PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez Musician, anyone tried it?

ShootTheGlass
July 13th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Theres a guitar for sale not far from me - its a '79 Ibanez Musician, HH layout with neck-through. Ive never seen one before, just wondered if anyone had tried one of these; is it worth getting or are they crusty relics that arent much good?

Im dying to buy another guitar, but dont want to rush into buying one on a whim.

Looks like this btw, which i think is pretty sweet

http://www.geocities.com/xcvxcv65/ibanez/81mc550-big.jpg

oldguy
July 13th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Those were (are) a high quality guitar all the way. Back in the day, a friend of mine had one, I had an Artist. Both very high quality. The Musician he had sported a built-in preamp/EQ circuit, I believe, I remember it being quite versatile.
Spudman can probably give you an accurate idea of it's dollar value, but it may be "worth" more than that.;)
Unless the asking price is outlandish, I'd jump on it.:)
EDIT:
I got to nosing around and found this (just in case you're a comparative shopper).......... a '78 natural finish..... 6 offers but no takers at the BIN price of $3399+$71 S&H..........(thus my "outlandish" price comment).

Under "competed listings" they seem to go for around $600-1400, depending on condition and how bad someone wants one.....(the model you posted the pic of go for over a grand routinely, if in VG cond.)... they are quality instruments, very well made (at least all I've seen were).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Musician-MC500-NT-1978-Stunning-and-RARE-Beauty_W0QQitemZ110269999377QQihZ001QQcategoryZ330 43QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Spudman
July 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I've had 2 of those over the years. The first one I had on the road with me for years. The second is like the one in the picture but mine was an ebony finish. I eventually sold it in a fit of stupidity.:thwap: They are a great playing versatile guitar but I found all of them to be neck heavy as they drooped a bit, just enough to annoy me.

If you can get it for less than $600 then you'll have an investment that will continue to increase in value providing it is in and kept in good shape.

ShootTheGlass
July 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Sounds much better than I expected! Im going to see it on Monday, so here's hoping its all good nick and he doesnt up his price - as it stands he wants £250 (about $500).

Algonquin
July 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Good luck ShootTheGlass. Ibanez guitars form this era were generally very high quality... a lot of bang for the buck, so to speak. I think it looks awesome :bravo: Happy hunting!

markb
July 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
£250 sounds good. These guitars are very nicely built.

ShootTheGlass
July 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Phoned the guy back to go and look/buy on Monday, and it had sold already. Despite the seller saying he wouldnt be around till about the time I phoned him.

Gutted. :(

Katastrophe
July 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
That sucks.:reallymad:

I've gotta tell ya, I've played a number of Ibanezes of different years, and with the exception of the GAX series, I've liked 'em all.

Of course, the GAX that I played on was a pawn shop special, and I think the setup was performed by Captain Caveman. It was pretty beat up.

Keep looking, I'm sure another good deal will come along soon!