PDA

View Full Version : Unsure What to Buy

dkewl16
July 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi, I've been recording through my computer's microphone for too long and I'd like to start recording by plugging my guitar into my Mac.

From what I've researched it seems like I have a few options. I'm confused on what is the best option. Should I go for a simple 1/8" adapter that will plug into the line-in on the mac? Or will my guitar be too soft (need a preamp?)
I'm really looking for the cheapest option with the best sound quality. I found the Behringer FCA202, but I wasn't even sure if it would do what I needed. Is there a known standard that I'm overlooking?

I guess there are a lot of questions there. To sum it all up I'm asking:
Does the Behringer FCA202 work for guitar -> PC and is that better than using just a 1/8" adapter? Or is there something else that would work better?

Thanks

theseeker
July 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Assuming you have a newer Mac, go with Garage Band. I have a Pro Tools LE set up but I still use GB quite a bit.

You can run your guitar and pedals (if you use them) right into the Mac and let it rip. I sometimes use an Art Pre Amp but most of the time it's straight in. And with the wide variety of jam packs and plug-ins you can use with GB you can churn out some really nice sounding stuff.

Hope this helps.:AOK:

jasongins
July 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Do you want to record an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar? The Line6 Toneport GX (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Toneport-GX-USB-Recording-Interface?sku=241406) USB interface offers a lot for $49. The included Gearbox software has plenty of amp models and effects, but you don't have to use them if you don't want - it works well just as an interface. I absolutely love mine. Garageband does have some built in amp models and effects also.

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM
1/8" tele plug into the line in works for me... no soft guitars! :R

markb
July 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Garageband gives you some rudimentary amp modelling but the signal might be a problem. A pedal between the guitar and the Mac will help but those Line 6 Toneports are really good USB interfaces for very little money and you get all the POD type stuff as well in software form. Get a mixer if you want to use mics and line out to the audio port (mixer tip: use the RCA recording jacks for stereo out to keep cable costs down). Behringer do some mixers that come with a 2 in 2 out USB interface. I'm probably going down that route myself when Behringer's NZ distibution gets sorted out :mad:.

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I got started simply with a cable, and adapter to get into the audio in, and my Mac and Garageband. Worked well enough to get started. I have since added a Toneport as some of the others suggest, and enjoy the added features, and interface for both guitar cables and mics in the model I purchased, the Toneport UX2. Doesn't hurt to get started with just a cable though.

Mr Grumpy
July 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
+1 for the Toneport GX. I love mine, its also my 1st choice for practice. Great and incredibly cheap.

dkewl16
July 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hey thanks for all your replies,

I will definitely check out the toneport GX.

Any other suggestions for starting out?

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hey thanks for all your replies,

I will definitely check out the toneport GX.

Any other suggestions for starting out?

Only that when you check out the GX, check out the UX1 or UX2 Toneports as well, if you think you may ever want to mic an amp or have more inputs. The GX takes a guitar cable, but not a mic. Great if that is all you wish to do, but the UX series gives you more options. I enjoy putting a mic on my amp and recording what it is doing when I mess around with pedals and such.

Cheap_Gear
August 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
You might want to check out this site http://recordingreview.com An audio interface might be more than you are wanting to spend but they come in all kinds of price ranges. They have a wizard on that site where you input your requirements and computer setup and they will recommend an interface. I recommend this site to anyone who has or wants to setup a home recording studio . Go to the forums. Its a really neat site with tons of info for home recording enthusists.

cobalt
November 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hey cheap gear, great post! I just downloaded Reaper. Thanks