn
July 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Welcome aboard - you'll like it here.

Robert (our Admin) runs a nice lessons site...

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/

Mark Wein posts here frequently and has a nice lessons site too...

http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com/

Both are very friendly and helpful. :dude: Check 'em out.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

R_of_G
July 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the site. Another Floridian here (Tampa). Hope you enjoy it here. The members and mods are very knowledgeable and friendly. :)

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
we have a lot of floridian fretters! we really should all get together sometime! :AOK:

ww

I think "half of Florida" is a correct term. Fortunately it's the half that doesn't wear depend undergarments except when it's a heavy night of drinking and they are worn as back-up.

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Oh, pardon my lack of manners, welcome to the forum. It's a great place to rest your glass and plug in your guitar(s)

warren0728
July 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I think "half of Florida" is a correct term. Fortunately it's the half that doesn't wear depend undergarments except when it's a heavy night of drinking and they are worn as back-up.
that wouldn't be nearly so funny if it weren't so close to the truth! :pancake: :beer:

ww

oldguy
July 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

evenkeel
July 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome from another Florida resident. Well sort of. Currently in Maryland, will be home, St. Pete, in November.

player
July 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Welcome miamifem.I know you will like it here.before moving here lived in WPB myself.looking to get back.unfortunately the market isn't doing well but the plan is still in place :AOK:
oh post often there are many here that will help you.the dolphinstreet idea was an example...yes it is that good

Algonquin
July 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Weldome to the Fret miamifem.
Cheers :beer:

ZMAN
July 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Welcome. How south in Florida are you. I spent some time last winter on Marco Island and will be there next year for a month. Gotta love that climate. A wonderful escape from frigid Canada in the winter.

Spudman
July 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Welcome! :wave:

EDIT: Robert's Dolphinstreet site is excellent if you haven't been there yet, with lots of video lessons and reviews on gear.

Mark Wein also has a great instructional website, and a book out as well.

+1. We have a lot of talent here to learn from. Those two guys can take you right along with easy to understand instruction.

Brian Krashpad
July 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM

ww

True dat!

Welcome Miamifem!

I'm from the home of the Fightin' Gators, or "Titletown," as we like to call it.

:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
July 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Welcome. How south in Florida are you. I spent some time last winter on Marco Island and will be there next year for a month. Gotta love that climate. A wonderful escape from frigid Canada in the winter.

In Florida, the term "South Florida" usually means the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area on the southeast tip, where miamifem is.

Although Marco Island is just as far south, more or less, most people down here refer to that area of the west coast as "Southwest Florida" rather than "South Florida."

warren0728
July 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm from the home of the Fightin' Gators, or "Titletown," as we like to call it.
:bravo: :beer: :beer: :bravo:

ww

R_of_G
July 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
In Florida, the term "South Florida" usually means the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area on the southeast tip, where miamifem is.

And yet I went to University of South Florida, located in Tampa. It's always seemed more central to me, but as a USF alum I have come to think of Tampa as south florida. When I drive the four hours southeast to see my parents I'm reminded there's a lot more south to go on the peninsula.

miamifem
July 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Welcome!

What's the fem stand for?

Fem stands for female/feminine/feminist, anything in the girl sense.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! Glad to know that there's loads of locals on here, or at least more local to me then say California.

miamifem
July 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM

I'm in Miami, but I go all over the place for various reasons from school to hobbies and vacationing. I've been spending loads of time in Hollywood and down in the Keys.

ZMAN
July 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
We spent a week in Hallandale beach near Hollywood a couple of years ago. Penthouse condo, very nice. Love the climate. Took a day cruise to the Bahamas from there and last year took a jet boat ride to the keys for a day.
This year we hope to spend a month on Marco. I kind of figured you were from Miami. Spent some time at the Guitar centre in Hallandale, are there any other good guitar shops in the area.?

miamifem
July 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
We spent a week in Hallandale beach near Hollywood a couple of years ago. Penthouse condo, very nice. Love the climate. Took a day cruise to the Bahamas from there and last year took a jet boat ride to the keys for a day.
This year we hope to spend a month on Marco. I kind of figured you were from Miami. Spent some time at the Guitar centre in Hallandale, are there any other good guitar shops in the area.?

