PDA

View Full Version : Valve Sr

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
There is probably already a thread and I just missed it, but has anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Epiphone+Amplifiers+Valve+Senior+&go=Go%21

tot_Ou_tard
July 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yow! Pretty dang cool! Two 6V6 & 4 12AX7 in a 1x12 baltic birch cab.

There's also a Hotrodded valve jr head.

It has reverb & a gain control.

ET335
July 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hmmm! Haven't heard anything till now Strum.

But it should be another nice one from Epi... from what I read at Sweetwater.:AOK:

OH Good Grief more GAS!!!:thwap: :D

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Yow! Pretty dang cool! Two 6V6 & 4 12AX7 in a 1x12 baltic birch cab.

There's also a Hotrodded valve jr head.

It has reverb & a gain control.

I hear you get a tube patch kit with your purchase.

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I read at another forum that Epi had something on their site, but took it down. I didn't take the time to read the whole thread.

Rocket
July 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Something new rolled out at Summer NAMM'08... for some reason they removed the link at Epiphone.

just strum
July 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Something new rolled out at Summer NAMM'08... for some reason they removed the link at Epiphone.

Probably incorporating some mods that DVM and his buddies are already coming up with.

Bloozcat
July 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Oh crap, strum...you had to post this, didn't you...:thwap:

Now for the million questions: I wonder if this is wired like an 18 watt clone only with a circuit board instead of an eyelet/turret board? If it is, it could sound like a little mini-Plexi. I wonder if the guys at Epi learned from the Valve Jr., and just put the right electronics in it from the start so we won't have to mod it right out of the box? I wonder which tubes this amp is shipped with? JJ's would be best in a 6V6, and Tung Sol for the 12AX7's. I hope they at least use the JJ's (but, given the cost, they probably didn't).

OK, so who's going to step up and be the guinea pig here? I already had my turn in the barrel with the Epi Blues Custom 30...someone else's turn...:AOK:

ETA: I noticed that Sweetwater has a disclaimer attached to the ad. "Worth the wait", as they put it. Seems that there's an unusually long wait for Sweetwater to get these in stock. Epi must have found some problems...

mrmudcat
July 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7881/nsummernamm08akm2.jpg

Dug this up different cab colors
(orange the only color Id like or pink:thwap: ) and hotrod jr head(left top) now the sr.(middle top) and sr combo?(right top) i'm liking it!!!!

Blooz most likely they will be cheap chinese tubes that need changing.Wonder why the power tube change.:poke:

Bloozcat
July 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Blooz most likely they will be cheap chinese tubes that need changing.Wonder why the power tube change.:poke:

Nothing better to do....:D

warren0728
July 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7881/nsummernamm08akm2.jpg

Dug this up different cab colors
(orange the only color Id like or pink:thwap: ) and hotrod jr head(left top) now the sr.(middle top) and sr combo?(right top) i'm liking it!!!!
i like the orange color too!! :AOK:

ww

M29
July 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't like any of them...I just don't like em, I have to keep telling myself this over and over and over and...........

M29

Bloozcat
July 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
OK, now that I've calmed myself down, I've going with a plan on this.

Wait until the first ones find their way into the hands of several dozen people. Let them review them, discuss them, and report on any shortcomings of the amp. Then let the hard core amp builder/modders (the guys who are hard wired for this stuff), look at them, make suggestions for improvements, and maybe even try a few themselves. Finally, after the amps have been thoroughly vetted, then I'll buy one.

Or I might just revert to usual form and buy one as soon as they become available....:D

just strum
July 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
OK, now that I've calmed myself down, I've going with a plan on this.

Wait until the first ones find their way into the hands of several dozen people. Let them review them, discuss them, and report on any shortcomings of the amp. Then let the hard core amp builder/modders (the guys who are hard wired for this stuff), look at them, make suggestions for improvements, and maybe even try a few themselves. Finally, after the amps have been thoroughly vetted, then I'll buy one.

Or I might just revert to usual form and buy one as soon as they become available....:D

I think there will be enough people buying them right out of the gate that you will be getting feedback real quick.

I saw the note about not being available until September, certainly not getting a jump on the competition are they? I think the Vypyr might spell slow sales for this Sr if the Vypyr is a hit.

SuperSwede
July 24th, 2008, 01:16 AM
The Valve SR seems to be a great product.. anyone managed to find some pics?

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
So far, the multiple doses of Thorazine are keeping me calm after reading this thread.... :messedup: ;)

Robert
July 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Looks like a great idea and can't wait to see some Fretters go buy one!

