PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get relic'd guitars

birv2
July 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I just got the "Strat-o-thon" flyer from GC, and the most expensive strats listed were the relic'd ones, complete with cigarette burns on the headstock, chipped paint, aged bridge, etc.

I can understand that some people would really dig this, but, for me, I just can't see paying extra for that. Why not just beat up your current guitar?:)

Or am I missing something?

Bob

thearabianmage
July 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Some people think it's 'cool' to have a guitar that they paid hundreds more for because some guy took a dump on it, in a figurative sense.

It's silly, really, but let them waste their money if they want to.

just strum
July 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM
If it sells, they will make it.

It would be interesting to see the sales numbers for relics. Then again, you take a blem that you would sell for 20% to 30% less and drop it on the floor, burn the headstock and badda bing you have a $15K to $20K guitar. Now all they have to do is find a buyer.

Plank_Spanker
July 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I believe someone here said if you put a few cigarette burns on a Strat, you've just increased it's value by $25,000. :D

oldguy
July 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
There have been other threads about this, but I'll still relic my own, thank you.:D

just strum
July 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I believe someone here said if you put a few cigarette burns on a Strat, you've just increased it's value by $25,000. :D

Thinking back Plank, you could probably find that statement in almost everyone of the threads that OG is referring to.

Tone E
July 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Relics are generally period correct like reissues so they would appeal to someone who wants an actual vintage guitar with the marks and character but cant afford one.

ShootTheGlass
July 13th, 2008, 04:42 AM
if its a guitar youve had for years, and the dings and wear on it can be attributed to gigs youve played, then it add some character to the guitar, piece of personal memorabilia.

Screwed, I mean relicd, guitars dont hold any attraction for me. Its like the VW owners who go for the rat look on their beetles and golfs, complete with "rust-look" orange paint basecoats.

birv2
July 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
OTOH, I also don't get the obsession with keeping your guitar free of all scuff marks, etc. as if it's a museum piece. Granted, my guitar is not a vintage expensive one. But if I'm looking for a guitar to buy, I don't mind some signs of normal wear. In fact, if it means it's been played a lot, that adds to the value for me.

I suppose if I were buying guitars to put in a case or on a wall, I'd want them to look pristine. But I just want to play the things, not admire them from afar!

Bob

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
OTOH, I also don't get the obsession with keeping your guitar free of all scuff marks, etc. as if it's a museum piece. Granted, my guitar is not a vintage expensive one. But if I'm looking for a guitar to buy, I don't mind some signs of normal wear. In fact, if it means it's been played a lot, that adds to the value for me.

I suppose if I were buying guitars to put in a case or on a wall, I'd want them to look pristine. But I just want to play the things, not admire them from afar!

Bob

I agree with you on this one. When I first started, I spent more time shining then I did playing. I still keep them clean and I take precautions, but I'm not anal about it. As for buying used, the more scratches, the less cost - as long as it can kick butt, who cares if it has a scratch.

Besides I smash at least one every time I get up on stage.

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I just got the "Strat-o-thon" flyer from GC, and the most expensive strats listed were the relic'd ones, complete with cigarette burns on the headstock, chipped paint, aged bridge, etc.

I can understand that some people would really dig this, but, for me, I just can't see paying extra for that. Why not just beat up your current guitar?:)

Or am I missing something?

Bob
I don't understand it either. I look at it this way...if people want to spend that much for a relic'd guitar, that is up to them. Personally, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Sometime take a look on ebay at the vintage guitars on sale in good condition, and compare the prices with the vintage, beat up ones. The ones in good condition are getting the high bids...not the ones that are beat to death.

Guitars like Fenders and Gibsons tend to go up in value, so why not take care of them? If i was trading one of my guitars or wanted to sell one to get a better guitar, it will fetch more money if it's in good shape.

Bloozcat
July 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
A guitar's got to pay it's dues too...

Seasoning comes with time and loving effort, not with a hammer, scraper, and a torch.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...;)

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I saw a Fender video once where the Custom Shop was recreating Eric Clapton's Blackie Strat...

The builder took a perfectly good, pristine neck and took a Dremel tool to it to recreate the wear that Clapton put on his guitar naturally, through years of playing.

Made absolutely no sense at all to me.:confused:

tot_Ou_tard
July 16th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I know! Who does the finish work on these? They always seem to royally f@ck it up. The finish is all uneven & sometimes the guy even accidentally burns the guitar with his ciggy.

I buy relics & sand'em down & refinish them so they are as good as new.

scgmhawk
July 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I agree with everyone that I don't understand the relic craze.:confused: I assume that it's investors/collectors -- probably more collectors since the price point on these is already so high -- that are purchasing these rather than players.

tot_Ou_tard
July 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I agree with everyone that I don't understand the relic craze.:confused: I assume that it's investors/collectors -- probably more collectors since the price point on these is already so high -- that are purchasing these rather than players.
I geuss that collectors want their house to look like the Hard Rock Cafe.