Guitar Center Kendall....lol!! I love that store!

dws
July 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Welcome!

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
And yet I went to University of South Florida, located in Tampa. It's always seemed more central to me, but as a USF alum I have come to think of Tampa as south florida. When I drive the four hours southeast to see my parents I'm reminded there's a lot more south to go on the peninsula.

That's a good point. The USF monicker is a bit of an anomaly in Florida geographic usage, innit? Fwiw, I tend to think of Tampa/St. Pete as part of Central Florida, along with the ORL/Daytona area. Further south on the west coast I tend to think of as "Southwest Florida."

miamifem
July 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
That's a good point. The USF monicker is a bit of an anomaly in Florida geographic usage, innit? Fwiw, I tend to think of Tampa/St. Pete as part of Central Florida, along with the ORL/Daytona area. Further south on the west coast I tend to think of as "Southwest Florida."

It is pretty interesting considering the Univ. of Central Florida is in Orlando and if you follow Tampa on a map, it's actually a bit north of Orlando, but I wonder if maybe they were brother/sister schools during the time of gendered universities. For example, I know that FSU and UF were brother/sister schools. FSU was an all woman University and UF was all male, and I think they became co-ed in 1947, so I wonder if UCF and USF went the same route. Here's a historical link (http://www.fsu.edu/~speccoll/curric/currcoll.htm) for anyone who's interested. I'm a bit of a history buff. :)

tot_Ou_tard
July 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Fem stands for female/feminine/feminist, anything in the girl sense.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! Glad to know that there's loads of locals on here, or at least more local to me then say California.
Iz what I thought. Welcome.

Brian Krashpad
July 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
It is pretty interesting considering the Univ. of Central Florida is in Orlando and if you follow Tampa on a map, it's actually a bit north of Orlando, but I wonder if maybe they were brother/sister schools during the time of gendered universities. For example, I know that FSU and UF were brother/sister schools. FSU was an all woman University and UF was all male, and I think they became co-ed in 1947, so I wonder if UCF and USF went the same route. Here's a historical link (http://www.fsu.edu/~speccoll/curric/currcoll.htm) for anyone who's interested. I'm a bit of a history buff. :)

Actually, Orlando is a little north (and of course east, being in the middle of the peninsula) of Tampa:

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/cities/tampa/maps/tampaorlando.gif

Being a Gator alumnus, I knew of the past relationship of UF/FSU, FSU is frequently still referred to as "That Girl's School" here in Gainesville. :D

USF and UCF are both newer universities, and do not date back to the times when there were all-male and all-female schools. I had to look it up, but classes didn't start at USF until 1960, and UCF was founded (under a different name, Florida Tech. Univ.) in 1963.

I'm a bit of a history fan too. History was my undergrd major at UF and I taught geography and social studies (junior high school) for a year in between undergrad and law school.

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Wow, I'm s-o-o-o behind on my welcomes! WELCOME to The Fret, Miamifem!! Glad to have you with us! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Miami-Ace
August 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
:dance Hello, this is a welcoming message from a real-life Miami guy. You truly should check out Robert's Dolphinstreet site. He's got a gift for straightforward instructional videos, in which he slowly, patiently explains everything. He also has mastered how to give really good views of what he is doing -- and he takes pains to repeat things quite a bit. He's also a highly likeable dude.

Good luck on your learning adventure. I got serious about guitar culture at age 59 ... and I have been having a blast. Even my cat and my wife like to listen to my noodling about. I hope you get that kind of satisfying experence. When you do something that you previously couldn't -- and it sounds pretty good -- it's a joyful thing.

Spudman
August 1st, 2010, 09:26 PM
2 years since they last checked in. Hmmm.