Tibernius
July 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Sounds pretty similar to a Harley Benton GA15. I could be wrong though.

just strum
July 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I cantacted Gibson regarding the Valve Sr.

We don’t have a definitive release date at this time, but we are still hoping for some time later this year (possibly early winter). Here is the only info we have at this time:

Valve Senior Combo (also available in head/ cabinet version):

20 watt all tube, gain and volume for overdrive, Reverb is tube driven, 3 band eq with active midrange and presence, 6v6 and 12AX7 tube set, standby switch to allow tube warm up and cool down, high and low inputs, 4,8,16 ohm extension speaker outputs, 1x 12" 75 watt Lady Luck by Eminence speaker.

And to prove Rocket right (oh, it bothers me just to write it)

From Sweetwater:

Hi Mark.
Those are coming in early Sept.
I would suggest going with the Peavey setup.

The Peavey set-up he is referring to is the Vypyr 60 watt tube amp.

Rocket
July 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
And to prove Rocket right (oh, it bothers me just to write it)
When has it ever been otherwise?

just strum
July 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM
When has it ever been otherwise?

Don't make this any harder for me.

tot_Ou_tard
July 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
So it'll have tube reverb...very interesting!

Can someone with experience tell me the difference in tone between tube & spring reverb?

How do you think this compares with the H&K Tube Edition 20 that I just bought.

I have to decide whether to keep it & have the reverb fixed under warranty or send it back to Music123.

Bloozcat
July 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM
So it'll have tube reverb...very interesting!

Can someone with experience tell me the difference in tone between tube & spring reverb?

How do you think this compares with the H&K Tube Edition 20 that I just bought.

I have to decide whether to keep it & have the reverb fixed under warranty or send it back to Music123.

Spring reverb can be either tube driven or driven by solid state circuity. Tube driven reverb, much as with tube driven amplification in general, is warmer, thicker, deeper, and more organic sounding. Warm vs. sterile. Natural sounding vs. artificial that tries to sound natural. To the ear, tube driven reverb sounds much more natural. There are many solid state reverb units out there. Some sound pretty good, others awful. One thing they all seem to have in common, is in the way they all try to emulate tube driven spring reverb. That ought to tell you something right there...

tot_Ou_tard
July 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Spring reverb can be either tube driven or driven by solid state circuity. Tube driven reverb, much as with tube driven amplification in general, is warmer, thicker, deeper, and more organic sounding. Warm vs. sterile. Natural sounding vs. artificial that tries to sound natural. To the ear, tube driven reverb sounds much more natural. There are many solid state reverb units out there. Some sound pretty good, others awful. One thing they all seem to have in common, is in the way they all try to emulate tube driven spring reverb. That ought to tell you something right there...
Thanks Blooz, I was unaware that tube-driven reverb used springs...I guess that I thought that spring reverb was somehow string driven.

Whatever "driven" might mean.

just strum
July 29th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Whatever "driven" might mean.

usually associated with "to madness"

WackyT
July 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM
The spring reverb needs amplification before being mixed in with the main audio. Solid state reverb, such as in my Fender amp, uses an op amp to amplify, while tube reverb uses a tube to amplify.

tot_Ou_tard
July 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
usually associated with "to madness"
& also usually a very short drive.

Thanks WackyT that makes sense.

oldguy
August 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Resurrected this old thread, since the Valve Sr. does indeed now exist and is available.
The Jet City 20H has been getting plenty of attention, but this 6v6 powered head from Epi is worth a look as well.
Here's one of the better reviews, IMO.

limcPyX9WfU

marnold
August 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Looks like it should be a nice upgrade from the Junior. Sweetwater said it has four pre-amp tubes, which would have made me thought it'd have more gain. It actually has three and one of them is for the reverb, so that explains that. Found a gut shot here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=635300

The only thing I could really tell from the gut shots is that the one transformer didn't look anything like the size of the ones in my Jet City.

LeadedEL84
August 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Resurrected this old thread, since the Valve Sr. does indeed now exist and is available.
The Jet City 20H has been getting plenty of attention, but this 6v6 powered head from Epi is worth a look as well.
Here's one of the better reviews, IMO.

The amp sounds great. It's a perfect match with a Strat. Speaking of the Strat-what kind of strat was that? The fretboard inlays looked like saturn with the fancy 12th fret inlay.

hooch1
September 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I had a Jet City, now I have the Valve Sr. I really like the tone of the Sr better. I think build quality goes to the JC but the Sr is more versatile with more clean headroom. It also goes better with single coils than the JC. The one major drawback is the reverb sucks. But I don't use much reverb.