PDA

View Full Version : Chip in Paint

ragnarpk
July 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Recently my straplocks failed and my white les paul fell to the floor :(
Thankkfully only the paint on the headstock chipped, and i was wondering what the best way to fix it was...?
Its just the white paint that chipped..

robert43
July 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
A picture would help

thearabianmage
July 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Duck-tape it. No one will notice :D

Rocket
July 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Is it worse than this?

http://tsom.us/v-web/gallery/albums/album01/trigger2.jpg

If not... just leave it as a character blemish.

ZMAN
July 12th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I had a chip in the front of one of my Strats. I thought it was put there by the tech when he set it up. He claimed it was like that when I dropped it off. Not likely as I am anal about my guitars. I also restore cars so I know how to fix minor paint chips.
The color was White Pearl Metalic, and I went to about 10 stores and hobby shops to find the right color. When I did I follow this procedure.
The whole thing with a chip is that the surrounding paint is "higher" than the chipped out area. I know that is a duhhh answer but you have to bring the area of the chip up to the level of the rest of the paint. Take a fine brush and some mineral spirits on a small cloth. Lightly dab the paint only into the chip and carfully wipe the excess paint off the area around the chip.
Then the most important part. LEAVE IT TO DRY completely. Then repeat the process until the paint is level. I use fine polish when it is completely dry to level out the area and it will be almost invisible. The big thing is to match the paint as close as possible.
After I did all this and had it almost perfect the store called me and offered to replace the guitar with a brand new one. So I took the new one. When I returned the old one they were very impressed with the repair and sold it with a very minor discount.

dws
July 14th, 2008, 11:01 AM
A picture would help-post one to help people help you out. :D

indianjjy
July 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Mix some paint with a little super glue, I know this sounds crazy and you have to be fast, then use a toothpick and put it in place and let it dry overnite. Use some fret emery cloth and polish it up. Sounds crazy but it does work. I used it this way on a chip I had next to my binding on a cherryburst les paul. worked great...

TS808
July 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I had also read somewhere to use fingernail polish. Buff it down afterward, and then apply a coat of poly or lacquer over it (depending on what your guitar finish is). It's supposed to work great...the only problem I would foresee is finding a match.

ZMAN
July 16th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Matching is the whole issue. That is what takes more time. You think you have a match then you find it is off a shade. I was looking for a White pearl.
You can't imagine how many shades of that there are.