PDA

View Full Version : Some Manfred Mann

Robert
July 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
This is one of the best songs of the 70s, I think! It's actually a Bruce Springsteen song. Great guitar playing here too. The whole band was way ahead of its time, I think. Awesome musicians, all of them.

Blinded by the Light
HbsXLzDwg6Q

Martha's Madman - Live!
Awesome tune too - great guitar as well.
Qq4Rg9nCb4I

marnold
July 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
When I think of Manfred Mann ('s Earth Band) I think of this song, which I did not realize was written by Bob Dylan. I haven't the foggiest what this song is supposed to be about, but I've a feeling that some amateur pharmacists may have been involved.
xVmV4H7aNPI

just strum
July 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
everytime I hear Blinded By the Light I think of Bruce commenting that with the change of one word, the song becomes a hit.

Bruce used "duce"

Manfred Mann used "duesh"

cut loose like a....

R_of_G
July 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
everytime I hear Blinded By the Light I think of Bruce commenting that with the change of one word, the song becomes a hit.

Bruce used "duce"

Manfred Mann used "duesh"

cut loose like a....

:rotflmao:
Same here. I prefer Bruce's version myself. It's one of his more Dylanesque works, and has a LOT more verses than Manfred Mann used. It shows what a valuable songwriting tool a rhyming dictionary can be.

markb
July 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
The Manfred Mann's Earth Band album The Good Earth (from which I think Blinded by the Light is taken) originally came with a title deed to a square foot of land in North Wales. I have that song on a 7" single somewhere around here. Dylan's version of The Mighty Quinn can be found on The Basement Tapes and a lot of the stuff from those sessions speaks of chemical refreshment. Clothesline Saga anybody?

Tone2TheBone
July 12th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Good vid Robert I love MMEB.

Algonquin
July 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
It's amazing how a song from the past can catapult you back in time... this is absolutely one of those songs!... I won't say what school grade I was in, because that would make me an old fart, and I'm not ready for that just yet :D

wingsdad
July 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The whole band was way ahead of its time, I think.
Sure was. I must be a really old fart, because when I think of Manfred Mann, this is top of mind. With apologies to Bill Murray and Harold Ramis, drill marching in Stripes, here goes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/30p0PJrHrgE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/30p0PJrHrgE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>