PDA

View Full Version : String preference??

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Just curious...what gauge of strings are people using these days?

I recently went back to playing 9's. A couple things factored into that...one, I spend alot of time on a computer at work, and also work out, so my hands were getting pretty cramped...sometimes even squeezing a bottle of contact lens solution i feel some pain.

Second, I was reading a thread on another site where people were talking about using 11's on their strat (seems like the popular thing to do) but many were describing how they "struggle" with their strats. That just didn't make sense to me.

Lastly, I read two BB King stories...BB was with Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top and Gibbons was playing 11's and having a bit of a hard time. BB in his wisdon told Gibbons "they make them so you can bend them you know"...Gibbons switched to a lighter gauge (rumored to be 8's.). BB was also playing with Clapton who at the time was using 12's and BB asked Clapton why he used such thick strings. Clapton responded "because they are louder and fatter". Again, BB came up with a good one and responded "just turn up your amp". Classic. Clapton switched to a lighter gauge.

My point is this: I'm playing what feels right to me and sounds good. I can EQ my amps and "turn them up" to compensate for the slight difference between 9's and 10's.

Why struggle with your guitar?? Playing should be fun, not a struggle. If my hands stop cramping up, maybe I'll go back to 10's, but for now, I like the 9's...they are made to bend. :D

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
My favorite subject.

Well, the last guitar I purchased has 11's on it and I like them. Not sure if they are suited well for all my guitars, but they produce a richer tone (IMHO), however since I never strung this guitar with 10's I'm not sure of the real difference.

Normally I use 10's, a lot of new guitars come with 9's (Fender) and I think they are like spaghetti.

The 11's are a little tough on the fingers at first, but now when I flex my fingers we are talking about some serious guns.

As for you play with what feels good, nothing wrong with that, but are you sure it sounds better? Going to 11's is a couple of days of adjustment, not that big of a deal.

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have 10's on my strat and 9's (but the crappy original ones) on my Fully fat strat. I like the feel of my strat better, but I am more used to its 9.5 radius and larger fret wire too. So hard to say. I do feel like the set of 10's feels more resilient under my fingers. That is it for now.

The Martin lights on my acoustic feel like cables. I don't see how acoustic blues players accomplish those bends. I rely much more on slides, or thing other than bends on my acoustic.

Big K
July 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Been kinda stuck on 10-52's on both 24.75" and 25.5" scale guitars for awhile, think I'll try a set of 9-46's on one of the longer scales in a side by side comparison, the regular 9's are a little small on the bass strings as hard as I whack them.... I'll leave the 11's to the professionals....

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
.... I'll leave the 11's to the professionals....

The only thing I'm a professional at is opening the guitar case. I'm playing the Wildkat right now and I can bend the crap out of them.

A'll be bock. (Arnold imitation)

Edit: One thing you will find when playing 11's, is how easy it is to bend 10's when you go back - I bend 10's completely around the neck now:D

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
My favorite subject.

Well, the last guitar I purchased has 11's on it and I like them. Not sure if they are suited well for all my guitars, but they produce a richer tone (IMHO), however since I never strung this guitar with 10's I'm not sure of the real difference.

Normally I use 10's, a lot of new guitars come with 9's (Fender) and I think they are like spaghetti.

The 11's are a little tough on the fingers at first, but now when I flex my fingers we are talking about some serious guns.

As for you play with what feels good, nothing wrong with that, but are you sure it sounds better? Going to 11's is a couple of days of adjustment, not that big of a deal.
Honestly, when I was playing 10's, I never thought I'd go back to 9's again. I thought they felt too flimsy, but never thought they were compromising tone in any way.

I like how easily the 9's bend. Maybe once these hands stop cramping up like they've been, I'll go back to 10's.

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I like how easily the 9's bend. Maybe once these hands stop cramping up like they've been, I'll go back to 10's.

Play whatever doesn't compromise your enjoyment.

Rocket
July 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Strings!?!

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Play whatever doesn't compromise your enjoyment.
Exactly...I'm happy with the tone and the feel.

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Strings!?!

Who would have thunk it.

marnold
July 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I agree that the topic is overblown. I always use Billy Gibbons as my case-in-point. Many shredders, including the likes of Steve Vai will use 10s, but will also often use 9s to save their fingers a bit. Personally, I use 10s because I tend to pull notes sharp on the top three strings with 9s. On my Floyd I almost have to use 10s because I downtune to Eb. 9s in Eb are very flabby.

If anyone ever gives you grief about string gage, of all things, tell them that they are cordially invited to do something that is anatomically impossible with themselves.

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I agree that the topic is overblown. I always use Billy Gibbons as my case-in-point. Many shredders, including the likes of Steve Vai will use 10s, but will also often use 9s to save their fingers a bit. Personally, I use 10s because I tend to pull notes sharp on the top three strings with 9s. On my Floyd I almost have to use 10s because I downtune to Eb. 9s in Eb are very flabby.

If anyone ever gives you grief about string gage, of all things, tell them that they are cordially invited to do something that is anatomically impossible with themselves.
There are so many things that affect tone. Although strings are definitely a part of the equation, it also depends on the player, the guitar, the amp, how you EQ the amp, etc. Even using different picks affects tone differently. I've noticed that using a thicker pick, made out of a different material gives a slightly fatter tone than a Fender medium celluloid for example.

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Even using different picks affects tone differently. I've noticed that using a thicker pick, made out of a different material gives a slightly fatter tone than a Fender medium celluloid for example.

My oldest piece of guitar gear was originally made in 1942 and then modified in recent years. It sees good use.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/DSC00285.jpg

tjcurtin1
July 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You might want to try Ernie Ball 'skinny tops, heavy bottoms' (11 set lower three, 10 set upper three).

ted s
July 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Geez Strummi, that is really slick !, did you make that ?

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Geez Strummi, that is really slick !, did you make that ?

No, a guy over in England made me a bone saddle for one of my acoustics and he included a few things when he sent me the saddle, the pick happened to be one of them.

However,

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/default.aspx

bigoldron
July 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Here's a guy on Ebay that sells those quarter picks. He also has some cool looking clocks too:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgiantguitars

Check him out sometime! :AOK:

pes_laul
July 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I use earnie ball 10's used to use 9's but the 10's to me have much bigger tone

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Here's a guy on Ebay that sells those quarter picks. He also has some cool looking clocks too:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgiantguitars

Check him out sometime! :AOK:

Geez, I think I bought a bone saddle and got the pick and fret board radius gage thrown in for under $20 from a guy in England.

One of the Washburn folks might remember the guys name, but it escapes me. He had an eBay store.

hubberjub
July 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
.11 on my 24 3/4 scale guitars and .10 on my 25 1/2 and 25 scale guitars. I also use .13 flatwound strings on my Heritage Eagle.

Robert
July 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I use 09 - 42 GHS Boomers, but the brand doesn't matter much to me. For some reason, I get asked quite often on youtube and on www.dolphinstreet.com what strings I use.

wingsdad
July 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
D'addario EXL-110 (.010-.046) on all my electric 6's, regardless of scale length, as I can get them in multi-set packs at my dealer and save a few sheckels, with an occasional free trinket (like a Fret Polisher) wrapped in. The gauges in that set are pretty much 'universal' among other brands and makes trying various brands intonation-hassle-free.

However, on my 25.5 scale Fenders, I used to swap an .016 for the stock .017 G/3rd string to ease bending that one.

Bloozcat
July 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM
D'Addario XL Nickle wound in .010-.046 for me.

Years ago, I used Fender Bullets in .009's and even .008's sometimes. I find that I break far fewer strings now with the heavier gauge D'Addarios. I don't think it's the brand so much as the gauge.

Tibernius
October 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (10s) on my electrics and Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium-Lights (13s) on my acoustic.

And I've managed to find a place that sells them £10 for 3 sets. :D

Andy
October 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
D'addario EXL-110 by the case

duhvoodooman
October 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
D'addario EXL-110 by the case
+1

Well, not by the case--I buy the 10-packs when they're on sale for $30, which is often enough.

Andy
October 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
If cost was not important I would use the gibson vintage strings, atleast on my gibson.
excellent strings and long lasting.

I must have alot of acid in my skin, I go thu alot of strings.
probably from all the tomatoes we grow and eat.

Mr Grumpy
October 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Just tried a set of d'addario exl125 (9-46) after using roto yellow 10's for ages and im not sure I like them much.

just strum
October 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
D'addario EXL-110 (.010-.046) on all electric, except on my Wildkat which is getting D'addario XL (.011-.049) to replace the 11's that are on there.