To paraphrase StingX.

Everytime a collector buys an instrument, Jesus cries.

Plank_Spanker
July 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Relics....................................

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/BEATStrat.jpg

just strum
July 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM

Now that would be a cool wall hanging.

Ch0jin
July 23rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
well I agree with the rest of you. If I owned a beatup looking guitar I'd like to be able to lovingly recall the moments that led to the "scars".

I remember watching a motorhead doco once where Lemmy said (after being asked why he was still using the same rickenbacker bass after all this time) "Well man, I reckon one day some guitar tech will find the cure for cancer in the crap growing inside this bass"

Also, we have this TV show over here thats just started called "The Guitar Show" (guess what its about) and last episode the guy from Jacksons Rare Guitars in Sydney (guess what they sell) brought on an original, unmodified Fender Broadcaster in butterscotch. Now I'm just ging to assume y'all know what that is so I wont go into it, but I remember looking at the rust, the wear and the melted bridge PU (looked like it had been left in the sun too long) and then the totally reverential way he was handling it and (briefly) playing it and thinking "You just would NOT have that kind of respect for a relic'd reissue of the same thing.

Mind you, regardless of heritage, if I was playing a guitar worth more than my car I'd be carefull too ;)

Lev
July 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
I have less of a problem with relic'd 'tribute' guitars such as the Rory Gallagher strat. They are a faithful recreation of iconic guitars - mind you the price charged on some of those Custom Shop tributes is scandalous.

I do have a problem with buying guitar that you could get for $1000 but paying $2000 for it to be beat up.

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
I do have a problem with buying guitar that you could get for $1000 but paying $2000 for it to be beat up.
Especially 'cause you'd have to pay $500 to make the finish good as new again. ;)

Ch0jin
July 24th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I've paid $2000 to have someone beat up before.... Oops, thats now what we were talking about was it...

(jokes)

ShootTheGlass
July 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Better than saying youd paid $20 for a lass to beat you up.

Brian Krashpad
July 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Better than saying youd paid $20 for a lass to beat you up.

Might depend on the lass and whether the Jackson included any other services.

Just sayin. ;)

Kinks aside, I'm in agreement with the anti-relic camp. I have nothing against guitars with nicks and dings. I have several such guitars, but the ones I didn't muck up myself I paid less for as a result of their condition, not more. I try to take care of my guitars, but they're going to get dinged up. Especially if your approach to playing guitar in a band, like mine, includes some showmanship/mayhem.

I read somewhere that Fender got the "relic" idea because Keef didn't want to take his vintage pieces on the road and paid the custom shop to make accurate reproductions. All well and good for Keef, I suppose.

But, there's 2 reasons this is kinda silly as a product concept for the general public:

1: ain't nobody else Keef :master: ; and

2: guitarists' obsession with gear and all its various attributes is rarely if ever shared by audience members (unless they're also guitaists) or for that matter anyone else. Most people in most audiences would be hard-pressed to distinguish between a guitar and a bass, much less a "new"-looking guitar versus a relic'd one. To most people they're just those things with strings on them that make sound come out. On a good day someone might add "I think the one s/he was playing was blue," or maybe "dark on the outside edges but lighter in the middle-- is it supposed to look like that?"

:D

warren0728
July 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
ain't nobody else Keef :master:
absolutely...and there never will be!! :messedup: :beer:

ww

Big K
July 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
guitarists' obsession with gear and all its various attributes is rarely if ever shared by audience members (unless they're also guitaists) or for that matter anyone else. Most people in most audiences would be hard-pressed to distinguish between a guitar and a bass, much less a "new"-looking guitar versus a relic'd one. To most people they're just those things with strings on them that make sound come out. On a good day someone might add "I think the one s/he was playing was blue," or maybe "dark on the outside edges but lighter in the middle-- is it supposed to look like that?"

+1

Ch0jin
July 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
OOOOOOh all this reminds me of a story (never fear, its kinda on topic)

There was this Aussie "band" called Rogue Traders that punished us for a short while with their record label engineered power pop drivel. Fronted by an ex soap (Neighbors) actress. Mercifully they have disbanded, but this thread reminded me of an interview I saw with them that went something like this...

"So Nat (the singer/soap star), we've been told there's a funny story about your guitarist"

"Oh yeah, well when we were auditioning for a guitar player we found this one guy who had the look and the attitude we wanted, and the studio guys said he had the right sound, so we had basically called him back in to tell him he had the gig on the condition that he get a nice new guitar and speakers (her words not mine) to replace the horrible beat up looking thing he was playing"

In the audition footage they showed he was using a vintage strat with a plexi half stack.........."Old Junk" apparently.....

pes_laul
July 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM

so does that go for an extra 20,000:thwap: