PDA

View Full Version : Who are the new guitar heroes, if any?

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Here is an article from a while back in Rolling Stone listing Derek Trucks, John Frusciante, and John Mayer, and discussing their influences, most prominently Hendrix.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/the_new_guitar_gods_john_mayer_john_frusciante_der ek_trucks

Who else is out there? I'll even go as "old" as artists in their 40's. Who are the future stalwarts of rock guitar?

R_of_G
July 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Vernon Reid and Jonny Greenwood

They both outplay their contemporaries while constantly pushing the boundaries of what can be done with the instrument. Anybody else I would name would be considered outside of the "rock" label so I will stick with those two, for now.

BTW, I definitely agree with Derek Trucks being part of the label. He's phenomenal.

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Good call on Vernon Reid. Spud would be upset if I did not mention Roine Stolt, but I just looked and he is 51 or so. And Bonamassa is great as well, if you include his stuff in the greater "rock" category, I suppose.

Rocket
July 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Personally, I think the term "Guitar Hero" is forever tainted now.

marnold
July 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I'd say Joe Bonamassa too. I'd also include guys like Herman Li and Sam Totman of Dragonforce, Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu of Trivium, and Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom. You could throw in Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance from Avenged Sevenfold too. Actually, this is a really great time to be a metalhead and a fan of guitar virtuosity. My vote would be for the Dragonforce guys.

hubberjub
July 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's Mcgee (http://www.umphreys.com/) and Chris Michetti of Raq (http://www.raqmusic.com).

t_ross33
July 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
If we are going with players who are known to the "public", i.e. not obscure pickers who only appeal to other guitar players, gotta say Brad Paisley... brought twangin' and bangin' to a new level and guitar-centric country music mainstream (for lack of a better term).

Alex Lifeson has been getting some long, long overdue recognition of late :AOK:

evenkeel
July 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Vernon Reid, very good addition to the list. I saw Living Color at Shea Stadium, opening for the Stones. Steel Wheels tour. Great, great show and Living Color was terrific.

A young guitar slinger I like a lot is Johnny Lang. More blues oriented. Of the three mentioned in the RS article I am most impressed with Mayer. Certainly more pop oriented than some may like.

Good thread. Be interested to hear what other names pop up.

Mr Grumpy
July 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Matt Bellamy of Muse is a fav of mine, a unique and gifted player. Guthrie Govan, the Dragonforce boys (even though Im not a fan of uber-shred). Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro is an interesting and fiery riffer, Jonny Greenwood I suppose.

piebaldpython
July 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hey T-ross33......if you mention Brad Paisley, then you have to go with Keith Urban. Before he became MR. Nicole Kidman (ahahhaha), he fronted a group called The Ranch. They and HE were phenomenal. Just a marvelous CD. His solo playing is really good too.
Jonny Lang was really good too. Then he got religion and his entire musical view changed and there went the great guitar playing. His FIRST solo CD (Jonny Lang) and a previous group CD, Jonny Lang and The Big Bang, are super CD's for guitar playing.
Derek Trucks of course is AWESOME. Bonnamassa can be good but he often gets into HOW many notes can ya play and then I'm lost. Oh well!!

t_ross33
July 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hey T-ross33......if you mention Brad Paisley, then you have to go with Keith Urban. Before he became MR. Nicole Kidman (ahahhaha), he fronted a group called The Ranch. They and HE were phenomenal. Just a marvelous CD. His solo playing is really good too.

I agree. I actually prefer KU's style to BP's, but he's not as well known for his guitar playing so I went with Brad ;)

indianjjy
July 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Let us not forget Roy Buchanan......

piebaldpython
July 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
INDIANJJY........nice try on roy Buchanan but the parameters of CURRENT guitar heroes is in their 40's or preferably younger. Buchanan died back in the 80's. Supposedly he hung himself in a jail cell in Reston Va.
Allow me to clarify my Jonny Lang commnets. His CD before his "religion" thing was not good. Then the "religion" thing happened and the new direction that his music took was just devoid of "exciting" guitaring, for lack of a better phrase.
Oh yeah, the one guy who is on a par with Derek Trucks would be Robert Randolph. He brought his pedal steel away from typical country playing, flavored it heavily with the Pentecostal church (called "church" steel) and the guy is just breath-taking. The one guy you just absolutely/positively have to see LIVE. He is energized squared.

t_ross33
July 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
... Robert Randolph. He brought his pedal steel away from typical country playing, flavored it heavily with the Pentecostal church (called "church" steel) and the guy is just breath-taking. The one guy you just absolutely/positively have to see LIVE. He is energized squared.

:AOK: Huge props for Robert Randolph, though his steel guitar playing came strictly from a "church" background with little, if any, country influence at all. Kinda neat to see an iconic "country" instrument used with a different approach - I'd compare what Robert Randolph does for steel to what Hendrix did for Stratocasters :beer:

And if we are going to go to instruments taken out of their element, how about Bela Fleck's jazz banjo? Not guitar, but the man smokes!! :dude:

Back to guitar... BRENT MASON! I'm on a tele kick today :rotflmao:

jpfeifer
July 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I gotta give a +1 to Brad Paisley also. He's incredible at what he does. Kind of like the Eddie Van Halen for country playing.

I also think that Derek Trucks is one of the most original players out there right now. He's got the same thing that many of the great players have, where they play a few notes and you can tell who it is right away. There's not very many players like that.

But I'd have to say that the term Guitar Hero has a different meaning today than it did 20 years ago. I still think of a guitar hero as someone who is pushing the envelope of guitar in modern music, and has their own sound, etc. In the early days it was guys like Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, etc. But these days the term guitar hero seems to be attached to the guys that have more of the guitar slinger image (such as Slash) than it does the actual guys who are playing great stuff. No offense to Slash, he is a great player, but he is a basic rock player and not really in the same category that guys like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were in their day. (now I'm starting to sound like an old guy :-)

-- Jim

evenkeel
July 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I gotta give a +1 to Brad Paisley also. He's incredible at what he does. Kind of like the Eddie Van Halen for country playing.

I also think that Derek Trucks is one of the most original players out there right now. He's got the same thing that many of the great players have, where they play a few notes and you can tell who it is right away. There's not very many players like that.

But I'd have to say that the term Guitar Hero has a different meaning today than it did 20 years ago. I still think of a guitar hero as someone who is pushing the envelope of guitar in modern music, and has their own sound, etc. In the early days it was guys like Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, etc. But these days the term guitar hero seems to be attached to the guys that have more of the guitar slinger image (such as Slash) than it does the actual guys who are playing great stuff. No offense to Slash, he is a great player, but he is a basic rock player and not really in the same category that guys like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were in their day. (now I'm starting to sound like an old guy :-)

-- Jim

Agree with the Paisely/Urban comments. Terrific players. Especially when they can break out of the Country constraints.

As a card carrying "old guy" I also appreciate the old school vs new school sentiment. For me a lot of guitar gods of recent vintage are more about showing off technical skills than making music. Sure Hendrix and Page were incredible showman, but at least to my ears the music was always front and center. I'm not insulting the new crop of guitar "gods". It's a fine line between just showing off and making terrific music. Oh hell, I'm clearly just a old curmudgeon.

R_of_G
July 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Vernon Reid, very good addition to the list. I saw Living Color at Shea Stadium, opening for the Stones. Steel Wheels tour. Great, great show and Living Color was terrific.

I saw the same show. That was where I first realized how amazing Vernon was and I've been obsessed ever since.

TS808
July 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It's a shame that it seems like the days of the "guitar hero" are so overshadowed by the overwhelming number of "pop tarts" that seem to get more attention these days.

My vote is also for Joe Bonamassa...best live performance I've ever seen in my life.

Robert
July 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
How about Luther Dickinson?

North Mississippi All Stars and Black Crowes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Dickinson

By the way, we CAN have BRENT MASON on this list! He was born on this day, 1959! Happy Birthday to him. :)

Spudman
July 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm going to throw in Ben Harper and John Butler and John Mayer.

Jimi75
July 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'd say Joe Bonamassa too. I'd also include guys like Herman Li and Sam Totman of Dragonforce, Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu of Trivium, and Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom. You could throw in Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance from Avenged Sevenfold too. Actually, this is a really great time to be a metalhead and a fan of guitar virtuosity. My vote would be for the Dragonforce guys.

+1 for Joe Bonamassa and the Trivium guys. Definitely the new breed out there covering Blues on the one hand and Metal on the other hand.

indianjjy
July 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Trucks is good, Johnny Winter likes him and he can play the blues,but today I would have to go with Zakk Wylde, I have seen him play other than shredding and he is very developed, But in todays age, everything is shred,shred,shred. No personality, IHMO..........

Kazz
July 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Nick Sterling - hot young kid (either 17 or 18) from Mesa Arizona. Has opened for Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Tesla, Cinderella, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Gary Hoey, Peter Frampton, Gavin Degraw, BTO, and Jackyl.

Check out his myspace page, on his 3 cds, he plays every instrument and sings, his band is a 3 piece with him playing all guitar parts live.

wingsdad
July 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I'm going to throw in Ben Harper ...
+1 on that call, Spuds :AOK: The other guys also, but with Harper, like Robert Randolph, it's the taking of an unusual guitar, in Harper's case, the Weissenborn, both acoustic and and his custom electric models, and stretching its playing and sound beyond perceived style limitations in extraordinary ways. True, it's plain to hear the influence of David Lindley in what Harper does with a lap guitar, but Harper is an original.

Stretching the topic a bit more, I'd throw in dobro maestro Jerry Douglas, who also scorches the electric lap steel.

Spudman
July 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Trucks is good, but today I would have to go with Zakk Wylde

Both are really strong players. They just come from different approaches and backgrounds. Zakk is a player with a lot more depth than most folks might realize. Zakk's album "Book Of Shadows" is extremely diverse and deep with meaning and feeling.

I might also throw in Tyler Dow Bryant from Texas. He's a young guy and until recently was an Ernie Ball Musicman sponsored artist. Now he is with Fender. He's really just a kid and he can sing too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y54TkzeumU

R_of_G
July 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'd be remiss not to add Buckethead to my list. He's another one that is always pushing the boundaries of what can be done with the instrument.

sumitomo
July 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I can think of a few Luke Skyrawker,Frank Axle,Robert Renman,Jimi 75 and there is a few others too! Sumi:D

thearabianmage
July 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Guthrie Govan

+10

And John 5, maybe?

Robert
July 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
:drool: Is that my name is see above? :drool:

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I can think of a few Luke Skyrawker,Frank Axle,Robert Renman,Jimi 75 and there is a few others too! Sumi:D

Someones looking for a free Fretnet t-shirt with matching Fender Strat.

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
there are so many names mentioned here, a lot of them I have no clue who they are, but a +1 for Joe Bonamassa

marnold
July 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
+10

And John 5, maybe?
Good call! I'm ashamed I didn't think of him my own self.

TS808
July 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think one there are two guitarists who get overlooked, mainly because they haven't really found their style yet, but both have excellent chops. Both these guitarists are a bit (alot actually) SRV-influenced, but again, they are great, and I think if they ever find their own groove, they will even be better.

Mato Nanji from Indigenous and Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys really have some talent. Personally, I'd like to see less of the SRV-cloning going on...

pes_laul
July 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Personally, I think the term "Guitar Hero" is forever tainted now.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how manyu times I said something like "hey guys I learned the solo to sweet child o mine" asnd their like "whatever but I can play it on expert" or what not.

people take the game way to seriously like just the other day my buddy called me asking if he could borrow one of my guitars. I said why and then he said because I can play almost all the songs on expert and I think I could be a awsome guitar player.

oh I could rant on forever

warren0728
July 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
people take the game way to seriously like just the other day my buddy called me asking if he could borrow one of my guitars. I said why and then he said because I can play almost all the songs on expert and I think I could be a awsome guitar player.
lol...and then after he borrows it he calls you and says hey man where are the multi colored buttons! and whats with these metal string things....they're dangerous and make my fingers hurt!! :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww

pes_laul
July 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
lol...and then after he borrows it he calls you and says hey man where are the multi colored buttons! and whats with these metal string things....they're dangerous and make my fingers hurt!! :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww
chyaaa!

I have nothing against the game it's just the people that play it that drive me mad. heck I actually love the game.

But I would like to see them play guitar hero acousticly ;)

warren0728
July 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM
chyaaa!

I have nothing against the game it's just the people that play it that drive me mad. heck I actually love the game.

But I would like to see them play guitar hero acousticly ;)
yeah my son loves the game...the only good thing i see that has come out of it is a lot of the songs on guitar hero are good rock and roll songs (which he recognizes when i'm listening to the classic rock station in the car!!) :rockon:

ww

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
yeah my son loves the game...the only good thing i see that has come out of it is a lot of the songs on guitar hero are good rock and roll songs (which he recognizes when i'm listening to the classic rock station in the car!!) :rockon:

ww

I've never seen the game, hell I'm having a hard enough time with what I have.

sumitomo
July 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Someones looking for a free Fretnet t-shirt with matching Fender Strat.

Na just thought I'd lift up the guys who are always posting,and Mark Wein and Robert are always putting together lessons and posting to us for free and Im sure it takes a lot of their personal time (we really like it guys thanks) so to me their heros.Sumi:D:bravo: :dude: :rockon:

just strum
July 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Na just thought I'd lift up the guys who are always posting,and Mark Wein and Robert are always putting together lessons and posting to us for free and Im sure it takes a lot of their personal time (we really like it guys thanks) so to me their heros.Sumi:D:bravo: :dude: :rockon:

You haven't heard me play yet.

Every hero needs to be offset by a villain.

pes_laul
July 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
You haven't heard me play yet.

Every hero needs to be offset by a villain.
:bravo: your a clever one

warren0728
July 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Mark Wein and Robert are always putting together lessons and posting to us for free and Im sure it takes a lot of their personal time (we really like it guys thanks) so to me their heros.
+1000....thanks guys!! :bravo: :beer:

ww

street music
July 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM
In addition to those well know hero's o this site Mark Wein, Robert, CB, Spudman, and many more way cool pickers there has to be Brad Paisley , Bo Garrett, and the upcoming Roger Coleman.

Danzego
July 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Zakk is a player with a lot more depth than most folks might realize. Zakk's album "Book Of Shadows" is extremely diverse and deep with meaning and feelin

Agreed. I'm going to put another one out for Zakk Wylde. A lot of people here may not care much for him (that's fine; it's not primarily a metal messageboard), but he's a great player.

I loved his early Ozzy stuff and he has a couple of albums that really show what he can do in a non-metal setting (his Book of Shadows solo album that Spud mentioned and his Pride & Glory album). The first Black Label Society album, Sonic Brew, is a very good showcase for the non heavy metal crowd, also (it's metal, but not super heavy; very rockin').

Unfortunately, his newer Black Label Society stuff is too heavy on the chug a lug riffs and his solos don't have the same feeling they used to have; he seems like he's just trying to shred now and ain't even really trying. Even the latest Ozzy album he worked on was extemely bland.

Hopefully he'll make another rock album soon. :(

peachhead
July 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Agree with Derek Trucks for sure...Robert Randolph, as well. I didn't even know you could do that kinda stuff with a pedal steel.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Warren Haynes yet.... but since no one has, I will. :D

And I do have to say that in a way, the game is at least partially responsible for me getting off my butt and learning how to play this thing. We bought it for the kids right after Christmas and one day I said to myself...why am I standing here pushing these buttons and not learning the real thing like I always wanted to?
I wonder if that sort of thing happens more than we realize?

stingx
July 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I am a huge fan of Grant Green Jr. I used to go see him regularly when he was playing Terra Blues in NYC. Great, great musician just like his old man. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

warren0728
July 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I am a huge fan of Grant Green Jr. I used to go see him regularly when he was playing Terra Blues in NYC. Great, great musician just like his old man. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
just checked him out....nice stuff! :bravo:

ww

helliott
July 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm sure I missed him being named earlier, but just in case:

Warren Haynes. If you don't believe me, listen to the solo at the end of Beautifully Broken off the live Deep End CD/DVD.

R_of_G
July 23rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
While I agree that Warren Haynes is a great player, he is also 48 years old. I believe the original question in this thread asked about players under the age of 40. Otherwise Warren would likely have made my list as well.

Tibernius
July 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
I doubt anyone's going to agree with this, but...

I'd have to say Daron Malakian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daron_Malakian) and Ray Toro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Toro). Both seriously under-rated and capable of some great lead guitar.