PDA

View Full Version : New String Day

marnold
July 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Is there any better day than New String Day, I ask you? My Floyd was having some tuning issues which means that it's time for new strings. So I went to my stash and slapped on a new set. I also took the opportunity to return the fine tuners to center. Thankfully the Speedloader makes the string change a snap.

It is also the first time that I've really been able to hear the Screamin' Demon. The clarity on the Demon and the Area 61s is nothing short of amazing to me. The Demon is unlike any humbucker I've heard before. It's bright and relatively low-powered but with a mid-range growl that is untypical for low-power 'buckers that I've tried. As good as it sounds alone, I like it even better combined with the Area 61s. I've tried to get a tone I dislike out of it, but so far I've failed.

I've been messing with the bridge-middle position and mauling some Mark Knopfler riffs. I found that if I roll back on the volume ever so slightly, enough tone is rolled off that it gives the impression of playing with my fingers even though I'm not.

I think that for now at least, my guitar GAS is cured. Of course, that means that at some point I can move on to bass GAS, but that's another discussion for another day. Note I also didn't mention ampf GAS. That H&K that was on sale for a bit looked really sexy.

Katastrophe
July 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Is there any better day than New String Day, I ask you?

*SNIP*

I think that for now at least, my guitar GAS is cured. Of course, that means that at some point I can move on to bass GAS, but that's another discussion for another day. Note I also didn't mention ampf GAS. That H&K that was on sale for a bit looked really sexy.

Yes, there is, and it's called New Guitar Day!

Glad that the guitar GAS is temporarily cured, but methinks I do hear the distant, low frequency rumble of bass GAS thundering away in the distance.

Time for a new Peavey?????? HMMMMMMM?:poke:

I think, though, Rev, that you neglected the eleventh, unwritten Commandment:

Thou shalt not covet, nor have impure thoughts, about thy neighbor Fretter's amph. Thou shalt have GAS, and it is good, so that thou might create thine own screamin' solo.

I could be wrong on the exact wording. I was paraphrasing.;) :D

ShortBuSX
July 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yes, there is, and it's called New Guitar Day!

"New guitar day" was Wednesday for me, and "New String day" was last night...I reckon today is "intonation day".

But everyday has been new amp day since I got my Deville last month!:rockon:

Plank_Spanker
July 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I just restrung three guitars for the gig tomorrow night. I like the feel and sound of new strings. :D